John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot?

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #11  
I believe but am not positive that the L series is exclusive to HD and that is all they sell. Kind of like the Scotts (by JD) tractors they replaced. Except for the paint they'd be pretty much unrelated to the ones you get at a dealer.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #12  
The L series (100, 110, 120 & 130 if I recall) are in the local JD showroom. They are priced the same as HD. HD does not have access to the rest of the JD line.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> L series is exclusive to HD </font> )</font>

You can buy them at the John Deere dealers too.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #14  
There has been talk among Deere shareholders (check for yourself on yahoo finance) that Deere might spin off the home lawn equipment division; that is probably where this comes from. Regarding the decision to play ball at the lower price point - they had no choice. Currently Simplicity is the only L&G company left standing with a premium-only lineup, and they are losing share quickly. The problem is that more baby boomers with $$$ are jumping up to the small diesels, leaving no market for premium gas lawn tractors - couple that with the (percieved) increase in quality from the likes of Craftsman and you have a marketshare problem.

I dont know who the GX3xx and X series buyers are....if I were going to plunk down more than $5,000 - I would rather have diesel and 4wd.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #15  
SteveM, the X595 is Diesel and 4WD. Nice machine a lot of landscapers use them in my area.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> (check for yourself on yahoo finance) </font> )</font>

I have not been there for a while ( JD yahoo finance) you can learn a lot there.
I would like for the JD stockholders to know about TBN and read some of the posts here,maybe the stockholders could learn something as well.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot?
<font color="blue"> </font>

I dont know who the GX3xx and X series buyers are....if I were going to plunk down more than $5,000 - I would rather have diesel and 4wd.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

<font color="black"> </font> Steve: In answer to your question, I guess I am someone who would plunk down more than $5,000 for one of these. I too would rather have a diesel (the GX355 is) and 4 wd, I am finding that to get that and the snow blower I need, I am looking at twice as much, about 10G. The BX1500 is really what I need but it is out of my ball park, at least as far as I have gathered from my local Kubota dealers. So basically, I looked at the next best thing, the Kubot 1860 and the JD GX355. I am leaning towards the JD b/c the Kubota 1860 is a manual (but spring loaded) lift on the blower. For that much money, I want hydralics, which come on the JD. Is there a tractor I am overlooking that is less than 9500.00 for a snowblower, diesel, & 4 wd?

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #18  
Yes, but selling stuff through Home Depot is a mixed blessing. Yes, you get lots of volume, but you are then negotiating very slim margins on those sales. There are all sorts of floor-planning, slotting, and co-marketing fees involved as well as delayed booking of revenue because the factory may still own the inventory on the shelves.

The other downfall of this is that the mom-and-pop local hardware stores cannot sell any mid-range machines because they cannot match the buying power and pricing of the big box stores.

When you need that lawn tractor fixed, Home Depot is not the place you are going to bring it, is it? What are they going to do, ring it up as a return and give you another one off the shelf?

Toro and Honda are / were playing the same game, but I don't think they are working it as hard as John Deere.

- Rick

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #19  
I noticed at the State Fair here in MN that some Honda garden tractors had the same body and deck as my JD GT242. I don't like the fact that HD takes sales away from us at the dealership. As the market for combines decreases we need all the customers we can get. I can only hope Deere is making the right decisions because it will affect my job. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #20  
I don't care much for the strategy of putting their name on anything and everything. It can cause problems with the brand down the line if they aren't careful. People will assume a $99 JD string trimmer is representative of the quality of their entire line. Already people wonder why they should ever pay more than $2000 for a LT when they can pick up a "JD" at HD for that.

It's also bad strategy to mess with your primary sales channel (dealers). It can take a while for those problems to show up but they can be devastating to the business.

I'm no fan of Tupperware but the biggest mistake they ever made was selling their product through Target. It didn't last very long, but long enough to decimate their channel. You aren't going to get $35 for a plastic bowl unless the buyers perceive it's something really special.