Best chain lengths?

/ Best chain lengths? #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
I have a 20 ft chain that I use for moving rocks, etc..

Most times it is too long.

I'm going to buy a second 20ft chain to cut into shorter lenghts.

Any advise on what lengths are good to use, and for using grab hooks and
slip hooks?

/ Best chain lengths? #2  
Pretty much a unanswerable question as it depends on the job. Over the years I have found having multiple lenghts around is very handy. There is nothing more frustrating than having chain too short for a job or on the other hand one that is extra long that you have to contend with the excess length and weight for no reason. Having multiple lenghts at hand is money well spent in my opinion.

/ Best chain lengths? #3  
8' + 12', grab hooks on one end of each, slip hooks on the other.

For a 'B' series Kubota Grade 70 X 1/4" is sufecient, although a little difficult to find. I last bought at Rural King @ $2.29/foot.

/ Best chain lengths? #4  
For a 'B' series Kubota Grade 70 X 1/4" is sufecient, although a little difficult to find. I last bought at Rural King @ $2.29/foot.

Walmart has 12ft 1/4 inch grade 70 in the trailer hitch/tie down section around here. Plastic box about 5 inches square.

Bruce

/ Best chain lengths? #5  
I usually buy 20' lengths of 5/16th" grade 70 chain and 2 extra grab hooks, then cut the 20' in half and put the grab hooks on to give me 4- 10'ers. That length works great for me for tying down on the trailer and lifting most items. I do keep a several extra 20'ers, a 30'er, and 10'ers. For smaller tie down items I use ratchet straps.

/ Best chain lengths? #6  
Last edited:
   / Best chain lengths? #7  
I prefer two 10' for general use, and a 20' for occasional "pull the car out of the ditch" times that happen.

/ Best chain lengths? #8  
I prefer two 10' for general use, and a 20' for occasional "pull the car out of the ditch" times that happen.

dang Kenny how often do you have to pull the car out:D

/ Best chain lengths? #9  
I have been thinking about adding an extra hood on my 20ft chains I log with. Maybe 3 or 4 feet back. That would allow me to chain the log up closer for the times I have to snake around an obstacle.

/ Best chain lengths? #10  
Big chains are good to have on hand. I have a couple of 25 footers that stay in a 5 gallon bucket so I know where they are. I have several others much much smaller from 4 to 12 foot that are hanging on the tractor or implements. I like to think of the big chains as special occasion weapons.....but I don't want to be dragging them big jokers around every day.