SCUT big enough?

/ SCUT big enough? #1  

TullyCreek

Tractor
None
New here.

I'm looking into finally purchasing a tractor for my 22 acres. So far I'm looking at a used BX25. Need a FEL and BH. The terrain can be hard Adobe type soil, and a good portion of the digging will be in an area with large buried rocks near a creekbed. I have been pretty convinced a small tractor is all I need, but I'm concerned about it dealing with the rocks and hard ground. I'm new to the tractor world. Not looking at anything too old as repairing machines is not a strong suit.

Would a tractor with less than 25 HP be strong enough? I know weight would be a consideration. Would the BH add enough weight to matter?

We are in a remote location and travel time makes shopping, testing and such something that can only be done on a limited basis. I want to make any travel count.

I have seen listings for newer BX25, a B20, a new Mahindra 22, LS 3010 and an JD 855. Trying to keep the budget in mind.

/ SCUT big enough? #2  
New here.

I'm looking into finally purchasing a tractor for my 22 acres. So far I'm looking at a used BX25. Need a FEL and BH. The terrain can be hard Adobe type soil, and a good portion of the digging will be in an area with large buried rocks near a creekbed. I have been pretty convinced a small tractor is all I need, but I'm concerned about it dealing with the rocks and hard ground. I'm new to the tractor world. Not looking at anything too old as repairing machines is not a strong suit.

Would a tractor with less than 25 HP be strong enough? I know weight would be a consideration. Would the BH add enough weight to matter?

We are in a remote location and travel time makes shopping, testing and such something that can only be done on a limited basis. I want to make any travel count.

I have seen listings for newer BX25, a B20, a new Mahindra 22, LS 3010 and an JD 855. Trying to keep the budget in mind.

Would like to know more about how you intend to use the tractor. Mowing? Large garden plot? Landscaping? First impression is that you will be better served with an L model tractor. I have had two B model tractors. They are tough little machines and you can do a surprising amount of work with them. My B7510 has a mid mount 54 inch mowing deck now. It is a lawn mower on steroids. My B3200 was a great little machine, but was recently traded for an L3901. I regularly mow 2 acres. It took 3 to 4 hours on either B model. Now can mow the 2 acres in two hours with the L39 and 72 inch finish mower. Faster than the zero turn I sometimes use. I am moving a lot more material faster with the L39 model. I operated the B3200 in mid range HST and found it to be quick and nimble moving material. The L39 is just as nimble, a bit quicker and I am operating it in low range. I have the FEL, but not a BH. The FEL is listed to lift almost 1500 lbs. I am moving many tons of limestone. Figure I am moving 11 to 12 hundred pounds with every bucket full. That is right at half a cubic yard. I can load my trailer with 10 buckets with the L39, took 14 to 16 with be B3200. IMHO the B3200 would be just right for 8 to 10 acres but would be a stretch for 22 acres.

/ SCUT big enough? #3  
I have a b2650 for only 5 acres and 2 of my parents and have wished I'd gone bigger a few times, I feel I made the right choice for what I had but any more land and I'd definitely want an L or bigger. Just my opinion but a bx wouldn't be my choice for 22 acres

/ SCUT big enough? #4  
Hi. Welcome.

My BX is a dynamo but would agree with wcampbell47 and mecan an L would probably be better for you if you are doing mostly FEL and BH work. Mowing would also be quicker with a larger mower that the L can handle. An L would not have to work as hard.

/ SCUT big enough? #5  
New here.

Short answer? No.

I was in the same boat you were, same size property and looking at a SCUT. Close look at what I wanted to do and SCUT specs, as well as reading here happened. I ended up with 35HP, and it's the smallest I'd want. It gives you a little room to play with. Well worth the extra money.

/ SCUT big enough?
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

It wouldn't be used for mowing. I have lots of sheep for that!

We have lived here for ten years, and have been able to borrow a tractor on the rare occasions we needed one. Now those options are harder to come by, hence the thought of buying.

The land is mostly level, with a slope at one end. No brush work, few ( very precious) trees. Plan for the tractor is to install a few water lines, some drainage work, cleaning horse paddocks, moving some rocks and digging holes for the occasional dead sheep. Some planting and a bit of fence work as well. Perhaps hauling water, though not sure about that if I get water lines in.

If I go with something larger, not only am I out more money, I'm not sure what benefit the size would give me other than faster improved digging, unless a smaller machine just doesn't dig well in my ground. That would be important to know.

/ SCUT big enough? #7  
How much of your 22 acres will actually be worked by the tractor?

It does not take much "load" or "resistance" before the load moves a small tractor, rather than tractor moving the load. Weight is as important as horsepower.

If you are buying new there is a divide in emission control complexity/cost at 25-hp. Basically, if you need more that 25-hp, it is not cost effective to be in the category 26-hp to 30-hp. You may as well go from 25-hp to 35-hp.

You may WANT a $6,000 Backhoe, as do most tractor newbies shopping, but you do not NEED a Backhoe for your described tasks. Much simpler, less expensive attachments will suffice. Better to put the $6,000 into a tractor with a heavier frame.

Last edited:
   / SCUT big enough? #8  
I'm looking at a used BX25. Need a FEL and BH.

The terrain can be hard Adobe type soil, and a good portion of the digging will be in an area with large buried rocks near a creekbed. I have been pretty convinced a small tractor is all I need, but I'm concerned about it dealing with the rocks and hard ground. I'm new to the tractor world. Not looking at anything too old as repairing machines is not a strong suit.

With a BX25D seems to me you will inevitably bend its relatively light components with the loads described.

A new Kubota L2501 has 1,200 pounds more weight with a 25-hp engine. Still not enough weight, in my opinion.

If you fill in your T-B-N profile, city and state, readers will tell you where good used equipment is available within an hour or two. Happens often.

/ SCUT big enough?
I was looking a newer used, because of budget. When did the emission rules go into effect?

The rocks, though plentiful, are not huge. Most would be less than 200#. Average would likely be 75#. They are buried somewhat.. The drainage and waterline work would be above the rock zone.

We borrowed a neighbors tractor ( some weird brand, looked like an old MF but wasn't) no BH. I'm not sure of it's size, but it seemed bigger than we needed. We were using it for digging post holes. It was too big for horse area cleanup. This is what has me leaning to a SCUT. Hmmm. Going to have to rethink this.

/ SCUT big enough? #10  
It's easy to spend someone else's money but my 2 cents would be no. I've got two tractors, one scut and one UT. I do have a small BH for the UT and it doesn't have the umph to even dig in Texas clay. For your needs my personal opinion would be a CUT for general work and rent a BH when needed. I'd onĺy purchase a full size BH if I needed it most days for some years of use. Otherwise you're not getting your moneys worth. Depending on paddock size I think a skidsteer would be preferable.

Good luck.