Buying Advice Do I NEED or WANT a tractor?

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #1  

timrf79

Tractor
none
We just bought a house (November 2014) on 13 acres in North Alabama.
The property is hill side (everything is sloped, partially steep).
Out of the area about 1-2 acres is grass, the remainder is forrest.

I have a 1992 riding lawnmower, and I think I want to upgrade to a tractor with a FEL and back hoe, as well as mowing deck.
4WD to avoid wheel spin.

Eventually I want to put a trail in the forrest, possibly make a pond or pool. Maybe even have a level grass surface.

What are your thoughts?
Do I NEED a tractor or is this the kid in me wanting a "Toy"

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #2  
Welcome to TBN.................
Everyone needs a tractor and everyone wants a new toy so what's the problem.
I'd say something in the 30-40HP range would suit your needs but a 25-30HP unit would work well too. Figure what you'll think you need and buy the next size up.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #3  
As you live in Alabama, aren't your REQUIRED to have a tractor?

I used to live on the Gulf of Mexico. I have at least as much fun with my current tractor, my third, as I did with either of my boats.

General use tractors are not too good on slopes, especially for operators without experience.

I would consider a Ventrac, Steiner or Power Trac brand, all of which are engineered for slopes.

There is a specialty VENTRAC/STEINER forum and a specialty POWER TRAC forum here on tractorbynet.com. You need a certain mechanical aptitude to enjoy a Power Trac.

Most Newbies think they want an optional $7,000 backhoe. A significant number of backhoes sit in storage, unattached to the tractor, after the novelty wears off.

VENTRAC LINK: Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments

Attachments

• steinerfront.jpg
    steinerfront.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
   / Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #4  
Eventually I want to put a trail in the forrest, possibly make a pond or pool. Maybe even have a level grass surface.

Heavliy wooded, steep, and pond - When I see those words those task are better done by a dozer hired for your place for about a week or two depending on the size of the pond.

After the dozer work then see if you need a tractor for maintenance or if your mower will work.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #5  
Every time I say this I get in trouble after all it is a tractor web site, but consider a skid loader, it is worth a look. Unless you are actually going to plow a field IMO a skid loader will do everything you described. You will have to keep your current lawn mower.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #6  
You question is worded wrong, the question is "Why don't I have a tractor already". Its all about perspective!!!

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #7  
Mistake #1, coming to a place like this asking weather or not you NEED a tractor....duh....of course you do!

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #8  

I have a 1992 riding lawnmower, and I think I want to upgrade to a tractor with a FEL and back hoe, as well as mowing deck.
4WD to avoid wheel spin.

What are your thoughts?
Do I NEED a tractor or is this the kid in me wanting a "Toy"

I don't understand the question. You live on 13 acres, with hills, in north AL. You need tractor-like stuff done.

What was the question again?

More than likely the answer involves something that ryhmes with 'bota.

My .02. Don't kill the messenger.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #10  
You definitely need a 4wd diesel tractor with a loader.

Now do you need a backhoe? I don't know. I have one but I don't really need one but I get enough use to justify it ... at least so far. You can rent a hoe or mini excavator for about 200 a day. I don't know about putting in a pond with a small tractor mounted backhoe. I could dig a horse or cattle watering hole but a pond would be out of the question for my equipment. But there are a lot of potential uses.

As to mower deck. A tractor that takes a midmounted mower deck is going to be on the small size. 30 HP or so. But you could mow with a rear pto mower mounted on the 3pt hitch.

You didn't say how big your current mower is. If it can handle 2 acres, I say keep it and see how it goes
You can buy a new garden tractor mower for the price of my midmounted mower.