Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours?

/ Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours? #31  
I think it's based on the desired answer. If the manufacturer is concerned about recording engine revolutions they will install a pro-rated hour meter. If they are concerned about simply recording time that the engine is running they will install a simple electronic meter that starts ticking when power to it is initiated.

In regards to the Kioti, a simple test of turning on the ignition key and walking away for 30 minutes or so will answer which type it is.

/ Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours? #32  
I think it's based on the desired answer. If the manufacturer is concerned about recording engine revolutions they will install a pro-rated hour meter. If they are concerned about simply recording time that the engine is running they will install a simple electronic meter that starts ticking when power to it is initiated.

In regards to the Kioti, a simple test of turning on the ignition key and walking away for 30 minutes or so will answer which type it is.

Won't that tell us only whether it's time measured minute-for-minute whenever the ignition switch is on? I'm assuming that when, for example, Kioti claims they measure "real working hours" in the DK series, there is something more sophisticated going on. With modern computer systems, it could easily be done with software, and it would not need to be a straight linear relationship based on an increase or decrease in engine speed. For example, at below 1000 rpm, the software might be programmed to record at a rate of .25 hrs clocked per 1 hr elapsed. Between 1000 and 1500 rpm at a rate of .5 hrs clocked per 1 hr elapsed. Between 1500 and 2200, at .75 per 1 hr. Between 2200 and 2700 (or whatever full rated PTO speed is on the tractor), at 1 hr. per 1 hr.

Whatever approach a tractor uses to clock time, unless it's simply minute for minute the design engineers have to make certain assumptions as to what constitutes a "real working hour." It's those assumptions that I'm curious about. :scratchchin: It's just a curiosity. We could experiment by running the tractor for awhile at different rpms while measuring elapsed time against time recorded on the hour meter. But we'd still just be backing into the algorithm, and I'm not sure my need to know is all that strong right now. :laughing:

/ Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours? #33  
Won't that tell us only whether it's time measured minute-for-minute whenever the ignition switch is on? I'm assuming that when, for example, Kioti claims they measure "real working hours" in the DK series, there is something more sophisticated going on. With modern computer systems, it could easily be done with software, and it would not need to be a straight linear relationship based on an increase or decrease in engine speed. For example, at below 1000 rpm, the software might be programmed to record at a rate of .25 hrs clocked per 1 hr elapsed. Between 1000 and 1500 rpm at a rate of .5 hrs clocked per 1 hr elapsed. Between 1500 and 2200, at .75 per 1 hr. Between 2200 and 2700 (or whatever full rated PTO speed is on the tractor), at 1 hr. per 1 hr.

Whatever approach a tractor uses to clock time, unless it's simply minute for minute the design engineers have to make certain assumptions as to what constitutes a "real working hour." It's those assumptions that I'm curious about. :scratchchin: It's just a curiosity. We could experiment by running the tractor for awhile at different rpms while measuring elapsed time against time recorded on the hour meter. But we'd still just be backing into the algorithm, and I'm not sure my need to know is all that strong right now. :laughing:

I feel your frustration and amusement. My belief is that Kioti used big words to describe an hour meter that simply tick, tick, ticks, if the key is on. It's the cheapest form of an hour meter. No flame intended. :)

I never thought about it much until I ended with two tractors that have the opposite types of hour meters. One ticks of an hour for every hour the key is on. The other only accurately ticks off an hour if the engine is operating at PTO speed. :)

/ Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours? #34  
I've heard that hours on your tractor are not deducted from your life span,

:)

Bruce

I'm going with this. But is that only if the PTO is engaged..?:stirthepot::stirthepot:

/ Time, what is time? or how does your tractor count hours? #35  
Lets see -

Rhino 554 driven off the back of the engines camshaft -
registers one hour if operated at 2000 rpm which is basically wide open, have compared it to a watch while moving brush with the grapple, and registered 1/2 hour to the watches hour

Ford 3000 driven off of the back of the generator, any belt slippage and it is going to read lower than it should although it has never worked right even with a new genny and cable-something with the voltage generator in the tach/hour meter...

New holland L778 looks to be a key on, hours counting hobbs meter

JD 550G long track dozer looks like a key on, hours counting hobbs meter but haven't looked any deeper