Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist?

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Can anyone point out a few machines that I could look at? I am considering picking up a small dozer as my business expands. But I would like something that I could trailer around easily. I am rated to pull around 18,000 pounds but would like to keep the machine under 10K on a 14K trailer (trailer would weigh around 3K).

Or... Would a tracked skid steer with a dozer blade be okay for site grading? I'm worried that the skid steer would be prone to the same issues that a tractor has: due to where the loader connects, when the blade would start digging it would cause the machine to dip and dig in ... Whereas the dozers short arms would keep the machine level and be more efficient.

Thoughts and/or recommendations?

Last edited:
   / Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #2  
Price range? This will make a big difference. First ones that come to mind are CASE & John Deere, but they will have to be older to be small enough, 350s and 450s I think. Mitsubishi and Komatsu have some small units.

It actually is unbelievable how much these small machines will do. :cool: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 795
   / Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist?
Price range? This will make a big difference. First ones that come to mind are CASE & John Deere, but they will have to be older to be small enough, 350s and 450s I think. Mitsubishi and Komatsu have some small units.

It actually is unbelievable how much these small machines will do. :cool: :thumbsup:

Valid Q ... But I'm not really sure. As always, the less the better. Looking for used. I honestly don't know where the price range falls, because I don't know which models are small enough. Every time I think I've spotted something small enough, I look up the specs and it weighs too much. Saw a CAT DC3xl HST today, thought it looked right, but turns out it weighs over 15K !

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #5  
Valid Q ... But I'm not really sure. As always, the less the better. Looking for used. I honestly don't know where the price range falls, because I don't know which models are small enough. Every time I think I've spotted something small enough, I look up the specs and it weighs too much. Saw a CAT DC3xl HST today, thought it looked right, but turns out it weighs over 15K !

I had a JD 350B and wish I had never sold it. If you dont know anything about tracks get someone who does and have them check it out. If the tracks need to be repinned and the rollers are bad it will cost more than you payed for the dozer

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #6  
   / Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #7  
   / Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #8  
can't spell it but a good operator on a 150 tak skid can do as much as one on D3 dozer

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #9  
Maybe a case or JD. A Cat D3 weighs 18,000 pounds. An old D2 might weigh less than 10,000. You probably could buy a bigger truck cheaper than a laser guided skid steer. A skid steer just can't push like a dozen anyway. After some more research a case 350 weighs about 10,000 pounds, and a case 450 weighs about 13,000 pounds.

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #10  

I think that you should be able to find a 350-450 Case or JD under 15k. If you want newer, then the Japanese models. I would think that you could find a good machine for under 20K.

New Holland and Landini also have crawlers, Get them basically new from lease returns where they were used as pull tractors in the vineyards. Up to 100hp in an under 10,000lb machine. They seem to be pretty nice machines, but they are not cheap.