Tractor Sizing need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #1  

pdubdo

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Looking for my first tractor. Since I have absolutely no experience, I'd like to get y'all's opinions on what it feels like to bush hog all day with a tractor with 30-35 HP vs 40-45 HP? Big difference? or not worth the extra $$? Whatever I buy will be a land-clearing/mowing tractor primarily for land in southern oklahoma

Thanks for sharing your experience

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #2  
I had a L3200 hydro trans with 5' rotary cutter. It bogged down in tall thick stuff and bogged down going up little hills. I really didn't like it all. The few people that I know that have tractors in the 40-50 hp range don't complain about those two things but I never drove theirs so I can't tell you for sure.

Old farmer always told me figure what hp you think you need then go up two sizes and you should be good to go.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #3  
I brush hog and flail with two tractors, 27 hp gear drive, and 33hp hst, quite a bit with no problems. I am on a hillside vineyard, but don't allow anything to grow too tall for groundwater conservation. That said, if a bigger tractor won't hurt the budget, you probably won't be sorry down the road.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #4  
For what you stated your intended use will be, I would start with the acceptable minimum horsepower being in the 40-45 range. It takes bulk and horsepower to handle a bush hog or rotary cutter.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #5  
You're actually looking at a number of variables beyond just the engine horsepower. Generally speaking going from 35 to 40 horsepower means you go up in frame size (again, just as a general rule). The larger frame will normally have a longer wheelbase, and often bigger wheels/tires, and both help make for a smoother ride. Also, the bigger machine will often be a bit taller, and that can help get you above some of the flying stuff that comes out from under any sort of mower.

If you can swing it, a cab will make a huge difference in how you feel after a day of mowing....clean air, controlled temps, no worry about hitting hornet/wasps nests, etc. I have no doubt that at the end of the day, you'd be more comfortable after running a 35hp machine with a cab than a larger 45hp machine open station.

As far as power goes, match the mower to the PTO power and it really shouldn't make any difference other than how long the job takes. Most 35hp machines should be able to run a 6' rotary cutter just fine...you need around 30hp at the PTO to run a 6' rotary cutter unless you're just cutting weeds/grass. Going up to a 45hp machine might give you enough power for a 7' cutter, but they're longer, heavier, and pretty unwieldy in comparison. In fact, an 8' cutter with two spindles is shorter, and takes less power to run than a 7' cutter with a single spindle.

My LS had 38.5hp at the PTO and my Massey has 45hp at the PTO and I can't tell any difference in how they run a 6' medium/heavy duty rotary cutter. I also ran a 5' rotary cutter behind an 8N Ford with 20hp at the PTO and it was okay, but would bog a little in heavy brush (didn't really use it to clear anything heavier than saplings).

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #6  
We run a five ft.BH on our 32 HP and a six ft.on the 44 HP,both are good fits.The 44 HP is a cabbed tractor so very nice keeping the heat,bugs and dust out.As long as the BH is sized to the tractor you should have no problems.There are differences between a light,medium and heavy duty cutters.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #7  
How much acreage are you cutting?

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #8  
Going from my 40 HP to my 50 HP tractor was a 20% increase in power. With the same 6' cutter I can tell the difference. While I don't mow any faster ground speed, 3 MPH for both, it does not bog down and has a better cut.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #9  
I have cut 14 acers for 20 years with 35 hp and 6 foot cutter.Many times grass was 2 or 3 feet tall and it always felt like I had no reserve power. go with a massey diesel or international with 40+ horse power.