Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers?

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #1  

JDL130

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota
Went looking at the Ariens riding tractors at Home Depot just because I had an Ariens snowthrower years ago that I had great use out of.

Noticed that every one of them had a black plastic hydrostatic transaxle. The whole outer transaxle case was plastic including where it bolts to the frame!

Also noticed the lower-end Deere tractors there had the same transaxle.

Is that the K40?

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #2  
Went looking at the Ariens riding tractors at Home Depot just because I had an Ariens snowthrower years ago that I had great use out of.

Noticed that every one of them had a black plastic hydrostatic transaxle. The whole outer transaxle case was plastic including where it bolts to the frame!

Also noticed the lower-end Deere tractors there had the same transaxle.

Is that the K40?

Is it plastic or or is it a composite graphite/epoxy casting? They are using a lot of graphite in aircraft these days for light weight/hi strength.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers?
I could have sworn it was plastic, it was black and very smooth. The rod you pull to put it into neutral to push it was even flimsier, looked like a coat hanger with a bend in it.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #4  
I sure would pass on them and wait until you see how many hit the scrap pile in a year or two.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #5  
It doesn't surprise me about JD having the plastic stuff, considering they use aluminum in some of their tractors.

That said, I haven't seen the plastic in any yet.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #6  
We had an Ariens snowblower back in the 1970s that was awesome, and still running great when my dad sold it 25 years later. Sadly, I don't think the Ariens of years ago even exists -- they seem to sub most of their stuff out to other companies, so it's mainly the Ariens name only.

There is one factory that cranks out almost all of the big-name box store power equipment except for Husqvarna and Deere. I don't think any of the box store riding mowers are any good, regardless of brand. It's sad to see the kind of junk they are pushing on people. And some of those mowers get into the $2200-2700 range, just with bugger engines and tires on the same junk.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #7  
Consider only the X310 and higher JD lawn & garden tractors. This specs the K58 or higher transaxle.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers? #9  
Looked at one at HD, sure looks like plastic to me and I can't tell who makes it, and I don't think it is a hydro gear.

/ Who makes the new Plastic Transaxle in the Riding Mowers?
Yeah, I was at HD again last night and looked again. Unless it was painted metal, it certainly doesn't appear to be the standard cast aluminum (rough feel) and the design is different from anything else I've seen. Maybe they have someone in China making transaxles like they are making knock-off Kohler motors for the lower-end MTD push and self-propelled units.