Buying Advice Need tractor buying advice

/ Need tractor buying advice #1  

Tractor
NA
Hello,

I'm new here, but not new to tractors.

I am looking for buying advice on a new or used cab tractor in the 35-45 hp range with hydro. My wife and I just purchased 14 acres and I will need to do some brush hogging and some tree limb maintenance. The main thing I am looking for in a tractor is comfort. I have SI joint Dysfunction and it is difficult for me to sit for very long and rough, bumpy rides will make it tougher. I prefer a cab because I would like to use for snow removal and general comfort.

I have searched for hours at some of the different tractors, but I would like some opinions as to the tractors that are comfortable. The New Holland Boomer 3040 seems to have the longest wheel base, which I think would equate to a better ride and the John Deere tractors have about the shortest wheelbase. I know I could always add an air ride seat, I'm just looking for advice for a guy with back issues.

Some of the makes and models I have considered.

New Holland 3040
John Deere 3520 or 3720
Massey Ferguson 1643
Massey Ferguson 1742

I don't want to spend more than about $32,000 for a tractor.

The closest dealers to me would be:
John Deere -20 minutes
New Holland -20 minutes
Massey F.- 40 minutes
Case IH - 25 minutes
Kubota- 20 minutes
LS - 1.5 hours

/ Need tractor buying advice #2  
how about a massey 1648.. There is a member here TSO that says he wants to sell his .. don't know how far away he is from u...He is in Michigan ...

As far as buying.. Go to the dealers and sit or drive their tractor around ,and see how each feels to you.. then , decide on what options you want....

You will probably get a lot more tractor for the $$ in an LS tractor than the others... But,, If it doesn't feel comfortable to you, it doesn't matter..

Incase you didn't know,,,, Kubota, and LS (maybe JD) are the only tractors built by them... all the others are contract tractors, built by someone else

/ Need tractor buying advice #3  
how about a massey 1648.. There is a member here TSO that says he wants to sell his .. don't know how far away he is from u...He is in Michigan ...

As far as buying.. Go to the dealers and sit or drive their tractor around ,and see how each feels to you.. then , decide on what options you want....

You will probably get a lot more tractor for the $$ in an LS tractor than the others... But,, If it doesn't feel comfortable to you, it doesn't matter..

Incase you didn't know,,,, Kubota, and LS (maybe JD) are the only tractors built by them... all the others are contract tractors, built by someone else

Don't forget Kioti as they also build their own machines.

/ Need tractor buying advice
Most of the dealers around me do not have any compacts on the lot so its tough to determine what would be comfortable. I have only sat in a boomer 3040 and that was ok, but I was not able to drive it. The John Deere seats are similar.

/ Need tractor buying advice #5  
   / Need tractor buying advice #6  
Most of the dealers around me do not have any compacts on the lot so its tough to determine what would be comfortable.

Well, what's comfortable for me, or someone else, May not be comfortable for you...

You say you have a bad back... You need a tractor that's right for you ..(if there is 1)

.. I would go somewhere and try B-4 I bought...

why didn't you try the boomer ??

different tractors have different operator stations , placement of controls, etc, than others..

The dealer was not open when I sat in the Boomer and it did not have Keys. It was sold when I returned during business hours.

Also, There is not a Kioti dealer anywhere close to me.

I'm 6', 190 lbs. I know that any tractor is going to be rough, I think I just need to find one that has good seat comfort or add an air ride seat.

Does anyone have experience with the LS XR4040 or 3037 cloth seat?

/ Need tractor buying advice #8  
It may be Turf tires, with their minimal tread and lower inflation pressure, will give you a less jarring ride than other tire options.

Last edited:
   / Need tractor buying advice #9  
WE can have arm chair debates but you really have to try the tractors out with air seats if available and see what you think. One advantage I have found with the hydros' is it is very easy to change your speeds when approaching bumps.

Anyone have a Deere compact with an air ride seat? I see they have some factory installed air ride seats.