Is 2wd ok to bale with?

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #21  
The only drawback that I see to a 2wd tractor when it comes to haying is not in the baling/rolling, but in the feeding. In the summer, I never need 4wd on my tractor to roll hay - after all, it's gotta be reasonably dry to make hay anyway. However, when I feed hay in the winter, I usually have to deal with mud. We're in the middle of the country, so we don't get too much freezing weather, so I can't just them out when the ground is frozen. A bigger 2wd tractor can probably still manage to set out rolls even in mud, it just probably makes it more of a pain.

If this is just an additional tractor for haying, and another tractor is available for setting out rolls, then 2wd should be fine, and cheaper. And if most of the bales are small square (which I think is what the OP said he was going to do), then it's kind of a moot point.

Good luck and take care.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #22  
The only drawback that I see to a 2wd tractor when it comes to haying is not in the baling/rolling, but in the feeding. In the summer, I never need 4wd on my tractor to roll hay - after all, it's gotta be reasonably dry to make hay anyway. However, when I feed hay in the winter, I usually have to deal with mud. We're in the middle of the country, so we don't get too much freezing weather, so I can't just them out when the ground is frozen. A bigger 2wd tractor can probably still manage to set out rolls even in mud, it just probably makes it more of a pain.

If this is just an additional tractor for haying, and another tractor is available for setting out rolls, then 2wd should be fine, and cheaper. And if most of the bales are small square (which I think is what the OP said he was going to do), then it's kind of a moot point.

Good luck and take care.
*thumbs up* well said.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #23  
If you have a 4wd tractor, you have a 2wd tractor at the flip of a lever.
No, no you dont. You have a tractor that is set up completely different. You also still have r1 tires on the front. I have tried this a couple times with similar sized tractors. I have used a case ih 884 and 885 as well as my 5083e and a 4020. These were in the same fields with the exact same equipment behind me. A four wheel drive tractor in 2wd is not a 2wd tractor. (Yes I read that again and it sounds goofy but it's true) . A tractor that is 2wd is a different machine. I still say a true 2wd machine is more maneuverable than a 4wd in 2wd. Yes you can split the brakes and get close but I have never been able to do that in a hay field and not tear up the grass to thr point of leaving bald spots.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #24  
PROFarms, What else are you going to use it for? A newish T4 or 5085 is quite a jump in size from your 444. Do you really need anything that big? One post refers to using 40hp and another an MF165 for all baling and other hay work. If you are only going to use it for haymaking (even some contracting) it seems a lot of money to fork out for something that will only be used a few weeks a year, and depreciating at a big rate of 」」」s. You have to make a profit.

Edit: seems the site did not care for my three GB pound signs.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with?
PROFarms, What else are you going to use it for? A newish T4 or 5085 is quite a jump in size from your 444. Do you really need anything that big? One post refers to using 40hp and another an MF165 for all baling and other hay work. If you are only going to use it for haymaking (even some contracting) it seems a lot of money to fork out for something that will only be used a few weeks a year, and depreciating at a big rate of 」」」s. You have to make a profit. Edit: seems the site did not care for my three GB pound signs.
Would not be used solely for haying. We also do around 60acres of corn or soybeans which at the moment we have to get a contractor in to do it for us which costs a small fortune as the closest guy is a long way away so has large travel charge!!

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #29  
   / Is 2wd ok to bale with? #30  
Worthless??? I wouldn't say that. But a 4wd is definitely better. I used a 2wd with a loader for 25 years. I did have 1300 lbs of bh on the rear, though. It worked but not as well as my 4wd.