Buying Advice John Deere or Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / John Deere or Kubota #1  

fxm

Tractor
JD
Frank here Avon Ma,
Love this site and forum. Very informative.
I'd like some advise from you pro's. My father-in-law recently passed away and left me a JD 100, 42", 17 HP. My local dealer now carries the Kubota as well. Depending on who I talk to at the store I get mixed advise. This tractor is getting old and doesn't have the features I need.
All the frills not needed

My needs,
42"
Lg capacity bagger
ability to tow small trailer
as close to zero degree turn as possible
possibly automatic

What are your thoughts
Thanks in advance for your advise

fxmatchett@Comcast.net

/ John Deere or Kubota #2  
Don't recall which forum here I saw it, but posters here were writing about garden tractors and present day quality- who built what, so forth. I think that Husqvarna got mentioned as being okay, as well. Lowe's sells them, and I have had one like you described for about 6-7 years and it works well for us. Kohler engine, which used to be well thought of- don't know about today? I would stay away from Sears, based on my neighbor's experiences. If you can get away with it, a mulching type deck leaves the nutrients on the lawn...

/ John Deere or Kubota #3  
Buy a JD x300-- the number 1 rated lawn tractor by Consumer reports. The X series JD is light years better than 100 series. The bagger on x300 is superb has a tight turning radius( and does it without bending axles ripping up lawn etc that some other tractors are prone to)

/ John Deere or Kubota #4  
Buy a JD x300-- the number 1 rated lawn tractor by Consumer reports. The X series JD is light years better than 100 series. The bagger on x300 is superb has a tight turning radius( and does it without bending axles ripping up lawn etc that some other tractors are prone to)
+1 on that. Have just under 100 hours on my x300 and it keeps an acre of lawn looking nice.

/ John Deere or Kubota #5  
fxm;4181964 My needs said:
fxmatchett@Comcast.net[/email]

Don't know about Kubota but Deere doesn't make a mower that meets all of your listed requirements above.

The x300, x300R, x304, and x310 all offer the 42" cut decks.
The x 300R has a high capacity rear bagger with built in blower.
The x310 and higher can tow a small trailer.
The x304 and x324 have 4 wheel steering.
The x300, x300R and x304 have the k46 automatic which is not rated to tow with.
The x310, x320 and x324 have the k58 automatic which can tow a small cart.

My recommendation is to read the reviews on the Deere website on each of the mowers on your short list.
Decide which features are the most important to you.

/ John Deere or Kubota #6  
Above is incorrect - the X300 can tow small load on level ground- I own a X300 and right from owners manual

Stopping distance increases with speed and weight of towed load. Travel slowly and allow extra time and distance to stop.

• Total towed weight must not exceed combined weight of pulling machine, ballast and operator. Use counterweights or wheel weights as described in the attachment or pulling machine operator’s manual.

I suggest you talk to a john deere dealer - you dont say how much land you mow or type terrain ( hilly or flat)

here is a picture from John deere showing a 100 series tractor pulling a cart- ( BTW the X300 transmission is 25% stronger than the 100 series shown
John Deere

/ John Deere or Kubota
I'd like to thank you all for you feedback. The tractor I have now tows the trailer that I use in the yard, (3' x 5' ). I cut
aprox 1.5 - 2 acres on mostly ( 85% ) flat terrain. I can at least now go back and talk with them on their level. The X300R is prob what I should be looking at. Thanks again for making this a great place to look for advice.

/ John Deere or Kubota #9  
I just bought a X304. I like the All wheel steering and it runs and cuts great. I only have about 10 hours on the machine but so far I like it and it seems very well built.

/ John Deere or Kubota #10  
The x300R has a nice collection system which allows trimming from either side. Probably best route if you have to collect and get thru a narrow space. Reading the reviews it is easy to access that you need to install the high lift blades to this machine for optimum results. I have an MC519 collection system (19 bushel) with power flow blower on my x749 and Deere recommends the standard blades, I have found that the high lift blades make this work better. I suspect that Deere's concern is picking up debris with the high lift blades that will damage the blower. Don't know that for a fact but that is my take on it. If you use some sense and pick up the larger junk which can damage the blower and decks these collection systems work pretty well without clogging up.

The downside to the x300R is the transmission, it has the k46 which is in my opinion sub standard. Some posters think it is fine and others dislike it. I expect a new mower to last well beyond the initial warranty period. If you are looking for a long term mower I recommend you buy something with a better transmission or at least forget the cart. Make up your own mind on this but do the research before you purchase.

edited to correct model

Status
Not open for further replies.