GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings Fellow Readers,

If you are thinking about investing in a tractor or tractor implement . . . or in various types of trailers:

I recommend you go to your state fair or a nearby state's fair.

Here is why. While state fairs are good for many reasons . . . I've gone to 8 of the last 9 in Minneapolis (late August and Early Sept.).

In one really big location . . I can see virtually every major tractor manufacturer's products . . with complete brochures and SEVERAL dealers worth of people manning each one.

My point for years has been . . see the new oroducts and existing products. As an example Cub Cadet usually has 12 or more riders and 6 or more snowblowers and 3 or 5 walk behinds. Kubota has the bx modtls, some b models and usually 1 or 3 larger midels plus skid steers etc..

See massey, jacobsen, grasshopper, ferris Etc. Etc. . These are typically company sponsored not dealer sponsored but staffed by multiple dealers.

You'll get information from company and dealer support people.

Yes its fun . . But it also gives you access to MANY choices.

Most state fairs are like this (not county fairs or interstate fairs).

Sit on them . . Measure them . . . Pull open the hoods.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #2  
Illinois state fair doesn't have the farm products like it did years ago. Maybe due to the farm progress show alternating between IL and IA. Just not much small equipment on display anymore in my area. The other reason why the dealers in my area have stop displaying product at the fairs, is they spend more money repairing damage to the equipment afterwards than they make on it.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #3  
I just find that there are too many interruptions at a show or fair. It's most annoying when you are talking to a salesperson, and you are cut short because he has to say hi to Joe, who just walked by. Plus, I have asked, but been denied trying a tractor at a show. I guess it's understandable, but I was left with the impression tht I could be better served any work day of the week by visiting a dealership.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #4  
Illinois state fair doesn't have the farm products like it did years ago. Maybe due to the farm progress show alternating between IL and IA. Just not much small equipment on display anymore in my area. The other reason why the dealers in my area have stop displaying product at the fairs, is they spend more money repairing damage to the equipment afterwards than they make on it.

peoria,il largest indoor farm show *meh* was a waste of time, last time it rolled around. there was more quadcopter remote control booths than i think actual booths for farm stuff.... the other booths in it was third party stuff that didn't even seem related to farming / tractors in general.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products.
My experience at the Minnesota State Fair in Minneapolis since 2006 has been there are many fine chances to see equipment. Its not the idea of driving it. I have been able to see 20 brands instead of the 5 brands near my home.

And it allows someone to know about product options that you only read about otherwise. Also . . because its not a Farm Progress Days event . . its geared toward a different information available there.

I don't know if the upcoming Minnesota State fair is unique to others . . . but the fair grounds is like its own little city. Some of the tractor vendors are permanent locations. In 10 days of the fair just over 2.3 million people pass thru. No "booths" unless you're selling widgets or food items or politics.

The kubota area is 60 feet wide and 120 feet deep. John Deere is 1/4th of a city block square with a permanent building on part. My point is . . In one location . . . A healthy person can spend an entire day just seeing machinery brand choices to help expose themselves to many options.

Now I said healthy person . . . because there are many choices to see in big areas. Meanwhile the wife can go 3 or 4 city block lengths in 4 directions to see what I'm less interested in.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #6  
The NY state fair isn't much for equipment, but the Empire Farm Days is a great show.

Will

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products. #7  
Down south where I live, the Sunbelt Ag show in Moultrie the end of October is probably the place to go. Some years you can see lots and lots of equipment. Some years just lots of equipment. I went to the state fair in Perry and enjoyed the crafts building and one of the bands. Not much ag equipment on display.

/ GO TO YOUR STATE FAIR to see products.
I've never been to the wi state fair because of distance and timing - it just ended. The iowa state fair is going on now and the minnesota state fair is aug. 27 thru sept. 7th

I'd always heard about "machinery hill" . . . the large 6 or 7 sq. block center of the fair. It was everything I imagined and more.

Maybe this year I'll also.look at trailers for hauling my new tractor too. The specials are usually very attractive at the couple dozen trailer vendors.