Another noob here with questions...

/ Another noob here with questions... #1  

BetsyJxn

Tractor
None
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and don't own a tractor yet. We have a 15 acre farm, hilly with lots of trees, with standing water when it rains. We are looking for the right mower to use for the farm and I'm hoping for some good advice. There is a large slope next to our house that I don't think any mower could handle (it has a retaining wall at the top so there's no place to turn without being on the steepest part of the slope). I have no idea how we'll keep that trimmed; but we would like to do something faster/easier with the rest of the property. Right now we haul a rough cut mower behind a mule; but it's slow and clumsy -- very hard to turn around all the trees/stumps and it takes forever to mow.

Anyway, howdy!

/ Another noob here with questions... #2  

Attachments

• steinerfront.jpg
    steinerfront.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 163
   / Another noob here with questions... #3  
:welcome:
To TBN BetsyJxn from Alabama. While a mower is great for around the house, are you looking for a bigger tractor, a CUT or UT, for the rest of the 15 acres?

/ Another noob here with questions...
We really just need it to maintain the property. It's all pecan trees so we don't have a lot of construction/infrustructure to support, nor do we plan (for now) to put in anything else (this could always change). Our thing is that we aren't out there as much as we'd like to be, so we need ot be able to maintain it without having to spend days mowing each time. We look like the area deadbeats right now and the average quote we get for help doing it is about $500 per mow. Hoping a setup where can do it ourselves will have a decent ROI at that rate!

/ Another noob here with questions...
Thank you for the suggestions -- these are names I hadn't heard of and now we can look into them. Thanks!

/ Another noob here with questions... #6  
Hi and welcome to the forum. :welcome: I'm looking forward to hearing about what you upgrade to!

I'm going to move this thread over to the buying/pricing/comparisons section to see if we can get you some extra advice.

/ Another noob here with questions... #8  
You need an equal size wheel Ventrac or Steiner tractor.

I am sure both Ventrac and Steiner know owners that have adapted these machines to sweep up Pecans.