Buying Advice Mahindra tractors

/ Mahindra tractors #1  

Hogtide56

Tractor
none
I recently purchased a cabin and 35 acres and am looking to get a tractor. I would be using it mostly for bush hogging (about 20 acres of flat pasture), some gravel driveway work, and occ moving some dirt around.
Think I have decided to go with Mahindra (dealer nearby and seem like good tractors from what I've read). Anyway, am having a hard time deciding between the 4530 with Shuttle shift or the 5035 with PST or HST, or if the 4035 would be enough tractor. I have never driven a tractor before and don't know if the HST would be the better option over the shuttle or PST, or if I would acclimate quickly to the shuttle and be happy that I saved some money for implements.
Thanks for any advice and help!

/ Mahindra tractors #2  
The HST/PST topic has been hashed around for years on this forum. If you do a search, you can find several hours worth of reading. My take on it, is that if you are doing a lot of ground engagement work [ plow/disk/etc ] you are better off with the PST. The HST is the better choice for any type of back and forth loader work/snowblowing or close quarters maneuvering. I have a 5035 HST, and with a set of forks on the front, the thing is just about the handiest thing a guy could want around the place. Nothing wrong with a shuttle, either. If it were me, I'd at least go with the PST... Best to spend some time on a few different types and then go with your gut. And remember, it's only money.... :)

/ Mahindra tractors #3  
Well, you got the toughest decision right. Picking the Mahindra that is. The rest is easy. If you don't have a lot of loader work, get the shuttle, otherwise just plan on spending an afternoon driving them and see which one feels right.

/ Mahindra tractors #4  
I'm using a 4035HST to do many of the tasks you are talking about and do them on hills. Very seldom have I thought more power or weight were needed.

/ Mahindra tractors
Thank you guys for your help. I ended getting a very good deal on the 4530 that I couldn't pass up.
$26k for the tractor, FEL, 6' Medium Duty Cutter, 7' Box Blade, canopy, and quick hitch.
Hope to be receiving it next week.:):)

/ Mahindra tractors #6  
Thank you guys for your help. I ended getting a very good deal on the 4530 that I couldn't pass up.
$26k for the tractor, FEL, 6' Medium Duty Cutter, 7' Box Blade, canopy, and quick hitch.

Good for you. Glad you found your tractor. I had a 2008 Mahindra 5525 for about 7 years and sold it when I moved back to the city. Great tractor.

Have the dealer weld chain hooks on the FEL bucket. I bought the skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option for the FEL on my 5525. About $1K. Add it to your tractor deal and the dealer might give you a nice discount.

Good luck.

/ Mahindra tractors #7  

Good luck with all that. Never drove a tractor ? Holy cow. You are in for a huge learning experience no matter what brand or model ! You will have a lot of "dumb questions" (they are NOT dumb, the more you ask and explore the better.) Why is it so hard to get the PTO attached ? Why didn't I buy an hydraulic top link? "Hey this box scraper is useless because I have to get off every 3 minutes to adjust the tangs." How do I keep from ripping this canopy off the tractor every other day ? It won't clear the overhanging branches. etc., etc. Twenty acres of flat pasture and a 6' cutter is a great place to get experience and answer the first 30 or 40 questions ! A lot of familiarization driving around the property before you go digging into the heavy stuff is a good idea.