I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #1  

Sprinklerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 1925 Kubota bx 24
I have a friend who I have known for 30 plus years , He wants a 15 ft boston whaler type boat that I dont use . The boat runs I just dont use it . He has a farm in west Va , and there is a 1970's gas ford tractor with a loader and implements that he doesnt use or want . I havent seen the tractor , but he said they ran it 2 years ago. It sits in a garage . Boat is worth $ 1600.00 . So i figure what do I have to lose , we both get something . But its 4 hours away .

He cant remember what model it is but it has a 5 ft bushhog on it . Anybody have any Ideas what it could be .

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #2  
... 1970's gas ford tractor with a loader and implements ... Boat is worth $ 1600.00...

If you need another tractor, you have nothing to lose. If you've priced your boat's worth correctly, you're way ahead. Tractor w/loader and implements (including a 5ft bush hog) is worth more than $1600. Even if the tractor wasn't running. Hopefully you're looking at a running 3000 or 4000, but I'm guessing Ford made more than two models during that time period. So there is no telling what it is.

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #3  
I've owned several of both and you will likely be better off with a tractor instead of a boat. Heck worst case scrap it. LOL.

Boats are fun but can be really expensive if you figure the costs per hour of use. Kinda like campers.

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #4  
I've got a 24' pontoon boat and trailer that I'd like to trade for another tractor! These days I have more fun on a tractor or riding mower.

(Good grief-I just realized how boring that sounds.......but at my age I don't care anymore!!!!

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #5  
I think I'd jump on that deal because I don't see much chance of you losing. Chances are it's a Ford 1600 or 2000, or maybe you'll get lucky and it will be a 2600 or a 3000. The only way you could lose is if it's an old broken down 8n and the implements are really crusty.

I'd be lured by the grab bag nature of the deal. The anticipation on the way down to get it would be great!

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #6  
Make sure of the value of your boat too. I have a 15' Whaler too and it is worth more than I thought, closer to $9k-$10k. Haven't seen many worth only $1600. Might be worthwhile to get an opinion from Continuouswave.com. A ford 2000 is a good small tractor imo. Popular for mowing and well built.

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #7  
Your friend have a camera?

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade
Make sure of the value of your boat too. I have a 15' Whaler too and it is worth more than I thought, closer to $9k-$10k. Haven't seen many worth only $1600. Might be worthwhile to get an opinion from Continuouswave.com. A ford 2000 is a good small tractor imo. Popular for mowing and well built.

its not a whaler , its a mckee craft .I know what its worth .

/ I am going to gamble a bit on a tractor / boat trade #9  
Have your buddy send a couple of pictures to you.