Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy?

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #1  
Tractor
JOHN DEERE 445 // KUBOTA RTV900XT
Aside from going with the better dealer, which brand is the better buy? I want to put my money into a solidly constructed machine that will last 20+ years with just normal maintenance. While I know no one has a crystal ball or magic computer, I hope someone can give me some help. I have owned a Kubota L3540 which I considered a very well constructed tractor and one I could see lasting for many many years. I sold it because it was far too large for my applications. I recently looked at a B2650 but the operator platform and fender flexxed everytime I got on and off of it and just made it feel cheap and flimsy with what looks like a pencil thin rear axle. I haven't seen the Mahindra yet but it will probably win me over if it is sturdier constructed. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion as to which is the better, longer lasting machine for the money. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles or electronic displays like my "L" had but needs to be a durable workhorse that can move mulch, topsoil, dig some holes, and move snow. Thanks in advance for any insight.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #2  
This is funny. I just sold my L3540 for the same reason. .... a little two large. I also looked at the B2650 but am turned off by the flex in the platform and fender. I've sat in a B3350 w/cab and everything felt solid. Not sure about the Mahindra.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #3  
Aside from going with the better dealer, which brand is the better buy? I want to put my money into a solidly constructed machine that will last 20+ years with just normal maintenance. While I know no one has a crystal ball or magic computer, I hope someone can give me some help. I have owned a Kubota L3540 which I considered a very well constructed tractor and one I could see lasting for many many years. I sold it because it was far too large for my applications. I recently looked at a B2650 but the operator platform and fender flexxed everytime I got on and off of it and just made it feel cheap and flimsy with what looks like a pencil thin rear axle. I haven't seen the Mahindra yet but it will probably win me over if it is sturdier constructed. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion as to which is the better, longer lasting machine for the money. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles or electronic displays like my "L" had but needs to be a durable workhorse that can move mulch, topsoil, dig some holes, and move snow. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Actual history of those machines may be somewhat at odds with your subjective impressions. Many, many times more of the Kubota B series tractors sold in US over past few decades than Mahindra Max, a more recent model, and by every measure I've heard, they are something of a benchmark for longevity and ruggedness. Unless Kub suddenly cheaped out that particular model - very unlikely IMHO - I wouldn't worry about it not holding up.

I wouldn't say anything negative about Mahindra though. Owners mostly have good things to report. Part of the way they market their equipment is to emphasize their heavy-duty build... kind of "old school" ruggedness, and they do tend to be heavy for their horsepower. If that appeals to you, by all means, follow your instincts. With either choice, you'll end up with a good machine.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #4  
Actual history of those machines may be somewhat at odds with your subjective impressions. Many, many times more of the Kubota B series tractors sold in US over past few decades than Mahindra Max, a more recent model, and by every measure I've heard, they are something of a benchmark for longevity and ruggedness. Unless Kub suddenly cheaped out that particular model - very unlikely IMHO - I wouldn't worry about it not holding up.

I wouldn't say anything negative about Mahindra though. Owners mostly have good things to report. Part of the way they market their equipment is to emphasize their heavy-duty build... kind of "old school" ruggedness, and they do tend to be heavy for their horsepower. If that appeals to you, by all means, follow your instincts. With either choice, you'll end up with a good machine.

Max26 or Max28 is light weight for a Mahindra. (1819 lbs w/o loader) Mine is ballasted and still light @ 3150 lbs) Loader is flexy. Loader controls jerky. Power is very good in shuttle form. I like the 8F x 8R shuttle shift compared to straight gear. 3 Pt is very strong. Not knowing B2650 up close, but Kubota's generally are built with more thought and quality. Max is good buy, if comparing list price.

You should try to get an hour of seat time on both. (PS Mahindra seat not so comfortable) Let us now which way you go.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy?

I understand the history and that along with prior purchases drew me back to the brand. When the operators platform and fender flex from just pulling on the grab bar or putting your foot on the step up then I think my impressions are spot on since that is the area I plan on spending some time and I think I'll be getting on and off of it on a regualr basis so over time I'd think something has got to fatigue and let go. The axle, engine, and drivetrain may be hallmarks of Kubota engineering but the operators platform and rear fenders are disappointing to say the least and seems Kubota has cheapened them for the sake of increased profit ... either that or they forgot the average American is not 100lbs

This is funny. I just sold my L3540 for the same reason. .... a little two large. I also looked at the B2650 but am turned off by the flex in the platform and fender. I've sat in a B3350 w/cab and everything felt solid. Not sure about the Mahindra.

Im not sure of anything at this point. I loved my L3540 when I didn't have anything around or near me ... it would eat up any task put to it. But when working on turf or in tight areas it far less than ideal and very heavy as well which made hauling it a challenge too. My trailer is a 10,000 lb GVW and I would say with loaded rears, FEL, and rear blade, I was pretty close to capacity.

Max26 or Max28 is light weight for a Mahindra. (1819 lbs w/o loader) Mine is ballasted and still light @ 3150 lbs) Loader is flexy. Loader controls jerky. Power is very good in shuttle form. I like the 8F x 8R shuttle shift compared to straight gear. 3 Pt is very strong. Not knowing B2650 up close, but Kubota's generally are built with more thought and quality. Max is good buy, if comparing list price.

You should try to get an hour of seat time on both. (PS Mahindra seat not so comfortable) Let us now which way you go.

I'll probably go with a HST since I'll be mowing a lot with obstacles and slopes. I always thought of Kubota as being a bit more refined and that is nice provided I'm not overpaying for it. The Mahindra's when I looked at them 5 years ago were certainly rougher around the edges but sure they have improved in that time. I want a smaller lighter tractor that will mow and not rut my lawn yet still be able to handle TLB work and snow removal. I want a capable machine that will get the job done and still fit in my barn.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #8  
The Mahindras are very well made, real tractor design, not a big lawnmower design, and generally have more fel/pto lift capacity and range as well as smooth hydraulics.

I won't knock any brand but I closely examined the top 5-6 brands and the Mahindra sold me as the best mix of quality, capacity, and price.

And they have a 5 year warranty.

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #9  
The Mahindras are very well made, real tractor design, not a big lawnmower design, and generally have more fel/pto lift capacity and range as well as smooth hydraulics.

I won't knock any brand but I closely examined the top 5-6 brands and the Mahindra sold me as the best mix of quality, capacity, and price.

And they have a 5 year warranty.

When I bought my Kioti 2 years ago, the Mahindras had a 5 year / 3,000 hour powertrain warranty and a 2 year / 1,500 hour bumper to bumper warranty. Has that changed?

/ Kubota B2650 vs Mahindra Max 26XL ... Which is the better buy? #10  
When I bought my Kioti 2 years ago, the Mahindras had a 5 year / 3,000 hour powertrain warranty and a 2 year / 1,500 hour bumper to bumper warranty. Has that changed?

I'll have to check my papers.