Looking for a second tractor, low budget

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
It's been 12years since being in the tractor market but the ensuring years have accumulated a bunch of three point (cat 1) attachments from post hole augers and wood chippers to sprayers and snow blowers. My primary tractor is a New Holland TC45D full hydro 4WD with a FEL, quick attach bucket, pallet forks, and grapple. A step in/out frame mounted back hoe rounds out the package. This tractor is a great machine.

The delima is the hassel in swapping out the 3 point implements thus the desire for another tractor. I would be satisfied with a two wheel drive, gear transmission, no FEL or other bells and whistles. Power steering would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I would choose diesel over gas and I'm open as far as brand in the 35 to 40 HP range. The primary use for the second tractor would be to power the wood chipper, buzz saw, and other like PTO equipment so independant PTO is a must.

Now, the budget: Not to exceed 6 grand. Would such a used animal exhist or am I crazy?

B John

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #2  
Sounds about like my situation, but I want to eventually replace a 9N and 8N. I'm considering the bigger Ford 800/900 series or the 1000 series Ford 4 and 3 cyl. tractors. Gas or diesel isn't a deal breaker, but diesel preferred. Ideally I'm going to look at a 3 or 4000 Ford. My neighbor has a sweet 3000 with a FEL but he won't sell it, says it's too handy around the farm and he uses it all Fall for his grain auger. I saw a nice Ford 3600 at a sale that the consignor would have taken $3,700 for it, but it needed a head gasket and I had no idea what that would cost to do have someone do it for me (I don't have the time or the shop to tackle it right now). I'd like to limit my cost to about where you are at too. I think they are out there.

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #3  
You might find something in that price range. The older Deere, Massey Ferguson, Ford, IH and so on might be out there, just try to find one in decent shape close to you. Just saying that what is available used in your locale is what is important

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #4  
A bigger older used tractor was what I was thinking, until you said independent PTO. I think it's going to be hard to find a tractor in the HP range with an independent PTO for your price range.

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #5  
When you threw in the independent PTO you curved the ball. As mentioned herein, the Ford 1000 series of tractors are great utility and light plowing tractors. I have the 2000 and 3000 running around 30-40 hp range. One has tranny PTO the other Live PTO. You do have to be sitting on the tractor to operate either which would be a problem for you. These tractors can be bought for under $5k. Both mine are diesels and were around $3500 about 10 years ago. Going to bet you will have to get into an imported tractor to get Ind. that small. I had an International that was a 1974 model 464 at 45 hp that had ind. It was an ok utility tractor also although it was a little crowded getting on and off and it was gas.....the reason I sold it. But for what you want to do, if you don't mind fooling with gas, or have cold winters and prefer it, it was a good engine...just cold natured. I bought it 4 years old with a new paint job, tire, and battery for $4500 from an IH dealer. Had only been used for mowing....reason it was so cheap....you guessed it, gas. This is diesel country.

HTH,
Mark

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #6  
Try a Massey ferguson 135. I have a 135 with independent PTO and power steering. A good deal at 2500.00. Can't beat that with a stick!!

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #7  
I see a bunch of Massey 230 and 240 series in that range as well as the 135's as mentioned.

Deere utility tractors like a 2150 or 2155 I see in the upper end of your price range are great tractors that fit your bill.

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #9  
When you threw in the independent PTO you curved the ball. As mentioned herein, the Ford 1000 series of tractors are great utility and light plowing tractors. I have the 2000 and 3000 running around 30-40 hp range. One has tranny PTO the other Live PTO. You do have to be sitting on the tractor to operate either which would be a problem for you. These tractors can be bought for under $5k. Both mine are diesels and were around $3500 about 10 years ago. Going to bet you will have to get into an imported tractor to get Ind. that small. I had an International that was a 1974 model 464 at 45 hp that had ind. It was an ok utility tractor also although it was a little crowded getting on and off and it was gas.....the reason I sold it. But for what you want to do, if you don't mind fooling with gas, or have cold winters and prefer it, it was a good engine...just cold natured. I bought it 4 years old with a new paint job, tire, and battery for $4500 from an IH dealer. Had only been used for mowing....reason it was so cheap....you guessed it, gas. This is diesel country.

HTH,
Mark

Unless it is an SOS transmissioned ford 3000,4000 They Do have independent PTO...

/ Looking for a second tractor, low budget #10  
A six thousand dollar budget is more than enough to find what you need. Just be patient, keep an eye out, Craigslist, check dealers often, or ask around. My MF263 has what you needed and then some and was within your budget.