Where do I start? 7 acres...

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #51  
I think the normal viewer/poster her on TBN is a bit abnormal in the reality of small acreages. Or maybe I'm the abnormality.

Are we really suggesting to this man that he spend $20K on a tractor to maintain 7 acres?? Seems way overboard to me.

I mow more than 7 acres.

Wouldn't we better guide him to look for a good used unit? Such as was suggested with the used B7800 near him?? Then buy a lawn tractor or ZTR to take care of his lawn??

I just find it slightly confusing that a $20K tractor is needed to maintain 7 acres. Maybe add a zero (70), then it would be logical.

I don't see the dollar figure being as important as the size. You can spend $20K on a small tractor that nobody would call oversize for the OP's purposes. I'm sure there are people who have paid around $20K for a fully-optioned BX-25D, and that would be very reasonable for most people's uses on 7 acres....and on the small side for some.

The OP has never owned or operated a tractor before, so unless he happens to be a diesel mechanic it's probably not a bad idea to have a warranty, and a dealer who can give advice after the sale if something goes wrong that isn't a warranty issue. If he just buys a used tractor and then needs help, the local dealer has less incentive to be helpful.

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #52  
That B7800 did look to be a good deal.
I'm not sure what the terms of the OPs grant are - if there are any limitations on buying new vs used, etc.

I bought my first tractor new, in part, for the reason stated by GManBart: I didn't know how to evaluate a used tractor's condition and I didn't know anyone who did. The other reason that I bought new was that the used machines (at least around here) didn't offer much savings over new, or if they did their condition was rough. The 0% financing also helped, as we had just bought this place and I still had 2 years on a car loan. The warranty gave me an additional sense of security, even though I never used it.

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #53  
I think the normal viewer/poster her on TBN is a bit abnormal in the reality of small acreages. Or maybe I'm the abnormality.

Are we really suggesting to this man that he spend $20K on a tractor to maintain 7 acres?? Seems way overboard to me.

I mow more than 7 acres.

Wouldn't we better guide him to look for a good used unit? Such as was suggested with the used B7800 near him?? Then buy a lawn tractor or ZTR to take care of his lawn??

I just find it slightly confusing that a $20K tractor is needed to maintain 7 acres. Maybe add a zero (70), then it would be logical.
He's not just "maintaining" 7 acres, he's planning on FARMING 6 acres with ground engaging equipment. LIST price on a B2301 w/ FEL is about $17.5K. Add in the mower and you are at $21K. The B7800 represented a fairly good buy but it would still need attachments which will push the price up to near $20K. And you can't get diddly for a ZTR in the $3K pricerange.

So my wife and I are expanding our small urban farm to 7 acres (we are moving from the city to the semi-country). We recieved a grant to purchase a tractor (well, its enough to put a substantial downpayment). We dont think we need anything extraordinary or large and have been looking at what most manufacturers classify as "Utility Tractors". We have been looking heavily into Kubota B and BX models but dont have any brand preference at this point.

We need some help determining what would be the best option for us. We have about $7,500 to put down and dont want to spend more than $15,000 (I know most places have 0% financing). We would like it to be used for the following things (initially):
  • Tilling
  • Bucket for moving mulch/rocks/dirt/whatever
  • Something for basic digging
  • ability to have other implements attached easily
  • ability to pull - such as removing a stump

Keep in mind this is about 6 acres of tillable land and we aren't doing one large crop, so there will be smaller .5-1.5acre sections that we utilize. Some will be row crops, some wont be.

Id also like to mow my lawn with it if possible... :cool:

I don't see the dollar figure being as important as the size. You can spend $20K on a small tractor that nobody would call oversize for the OP's purposes. I'm sure there are people who have paid around $20K for a fully-optioned BX-25D, and that would be very reasonable for most people's uses on 7 acres....and on the small side for some.
What is
fully-optioned ??
A BASE BX25D-1 w/ FEL, BH, mower lists for $22,275.

And although I'm sure some can till w/ a B25D I bet tilling (or plowing and discing) 6 acres would be a long row to hoe.

The OP has never owned or operated a tractor before, so unless he happens to be a diesel mechanic it's probably not a bad idea to have a warranty, and a dealer who can give advice after the sale if something goes wrong that isn't a warranty issue. If he just buys a used tractor and then needs help, the local dealer has less incentive to be helpful.
It's "not a bad idea" but there is a great tradeoff in spending a limited budget on 1 tractor which will just barely do the job with no $$ left for attachments (like a tiller, pallet forks, quick hitch, etc.) and a used larger tractor in good condition with $$ for attachments.
When I started here in 2009 I had never owned a tractor before. So far my biggest repairs have been flat tires and hydraulic hoses. Hardly stuff requiring
a a diesel mechanic

Something like the B7800 would probably do the minimal but the OP needs to budget for implements to get his job done also.

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #54  
What is fully optioned?

A BASE BX25D-1 w/ FEL, BH, mower lists for $22,275.

And although I'm sure some can till w/ a B25D I bet tilling (or plowing and discing) 6 acres would be a long row to hoe.

Options...you know, stuff beyond the base model that are frequently added. Stuff like a quick attach for the FEL, a bucket for the BH (it's not standard), rubber stabilizer pads in case you're going to be on pavement/concrete, the 3pt hitch kit (again, not standard), etc. It's all going to add up to over $20K pretty quickly. The final price should be less than the website price, but how much less varies.

I'm not suggesting the OP should use a machine that size, just saying many people with that much acreage would feel this size machine is perfect...far from overkill for anybody, and they can still cost $20K.

My reply was simply that the discussion probably shouldn't be about how much a tractor costs...you can wind up at the same dollar figure with significantly different sized machines pretty easily.

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #55  
Options...you know, stuff beyond the base model that are frequently added. Stuff like a quick attach for the FEL, a bucket for the BH (it's not standard), rubber stabilizer pads in case you're going to be on pavement/concrete, the 3pt hitch kit (again, not standard), etc. It's all going to add up to over $20K pretty quickly. The final price should be less than the website price, but how much less varies.
Actually when I do a quick run through on the Kubota website the 8" BUCKET FOR BT602 BACKHOE is default for $361 and was included in the price I wrote $22,275.
I'm not suggesting the OP should use a machine that size, just saying many people with that much acreage would feel this size machine is perfect...far from overkill for anybody, and they can still cost $20K.

My reply was simply that the discussion probably shouldn't be about how much a tractor costs...you can wind up at the same dollar figure with significantly different sized machines pretty easily.
I agree that for 7 acres of land that or a small B might manage for many people, but if he is going to try and till/farm 6 acres a few more HP would be extremely advantageous. Starting out with insufficient equipment is a sure path to poor results.

I manage so far with a 50HP M4700 and about 300 acres. But I'm not trying to make money on it.

/ Where do I start? 7 acres... #56  
Actually when I do a quick run through on the Kubota website the 8" BUCKET FOR BT602 BACKHOE is default for $361 and was included in the price I wrote $22,275.

I agree that for 7 acres of land that or a small B might manage for many people, but if he is going to try and till/farm 6 acres a few more HP would be extremely advantageous. Starting out with insufficient equipment is a sure path to poor results.

I manage so far with a 50HP M4700 and about 300 acres. But I'm not trying to make money on it.

The backhoe bucket is listed under "Options" on the builder site and you can pick none, 8" or 12". It's an "option" according to them, and why I included it. Regardless, the final figure from the site is going to be north of $20K, and the actual price will likely be somewhat lower, but still in the ballpark of $20K which is what I've been saying all along.

Again, as I've said multiple times, I'm not suggesting the OP use a small B for his purposes. I'm just saying that the size tractor many people use for 7 acres is often a B or BX and that size machine can be in the ballpark of $20K.