John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot?

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
Well, my search for a tractor upgrade led me to the local Kubota dealer today for a price on a BX1500 with a 54" deck and snow blower. (Incidentally, the price was an even 11 grand.) The figure exceeded what I can spend and I suspected that going in. I then got a quote for a 1860D that seems to be more in my price range. At any rate, I told the salesman/owner that I was also considering a JD GX355. I asked him how he thought they compared. He politely said that, in his opinion, the quality of JD lawn and garden equipment has slipped since Home Depot bought 51% of this JD division. I assume this is true but what I was wondering is should I think again about considering the GX355? Thanks in advance...

Gary

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #2  
I don't know anything about Home Depot buying 51% of the L&G division, maybe true, maybe not. However I haven't seen Deere's quality slump. You will find some distinct lines of Deere lawn and garden equipment. First the light weights that are sold at Home Depot. They are nice machines that were made for folks that wanted a Deere but weren't wanting to spend $3000 or more on one. And yes I know, the Depot sells a $4000 Deere. The next line is the LT series. They are built better than anything you will find at Home Depot. They are the basic lawn tractors. Then there is the LX and GT series. These are the heavy duty built to last series. You also have the new X series for the super serious lawn mowing maniac and sprinkle in the Spin Steer series for guys like me.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #3  
Makes one wonder what the Kubota salesman was smokin', or what he thought you would fall for. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deere didn't sell anything to Home Depot, but is permitting them to sell the beginning line of the introductory series.

Salesmen who lie are pretty shady characters. I would feel the same about a Deere salesman if he(she) made a comment like that about Kubota. Must be he is a bit jealous and feels a little shaky about his line of Kubota's to make up a lie like that. Hmmmm? Ask him to show that to you in writing, or give you his resource.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #4  
The GX 355 is a top notch machine. Very well built and they have a great Kawasaki motor. It's fairly close to our 320 and we have had over 400 hours of trouble free service. Believe me they are a great machine. I have seen older ones come in at the dealership I work for like a GX 325 and they appear to be beat to heck but they run and cut good yet. Good luck!

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #5  
coachgrd,

I'm a salesman /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and I don't think the Kubota dealer should state things like he did unless he has facts to back them up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I narrowed my search down to NH and JD in the end, $$$ and the dealer were what made my mind up on what to buy.

I had a JD dealer state some things about NH and Kubota, needless to say I didn't buy from that dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm sure both tractors are good ones, but you might want to look for another dealer if you decide on the Kubota /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #6  
Home Depot doesn't own ANYTHING of John Deere. John Deere lets them sell the lowest end units there. I do not think you can even buy the GX 355 at Home Depot. That's a higher end unit that only the deere dealers sell.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #7  
Kubota dealers would never have resorted to these tactics before...

But now that Daedong bought 51% of their brand....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #8  
<font color="blue"> He politely said that, in his opinion, the quality of JD lawn and garden equipment has slipped since Home Depot bought 51% of this JD division. I assume this is true but what I was wondering is should I think again about considering the GX355? Thanks in advance...
</font>

Hey Gary I wouldn't worry too awful much about it. I understand Home Depot is going for the New Holland line-up as well.....

Just kidding here guys. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #9  
PineRidge,

That would be a nice twist to see in a Home Depot, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe they will pickup some other brands also /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Then we can all go to one place, to sit on the all the brands and compare /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif heck maybe even have a TBN party at the Depot /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #10  
Right. The line of tractors badged JD available at HDepot were designed for that market to compete eith the Craftsman/Murray/HTD/ etc. class machine. The LX and GX series from JD predate this design are substantially more robust machines. The proof is in the pudding (where pudding = cash). The 18hp version (model # escapes me) is more than 50% less than my LX288 (also 18hp). Ditto for the attachements (btw, they are NOT interchangeable). Knowing that money taint everything, closer inspection to fit and build and stickers also bears this out.

Unfortunately for both JD and the diehards who swear by them, this sort of marketing historically has been very bad for manufacturing sectors.

Prior to WWII, there were over 200 automobile manufacturers in this country. After the war, dozens were unable to revert and re-tool to the post war market and worse, others who sold and badged PREMIUM products decided to compete in the DELUXE (volume) markets. This was there undoing. Let's see... PACKARD, REO, STUTZ, PEERLESS, PIERCE ARROW, MARMON, DUSENBERG, AUBURN, ROLLS ROYCE AMERICA, just to name a few. These monikers all represented PREMO and died when they tried to survive by making a product for John Q. Public.

This is also application to other durable products like airplanes, appliances, etc.

I was sorry to see Deere take this road. Hope it doesn't start to stink up the joint. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif