Buying Advice John Deere or Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / John Deere or Kubota #11  
Personally, I would never buy a machine with the K46 transmission. It seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me to save a few bucks and get one with the K46 instead of the K58, which I consider to be the minimum acceptable TuffTorq transmission.

/ John Deere or Kubota #12  
Personally, I would never buy a machine with the K46 transmission. It seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me to save a few bucks and get one with the K46 instead of the K58, which I consider to be the minimum acceptable TuffTorq transmission.

I agree Pappy, but if I recommend the higher numerical models then I get accused of upselling. I solved my problem by moving up to the k92 transmission. All I can do is point out the problems and let the new buyer beware. All three of the posters with the k46 machines have new low hour machines. Given time we will see how that works out for them.

I call it as I see it, while I have all Deere in my signature right now I don't bleed green. If it is good I will say so, if it isn't I will say so. Most of the Deere equipment I have had has been good, but the L130/k46 tranny wasn't and the MX6 brush mower wasn't. I am loyal to my wallet, Deere can take care of themselves.

/ John Deere or Kubota #13  
While I have low hours on my x300- my la 135 se has 300+ hours. ( with weaker t40 transaxle) the key thing to keep in mind with x300 is it is a lawn tractor not a garden tractor, it’s not meant to tow heavy loads, mow for hours on end , acres of hilly terrain, ground engagement. The k46 or one of its variations is in more lawn tractors than all other transmissions combined

John Deere warranties the x300 for 4 years and 300 hours == thousands of x300’s have been sold since being introduced in 2006- it has been by far the biggest selling model in Deere X series.

/ John Deere or Kubota #14  
Teachu2,
If the Kohler was a horizontal shaft instead of the vertical shaft I would build a miniature version of a Lafitte skiff pictured below. Great for shallow water fishing.

Oh wait a minute now I would be abusing the Kohler engine.:D

Attachments

• thD0OJ54EX.jpg
    thD0OJ54EX.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 91
   / John Deere or Kubota #15  
Teachu2,
If the Kohler was a horizontal shaft instead of the vertical shaft I would build a miniature version of a Lafitte skiff pictured below. Great for shallow water fishing.

Oh wait a minute now I would be abusing the Kohler engine.:D

I'm not above abusing it - I'd just hate to not use it!

/ John Deere or Kubota #16  
The sad part is when the upgrade costs nearly as much as the whole mower does.

Buying the wrong machine is never cheap, but I promised myself years ago that I don't sell my problems without full disclosure.
I forget about the cost pretty quickly.

/ John Deere or Kubota #17  
Buying the wrong machine is never cheap, but I promised myself years ago that I don't sell my problems without full disclosure.
I forget about the cost pretty quickly.

This one came with the property. I'm considering installing a K70 transaxle.

/ John Deere or Kubota #18  
This one came with the property. I'm considering installing a K70 transaxle.

Hope you did not pay extra for it. I am very satisfied with the x749, while it is more costly at least it has a good transmission. Not any thing like the x300 and 100 series mowers. I will say that the L130 did a nice job mowing when it would move.

/ John Deere or Kubota #19  
I was considering a K66 upgrade kit for $1698, but am now leaning toward a $1900 flail mower.

/ John Deere or Kubota #20  
Hard to know the best way to go. It is hard to justify spending that much money on a 10 year old mower. Don't have any experience with the flail mowers but there are many on this site to discuss this with.

Status
Not open for further replies.