Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #1  

kyabrams66

Tractor
2009 JD 5101e
First post! Absolute newbie to the world of tractors and need help. My wife and I close in a little less than a month on a 124 acre farm. The farm used to be nice pasture/hayfields and tobacco fields before the previous owner (absentee)decided to let it all go wild. That was about 7-8 yrs ago. Now much of it grown up and will take lots of work to get it back to its previous state. A few areas are thick with brush honeysuckle and scattered saplings up to 4". Some areas aren't thick with anything but briers and weeds. The land is gently rolling hills and about 90 acres is tillable. I'd like to get it all cleared and be able to do corn/soybeans within 2 yrs.

What is going to be the appropriate tractor for the job? I'd like to be able to bush hog, and down the road be able to do hay operations and possible crops.

I was thinking, after much reading, 2wd, 70HP min , used, less that 3000 hrs and a budget of 20-25K for used tractor and new BH. Beyond that I'm pretty lost and looking for advice. I stopped by the local fertilizer/seed store yesterday and spoke with a guy I've known there for a few years and he recommended New Holland, Kubota, MF, and JD for tractors and Woods and Land Pride for the BH. He also recommended a FEL for brush clearing.

I also stopped by a local tractor store and got a guy to give me some direction. They didn't have much inventory but showed me a lightly used
JD5065E 65HP, 2014, 400hrs asking 17,900 and a new Woods 10 ft BH for 6,900.

Any advice appreciated.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #2  
There are better minds on this site to advise you other than me. My only advice would be if you are color blind there are several good brands to choose from. The fit and feel of the tractor goes a long way. Get a little more tractor than you think you need for future work.

May need to consider two tractors. A full size and CUT or SCUT for the light work.

Welcome to TBN.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #3  
I second the advice above.
70 hp seems like it may be on the small side if your long term plan is corn and soybeans.
Don't get me wrong you can certainly farm with much smaller but then all the attachments get smaller and the tasks take longer.
I assume that you will be doing the field work nights and weekend (like myself).
If it were me I would get a 50-60hp for the lighter tasks BH, FEL, ect. And then a tillage tractor later on closer to 100hp. The tillage tractor does not have to be fancy, just a workhorse like a Case 970. They can usually be had quite inexpensively.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #4  
If you are more specific with your Kentucky location the readers here may know of equipment for sale meeting your needs.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question
Thanks for the input guys. I'm located in Central KY Madison-Fayette Co.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #6  
That 65hp tractor isn't enough to run a 10' hog. I run my Mx10 with 69 pto hp and wish I had more sometimes.

If you are asking us about tractors I'm gonna bust your bubble and suggest you don't get into farming unless it's a hobby.

Last edited:
   / Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #7  
How far are you from Somerset, Ky? Barlows over in Somerset has a Kubota M9000DTC (4wd cab model with 90 gross HP and 80 PTO HP) listed on their website for $27,500 with 2,200 hours. Don't know if that's a deal or not, but they are a well regarded, reputable dealer.

For the size of your property and the jobs you listed, I'd want something with enough HP to run a batwing mower - at least 12' wide and, preferably, 15'.

I'd also suggested getting a Ratchet Rake to pull out the brush, and a grapple to move the brush to a burn pile.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question #8  
70 HP at PTO minimum...this means an 80 HP tractor or more since I am sure you will want to plow, cultivate, and disc. An idea to consider is to first buy a used and relatively beat up but fully functional smaller heavy duty bush hog (say 6' wide) then get a newer and larger one after you have your land reclaimed. If the land has been let go for that long an older heavy duty narrower bush hog will do well and you can get a medium duty 10' wide mower for maintenance and it wont get all beat up.

/ Another help me figure out what tractor fits my needs question
Sorry I haven't replied sooner but vacation took me away. Thanks for the replies. It sound like the equipment needed to reclaim the farm is not going to be the same as what would be recommended for maintenance. I've got a guy coming to have a look at if this is a dozer job or a bush hog job or a combination of the two. I'm taking my time on the tractor purchase and still trying to learn. It still amazes me what a 25-30 yr old tractor can go for!!