What model to look for.

/ What model to look for. #1  

Wvminer

Tractor
None yet
hi to all. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I live on 8 acres of pasture, small Apple orchard. Plus I also have about 10 more acres Available as pasture. We keep beef cows and chickens. We heat with wood and coal. I'm trying to by my first tractor. Tired of using the 4 wheeler or borrowing a tractor.

I was thinking of getting a new compact tractor but hate take on another payment at the moment. I am considering getting an older used tractor to use for a few years till I get my truck payed off and the wife's car payed down. Only thing is I'm not sure what models to look for.

I'd like to keep it between 3-6 thousand. I'll be brush hogging, plowing snow a lot, hauling firewood (maybe pull some logs but no heavy woods logging), plowing/tilling a large garden, and just general hauling and lifting. I'd love a 4x4 with a fel, but in my price range I figure I can make due with a rear blade and a hd pig pole. Anybody have any suggestions? What models to look for or stay away from? Thanks.

/ What model to look for. #2  
I think a Massey 135, 235 or Ford 3000 in that price range would work for the chores you outlined. At least like you said until you get some other things paid off.

I'm sure others will chime in with other makes and models in that price range.

Anyway, maybe look at tractorhouse to get some ideas. For the chores you described I think you would get a lot more bang for your buck putting money down on used with a FEL instead of a new compact with same.

Btw, welcome and it is a good question and good luck in your search.