Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next?

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #1  

blackwell

Silver Member
Steel prices are jumping fast, some 30% since the first of the year. Talk is- it's heading higher by another 20 to 30%. Tractors and attachments use a lot of steel. Will tractor prices be next?

What are you hearing?

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #2  
I just bought a new trailer and the dealer said "just in time!" All his prices were going up to reflect higher steel prices......

Inevitable.

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #3  
I'm lost here, but I thought the dumping of Chinese steel in the U.S. was supposed to make everything cheaper? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #4  
wrong, the chinese are consuming all the iron ore, thier economy is booming, 75% rise in cars sold in china last year.

my company is hurting, threatening not to ship if customer doesnt accept material cost increase. Go figure.

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #5  
Ron, I hear you on the prices...been shopping for a new steel building (to house the tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) the last few weeks...getting quotes has been a lot like playing the stock market /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Signed the contract on a 30 x 50 this morning...the rep said they were expecting a big increase the first of March /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GareyD

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #6  
China's increase demand for steel from last year to this year is greater that the total steel production of Canada and Mexico combined. Flat bar steel has gone from $280 a ton to $680 a ton. It is like this purchase now because the next production by MFG's will be 10-30% more. JD has a 12% increase in combine orders and can not purchase the steel to make them. The priority for steel is defense contractors and the auto industry so the AG MFG's are scrambling.

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #7  
Steve,

I agree with what your saying, my company is getting orders this year at a fast rate compared to the last few years.

We are starting to get hit with longer deliveries and higher prices from our suppliers, not good for us considering our customers don't want to hear it, but what can you do /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think that Europe is also booming right now which is helping with the demand.

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #8  
I've been told to expect a thirty to forty percent increase in galvanized pipe prices within the next sixty days. They are a major wholesaler in our area. The manager told me they had twenty eight semi loads of import galvanized pipe at sea that was called back to the importer to wait out the price changes.

Less than a month ago we bought 58" V Mesh for $237.50 a roll. It is now $297.00

I've been told scrap prime is going for over two hundred a ton at the mill. China is paying over three hundred a ton.

Prices on installed fence that I quoted thirty days ago are no longer valid. I've been told by my supplier that giving anything beyond a ten day price guarantee is foolishness on my part. Between the rising fuel and now steel prices some folks are going to have to make some tough decisions. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #9  
Most commodity prices are going up and petroleum is not going down.
Aluminum and copper are increasing at double-digit rates. The biggest concern in my industry is pipeline protection and enforcement of “NTE” clauses in pricing contracts. This means pricing is not to exceed (read “No price increase”) over a negotiated period of time. It is very tough on suppliers to live with NTE, let alone continued price down pressure, when the cost of raw material is increasing.
Tough world out there but that’s why we make the Big $NT!

/ Rising steel prices!! Are tractor prices next? #10  
We had a 9% increase in the price of New Holland loaders just this month. So it is starting to happen!