Buying Advice Equipment upgrade Advice

/ Equipment upgrade Advice #1  

nitrod98

Tractor
1963 Ford 2000
Hi All, was hoping to get some advice from the experienced folks on here. I've currently got a 63 ford 2000 with a Dearborn loader and pie wheel weights. I use it on my deer property in northern WI which consists mostly of low elder brush bogs that stay spongy pretty much all summer long. I mow and repair existing trails with it but every time I get off the established trails I pretty much sink the tractor in the mud. I'm wanting to clear some of the brush and break and smooth new trails to access other parts of the property, but I just don't have the right piece of equipment for the job. So.... here's where the advice comes in, I'm looking at upgrading to a new LS 2025 with a loader, or an older crawler/dozer. I'd like to stay in the smaller light equipment types so I can still move it with a 1/2 ton truck. Who has experience running either type of equipment on this type of ground? I know the crawler has more upkeep but if got the job done, I'm willing to work on it. The LS tractor is small, but new with 4wd. I just hate to make that kind of investment only to sink that tractor in the mud like my current one. Thanks in advance for your input!

/ Equipment upgrade Advice #2  
You'll be hard pressed find much of a crawler than you can tow with a half ton truck. Perhaps an older 2 cyl JD, or maybe a Case 310- not sure of the weight. It they may be around 7-8k pounds. There will be work to do on them, but they will handle soft terrain better than any wheeled tractor.

Will

/ Equipment upgrade Advice
Thanks for the reply Will. I've been eyeing a old Oliver OC3. It's supposed to weigh in around 4k pounds with the blade.

/ Equipment upgrade Advice #4  
I have similar ground as you have wet bogs. If you get a dozer you need wide tracks. The OC3 may go across them or it may get you out farther before going down. I first bought a 420 gas JD and I could haul it with a 1/2 ton truck. Then I bought a JD 350B with wide tracks. It did twice the work of the 420 in half the time, BUT it would not go thru the bogs unless you were pushing dirt ahead of you. What I did was dig sand out off the high ground and use it to make trails across the wet stuff moping the brush down as I went. So far the trails are holding up to the wear I put on them and it had been 20 years. I just keep them maintained with my tractor and loader

/ Equipment upgrade Advice #5  
Thanks for the reply Will. I've been eyeing a old Oliver OC3. It's supposed to weigh in around 4k pounds with the blade.
I had an OC3, it was an AG tractor designed in the late 1930's. Mine had a Ware loader on it.

They are not geared low enough for serious dirt work, but there is a solution, add a Ford Model A transmission ahead of the 3 speed transaxle: Cletrac.org - Auxiliary Transmissions

hg_cutaway Model A (1).jpg

/ Equipment upgrade Advice #6  
I didn't think of the old Oliver's-they probably would be in your weight range, along with older Allis Chalmers Hd-3s and some of the small Terra-tracs. Good luck.

Will

/ Equipment upgrade Advice
Thanks to all for your advice and expertise. I'll keep ya posted with what I end up getting. Maybe I can talk my wife into just letting me get a tractor and a crawler!