I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601.......

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #1  

Stanley B

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 BX25D
I like the idea of having a backhoe, but to do so, I'd have to settle for a slightly smaller tractor in the BX25D......adding a new BH to a B2601 would take another ~$7K....yikes......here are the two quotes I have received for what I'm looking at......

1. The Kubota BX25D with loader, backhoe, grapple, box blade, and 16' trailer is $22,950, less the $300 tractor rebate and $1,000 implement rebate, the total comes to $21,650.

2. The Kubota B2601 with loader, grapple, box blade, and 16' trailer is $23,300. This tractor has a $400 rebate and the same $1,000 implement rebate which would bring the total to $21,900.

Kubota is offering 0% financing on all tractors for 60 months. To apply for financing we would need to fill out a credit application to submit to Kubota Credit. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me."

I am planning on using whatever tractor I buy to do some work on the side...things like small jobs involving hauling small loads of mulch, gravel, soil, etc, etc and spreading it around.....maybe some light grading of gravel driveways..I'm not depending on it for a fulltime living, but if things were to go well, it might convince me to jump in a little deeper.....just wonder if it's be worth going with a smaller tractor size wise to be able to have the BH...and the BX25 would fit through small gates....I've got to check the specs on the B2601......

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #2  
I am planning on using whatever tractor I buy to work on the side...things like hauling small loads of mulch, gravel, soil, etc, etc and spreading it around.....maybe some light grading of gravel driveways.

I like the idea of having a backhoe, but to do so, I'd have to settle for a slightly smaller tractor in the BX25D......adding a new BH to a B2601 would take another ~$7K.

Nothing on your list of tasks requires a Backhoe.

How much tractor experience do you have? Are you aware of the wide array of Three Point Hitch implements available?

You cannot consider any paid tractor work without liability insurance. Few business people will hire you without insurance proof. Without insurance you can lose you home, your savings and your retirement in a court case. So, shop liability insurance before settling on a tractor.

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601.......
Nothing on your list of tasks requires a Backhoe.

How much tractor experience do you have? Are you aware of the wide array of Three Point Hitch implements available?

You cannot consider any paid tractor work without liability insurance. Few business people will hire you without insurance proof. Without insurance you can lose you home, your savings and your retirement in a court case. So, shop liability insurance before settling on a tractor.

I have been in the landscaping industry for over 30 years and 20 at my present job where we have lots of tractors....I've run everything from zero turn mowers to pay loaders....LOTS of tractor experience......I guess if I got a backhoe, it might push me into some jobs like I have to do at my FT job.....I get plenty of tree planting as it is.....this is more a step towards a Plan B in case I decide to go at this full time and just get on my wife's insurance.......yes, I plan on checking out liability insurance...from what some small business owners have told me, it's around $500-$750/year....very reasonable I think......I'm just not sure I'd need a business license($50-$75/yr) to be able to get the liability insurance........

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #4  
IF you find jobs that require a backhoe is the B25 BH big and strong enough? Or would it be better to rent a mini-ex for those few jobs?

How much "narrow gate" work do you forsee?

How high do you want to get? The BX's are much closer to the ground, 8.7 inches versus a foot.

How much do you want to lift? The 25D is rated for 680 lbs on the 3pt at 24", the 2601 is rated for 1,411 lbs, more than twice as much.

Both are good but often bigger is better.

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #5  
Don't know which is the better option. Going small would get you into jobs that others might not want or would do by hand. I would be concerned there might be a lot of low-dollar jobs or "do it cheap" customers unwilling to pay a fair amount. Moreover, the small machine would limit how big a job you could be competitive on. To the positive, it would keep your investment down.

Going for the larger machine has its own mysteries. Would that maybe steer you into more direct competition with other landscaping outfits while also requiring you get more jobs and/or charge more to recover your investment?

This is going to be a judgement call based on how you read the market. I honestly don't know which one, if either alternative, would have the best potential for you in your area.

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #6  
Welcome to the forum...(hope you're doing better than the 'Dogs' did this past weekend against the tide...!

One thing to consider (IMO) is...A lot of tractor jobs can be done much faster with bigger, heavier equipment...Smaller, lighter tractors are great and can get the job done...but can often take much longer (more passes etc., etc...) than larger, heavier machines and attachments...
...So, as far as commercial applications go...a competitor may be able to do the same job in fewer hours than a contractor with smaller equipment can do it...

Good Luck...

/ I have a Conundrum.....on whether to buy a BX25D-1 or a B2601....... #7  
I like the idea of having a backhoe, but to do so, I'd have to settle for a slightly smaller tractor in the BX25D......adding a new BH to a B2601 would take another ~$7K....yikes......here are the two quotes I have received for what I'm looking at......

1. The Kubota BX25D with loader, backhoe, grapple, box blade, and 16' trailer is $22,950, less the $300 tractor rebate and $1,000 implement rebate, the total comes to $21,650.

2. The Kubota B2601 with loader, grapple, box blade, and 16' trailer is $23,300. This tractor has a $400 rebate and the same $1,000 implement rebate which would bring the total to $21,900.

Stanley, I didn't see some items on tour list. A quick attach, a 3rd function valve or added remote valves, some type of mower and/or rough cutter, and forks for fel.

Ive known many who have started a nice and considerable income late in life by starting

A. a lawn care/property care business

B. a landscaping (equipment based) business.

item A. Works with a smaller total number of clients but works with them often

item B. May do things a few times a year with each customer and works wirh many more customers.

Your quotes are quite similar in size for each machine but focus work for different purposes. The BX lends it self nicely for larger lawn work and larger residential urban/suburban needs while the B lends itself more for country and hobby farm/lot work.

You talk about jobs you coukd do . . but you don't mention what your intended market is. Just knowing asimple thing like your choice of tires will tell alot.