Tier 4 ( i know, not again )

/ Tier 4 ( i know, not again ) #1  

BigRol

Bronze Member
Tractor
cub cadet
Am I right in believing that 25hp and under do not have to be Tier 4 compliant but some makers do so anyway? seen LS ad touting the tier 4 in the 25hp and others saying no need for it. So confusing. Thanks

/ Tier 4 ( i know, not again ) #2  
Am I right in believing that 25hp and under do not have to be Tier 4 compliant but some makers do so anyway? seen LS ad touting the tier 4 in the 25hp and others saying no need for it. So confusing. Thanks

Tractors under about 75HP have been Tier 4 "interim" for many years, some since 2008. That includes most of the tractors above/below 26HP up until the Tier 4 "final" specs kicked in around 2014. So those LS models are likely Tier 4 Interim compliant.

The real change has come for tractors over 26HP, which now must be Tier 4 Final. Anything under 26HP can continue to be Tier 4 Interim.

There is a big misconception that all old stuff was Tier 3 and all new stuff above 26HP is Tier 4, but that ignores the Tier 4 Interim category that has been around in various models since about 2008. Some people just didn't pay attention until the recent Tier 4 final specs kicked in, so "4" seems to have a whole new meaning now. In reality, it has been a gradual phase in. Most new compacts bought after 2008 have already been Tier 4 Interim.

/ Tier 4 ( i know, not again ) #3  
Tractors under about 75HP have been Tier 4 "interim" for many years, some since 2008. That includes most of the tractors above/below 26HP up until the Tier 4 "final" specs kicked in around 2014. So those LS models are likely Tier 4 Interim compliant.

The real change has come for tractors over 26HP, which now must be Tier 4 Final. Anything under 26HP can continue to be Tier 4 Interim.

I know from my own experience shopping in early 2014, as well as comments from TBNrs, some salesmen (pick your brand) have incorrectly kept referring to some of the Interim Tier 4 tractors as "Tier 3". I'll charitably assume it's from confusion, but I suspect it's sometimes to avoid getting into the weeds on the differences between Tier 4 interim and final, and to move what they happen to have available to sell. I think the jump from Interim Tier 4 to Final Tier 4 was greater in terms of compliance requirements than the jump from Tier 3 to Interim Tier 4, so that may be part of the rationale as well.

/ Tier 4 ( i know, not again ) #4  

No confusion. Engines 25 HP and less have been Tier 4 compliant since 2008. Regulations are in terms of grams per kilowatt-hour. Since engine output is so low, they are allowed a high rate and still product low total emissions. Therefore, these 2 classes. 0 - 10 and 11 - 25 were the first to be regulated to Tier 4 but required little change. Since everybody thinks of Tier 4 as addition of a DPF or DOC or both, its often missed that the small engines were regulated to Tier 4 seven years ago.

/ Tier 4 ( i know, not again )
Great replies, I had it in my head that tier 4 was some kind of modification or add on, but its a standard to be met and the 25 hp engines comply. Hope some of the salesmen read this. thanks