Comparison Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #1  

grobinson2

Tractor
Kubota 5740 w/EGR Delete
Good evening Guys,
I have been trolling around for a while now looking for this answer and while I have come accross quite a few threads where one guy or another will swear his tractor is the best I have not seen an answer to the following questions. Of course I understand that opinion plays into this and I am looking for openions and facts. I am a research hound and have been pooring over all of the specs of the following tractors. Please keep in mind that I would not be looking at a new tractor had my Kubota 5740 not had to just be in at Hoober for the last week being torn apart to have a seal replaced. I have grown up a Kubota guy. We started with a F2400 front mount and then a F3060 and a L4310 and a RTV 1100 and a Grasshopper with a Kubota diesel. We perchased our L5740 in 2013 and have been happy with the tractor but felt it was a little on the light side. We use it to run a PTO generator for our biodiesel processor and for loader and fork work. It is treated like one of my children and babbied to the max. I had 500 hours on the tractor when the main seal went out for the tranny and turned out to be a $4k fix that Kubota agreed to fix under warranty even though it ran out 15 days ago. So... My concern is that this is going to happen again since according to Kubota this "happens" on the 5740 and three other models. I do not want to have to deal with that type of repair now that the warranty has run out. I am seriously thinking of selling the tractor and going with a Mahindra 3550 or Kioti 6010. Both would be HST transmissions as is my current 5740. Price is not a concern sinse I should be able to sell the 5740 for about what the Mahindra or Kioti will cost. I feel the Mahinda is a much more heavily built tractor but I am not a huge fan of the loader or loader controls and I really like having my throttle linked to the HST peddle like the 5740 and Kioti have. On the Kioti the specs look good and quite frankly it looks like a copy of the Kubota. I do not need any of the other electronic features like stall guard or any of those other little items. Then of course there is the Tier4 BS. Kioti used that darn DPF which I would need to hack there system and remove once the warranty ran out. On the 5740 the only thing it had was EGR and I was able to bypass that and all is well. With the Mahindra there is only an EGR and cat which I am confident can be removed. We run B100 all spring, summer and fall as we are a small 7k a week producer. Winter time we run 100% dyno diesel with synthetic lubricant and cetane booster. So what do you guys think? We have perchased Kubota products in the past not because we were blind to the color orange but because they made a product that we felt best fit our needs. I still feel the 5740 is a good tractor but I am a bit disappointed that Kubota would not have a fix for this hydro leak and the next time I am expected to cover the costs. If the Mahindra offered a larger engine and better hydraulics I would probably go that route but they don't. Any comments or suggestions guys? Sorry all would be open station tractors in HST.

Thanks again,
Glenn

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #2  
Is the dealer willing to take your machine in trade with the egr deleted?

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti
Yes, but so would probably do better selling privately.

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #4  
How many PTO HP do you actually need to run the gennie efficiently?

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #5  
Are the repair parts that Kubota is using any different than what failed? If so it might be worth reconsidering. All brands will have problems. If I were looking at a different brand, I would look at LS. People seem to be very happy with few issues.

To run the generator under a full load it should have 50 HP or more but since we almost never run it under a full load 40 HP to 45 HP (PTO) would probably do... As far as the replacement parts go: Supposedly the seal has been changed from the original part but they can't say it won't happen again as it has in the past.

I really wish the Mahindra would have just used a 55 HP or larger engine in there 3550 as I really do like how the tractor is built. That and a larger hydro pump.

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #8  
We had the same issue with our L5740 at under 100 hours, really like it and will keep it. I won't replace it, but if I was, it would be with a Kioti or LS. I'm certainly no expert, so I rely on the knowledge, experience and advice from others as well as my own. My brother and I own several brands and nothing seems to remain static, yesterday's "off brand" is today's mainstream and I would buy today what I wouldn't give a second look a few years ago.

Competition has resulted in a lot of good choices from which to pick and brand loyalty, in my opinion is outdated and a poor standard by which to make choices.

I am leaning the same way but am really worried we will run into this again. How many hours do you have on your tractor now and have you had any other issues? Thanks again for responding to my post,
Glenn

/ Kubota 5740 or Mahindra or Kioti #10  
I would compare the commercial use warranties as part of the process....just in case. It sounds like other than the Tier IV stuff you like the Kioti setup better....very nice machine. I almost bought an NX5510 a few months ago.