Loading of tires . . choices.

/ Loading of tires . . choices. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

I had my new sub compact tires loaded at purchase. Dealer used windshield washer fluid (don't know the type as yet).

I'm considering having my newer riding lawnmower tires loaded as well as the front tires on my scut that ive had for 3 months also loaded.

I've done checking on Rimguard locally and I can either have a rimguard dealer load tires for me or I can get the product from him to have it done (I have the needed adapter).

So I'm looking for opinions. Rimguard is 30% heavier than water . . so a tire full of Rimguard gives more weight than water based product.

1. I'm not going to use anything corrosive . . and this is Wisconsin so freeze protection is vital. Does anyone know if one fluid choice vs. another is heavier than water (pure antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, or other new products etc. etc.). I'm trying to decide if I can get more weight per gallon in one choice versus another to compare to Rimguard's 30% advantage.

2. If something has a weight advantage . . should I take the washer fluid out of my rears on the new scut . . . Use that fluid in the riding mower . . . and put the superior weight choice in the scut tires front and rear?

While cost is an ever present consideration . . Rimguard is a superior weight benefit and ok for freezing. However it is messier to install and tougher on air gauges. Another choice that is 15% or 20% heavier than water and anti freezing might be an acceptable tradeoff.

3. I'm wondering if straight anti freeze would be good for tires/rims. Also if it would give a weight advantage. Not premix . . But straight undiluted.

As background . . Rider will have a snowblower on it in winter (and has 2 differentials one for each rear wheel) it is a tractor format zero turn . . . and new scut will have the fel on with bucket and blade quick attach switching of bucket and blade. And yes concrete driveway and sidewalks have definite slopes as does our lawns in summer.

Input desired. Thanks.

/ Loading of tires . . choices. #2  
I would check with the dealer to make sure the fluid he used s not some of the stuff that is only good to 32 degrees. As for straight anti freeze you do know that the straight stuff will freeze or turn toa heavy slush.

/ Loading of tires . . choices. #3  
I used straight marine/TV Antifreeze. It's expensive but food grade if there is ever an accident ... tractor is used around livestock (that isn't mine). I think I paid just under $3.50/gal for it.

They also use this stuff to winterize pools etc.

/ Loading of tires . . choices. #4  
Antifreeze and windshield washer fluid are lighter than straight water.....

/ Loading of tires . . choices.
I forgot to mention a couple other alternative liquids for liading tires.

1. No Burst is avtrade namw for a group of anti freeze peoducts used in hydronic heating (pex pipe used for heating floors etc.). Based on dulution percentages it can go to slush at -0 f or -40 f or all the way at no dilution to -100 f

2. Geothermal pipe anti freezes

I also have extra of each if these (food grade).

/ Loading of tires . . choices. #6  
I would load the lawnmower tires with water, unless you plan on mowing in the winter. Personally I wouldn't bother, the lawnmower tires don't hold enough fluid to make any difference.

/ Loading of tires . . choices.
Regarding windshield washer fluids. Yes thetr are fluids available like Rain X brand that are designed for 32 and above. Works fine for heavier bug times (green in color).

Thrn therevare the traditional blue and purple colored fluids that are good at various minus xx f temps.

No Wisconsin dealer would use somethong not capable of at least -20 f and more likely -35 f. Nobody in this state forgets what -30 f feels like or the joys of the occasional warm winter when -10 f is the low temp.

We watched in disbelief this last year as Atlanta Georgia fountains froze several times while we sat at balmy 35 degrees sweating our fannies lol. In winter I'm outside in shirt sleeves at 40 or 45.