Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #1  

Jonohio

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 MF GC1710TLB
Hi folks,

Long time reader and I'm finally at the point that i've started shopping around of my very own Kubota.

About this purchase:
1. The BX is the only line that will fit at my current property.

2. I want to stay around $10k for a complete setup (BH, Loader, Snowblower, Mower), if possible.

3. I've found a local BX2750 snowblower and RCK54-23BX mower used at reasonable prices, but will probably need a newer mount or shaft.

4. I want to stay away from the BX models with the reverse and hydro frustrations.

It seems like any BX loader models are pretty rare in within 800 miles of me and most of the ones I have found are $14k+

I found a '11 BX25 that was a commercial landscapers and I have yet to see it in person, but cosmetically it looks quite used, while that can be cleaned up in part, i'm mostly concerned with its mechanical history and maintenance.

In 4-5 years it has acquired around 1075 hours. Pictures are attached. Price is just under $8k.

My questions for the experts in the room:
1. Am I crazy for what i'm seeking in the price range that i'm at?
2. Are BH units as rare as they seem?
3. What do you think about this particular unit?
4. What are the major service intervals for these units? Is anything major at the 1k-2k intervals?
5. Are there wear/tear and maintenance items that I should be on the lookout for with a unit that was used 250+ hours a year? I don't mind a rig with cosmetic issues but definitely don't want one that was mechanically ignored.

Attachments

• 2011bx25-front.jpg
    2011bx25-front.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 2011bx25-rear.jpg
    2011bx25-rear.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 2011bx25-RR.jpg
    2011bx25-RR.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 2011bx25-operator.jpg
    2011bx25-operator.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2011bx25-RL.jpg
    2011bx25-RL.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 143
   / Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #2  
Honest feed back? Hey! This is the internet! Nothing here but ideas suggestions opinions and dire warnings.

You might need to go on your best thinking. ;-)

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #3  
The landscaper tractor was probably rode hard and put away wet . Good deals are out there , but they are hard to find and be the first one there . I picked up a bx24 with 110 hours for a such a crazy low price , I dont want to say . ( Guy down the street got divorced and was moving cross country the next day , I was there to buy something else and ended up with a bx 24 and didnt know how much i needed one)

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #4  
Tough call. Just look it over carefully, make sure everything seems to work, check the fluids (most commercial users will at least put the date/hours on filters when they change them, so they know when to do it again) and keep looking. This one looks pretty beat, from the one photo that had any detail. On the other hand, if you really only can invest $10K in all that stuff, this may be the one for you?

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #5  
Equipment used commercially by many operators often does not have the care factor built into their operations scenario like an individual like you or me. Although I know guys that ignore maintenance on every thing they have also.I have a 2011 BX with 1500+ hard HRs and it is no where as beat as that picture shows. Tearing up and welding on a patch for the curl cylinder is indicative of a careless operator. Landscapers around here tend to not be mechanically astute and small companies working on a shoestring. Maintenance may well have been; a when I have time thing. the BX 25 is a excellent choice for a small place. Sure has done well for me. I think you need to raise your sight on price if you need to get something soon. A good BX around here is probably around $12-13K if low hours, if you can find one. Think about a new one with the $0 down, 0%, and five year contract Kubota has. That is what I did after looking at a lot of used stuff. Dealer up here has them for $15995 if you add two implements to the deal.

Oh the decision making process?

Ron

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #6  
2. Are BH units as rare as they seem?

BX25s are a tractor+loader+backhoe package. Kubota sells bizillions. One of Kubota's most popular rigs.

I would be wary of commercially used tractors, especially small tractors which may have been asked to tackle heavy, heavy tasks.

If you just have PAINESVILLE, no state, in your profile, how will anyone notify you of used TLBs near you?

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #7  
I'm with the others here... and am a BX owner. Can't tell too much from the pics, but it looks beat... just not cared for. I think if you are patient, you can find a lower hour homeowner owned machine that hasn't been 'rode hard and put away wet' as Mr. Sprinkler said. That was my initial gut thought too. While there is probably many more hours left in that machine, I would want to see records at least of maintenance. Price is definitely fair if maintained and in working order but I would need proof of service. Why are they ditching this? Commercial guys tend to shed and buy something else when the tool they are using is giving them issues. What are they???

A homeowner tends to sell their machine because they don't use it... not because it is worn out. This is where the deals are if you are patient. Disclaimer... I'm not. I bought new with Zero down and Zero financing... but I also figured this thing would be my last. Hoping for 20+ years with around 100hr per year. Your needs may vary.

If you #2 requirement is hard, good luck... to get all the capability you are asking you will have a high hour machine... and be prepared for a big repair bill or several if you don't have the resources yourself to repair. You might need to raise your $ figure some to get your wishes. I hate the pay me now or pay me later... do yourself a favor and look it over hard and get a second opinion as yours may be biased. Good luck!

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #8  
That machine has been used and abused! Move on and don't look back!

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback #9  
If you don't want to spend a lot of money up front buy new. You will not have the "is this a good tractor" questions and you will have a warranty. KATC is a cheap insurance package that comes with a financed tractor. The last three tractors I purchased I put them on the trailer at the dealer and took them home with no money down, no interest, a 5 year pay out for about half as much as you would pay for a car. $200 - $300 month.

If you are bound and determined to buy used - the B3200 I traded for the L3901 had 1200 hours on it. Engine oil and filter changed every 100 hours, HST oil and filters changed every 400 hours as per the book. The unit was not beat up. If something got broken I repaired it. Dealer is now asking $12k for it. No regrets on upgrading.

/ Potential purchase, 2011 BX25, looking for honest feedback
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I'm going to pass on this beat unit, but it does seem like any used BX TLB units are in the mid teens for price. At those price points I'm going to consider a new purchase and stop by the local dealer.