Is 2wd ok to bale with?

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
Hi, Im still looking at buying a 'new' tractor. Had been looking at brand new but for what I'm after its stupid money, especially as I'm here in the UK.
Had originally been looking at a New Holland T4, or a Deere - something like a 5085. Tractors i been looking at previously have been 4wd. My two main requirements for getting my new tractor would be must have a loader and dealerships must be within a 30 mile radius. HAving said all that i have now been looking on eBay and thinking i may get a relatively new, used tractor. A lot of these tractors i have seen have had everything i am looking for, except they have been 2wd. I have never driven a modern 2wd tractor - only ever had a 2wd IH form the '70s.
Would mainly be using the tractor for haying for myself and doing a bit of contract haying during the summer. Ground has a few hills but nothing major. Would a 2wd tractor be ok or would it not be able to cope? If i don't have to i don't really want to spend the extra to get 4wd.
Cheers

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #2  
Most hay tractors in my area are 2wd. I rarely see anything else in a hay field.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #3  
Its actually better to have a 2wd imo for hay.. your hardly going to be around wet fields while doing hay and you get a much better turn radius and handling

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with?
So having not ever run a 2wd with loader, does it affect the steering having 2wd instead of 4wd?

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #5  
Assuming you're on dry ground where traction is not a problem, 2wd would typically provide easier handling and tighter turning, like Navasot said.
If you spear a large bail with the loader and don't have much weight on the rear wheels, traction could be an issue. But if that is an issue, you'd need some ballast weight on the rear either way.

If you're mainly haying in dry fields, 2wd is probably the way to go. Tractor costs way less and is easier to maintain.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #6  
The loader takes the weight off of the rear wheels and you loose traction. Ed

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #7  
You wont notice the difference on a tractor that size. We have 40hp tractors in 2wd that move 5x6 round bales easily. When your talking about a 85hp or so tractor you still have all the weight youll need for a loader especially with hay... Now if your talking about wanting to move 3,000lb pallets or use a grapple moving big logs or what not it will still do it but traction becomes less with your rear end getting light and 4wd would take you were you need to go... and the axle will take more wear than what a 4wd would.. but this is only in serious loader use.. if your talking about 1,500-2000lbs loads a tractor that size even in 2wd will do it all the same

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with?
so after you saying this if you had the option to purchase a <1000hr 2wd or a ~2500hr 4wd tractor, almost same spec, both in good condition with loaders, 4wd is a couple hp large but nothing significant. which would you purchase. Both machines are the same money within a couple hundred £££

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #9  
The 2wd. No doubt.

/ Is 2wd ok to bale with? #10  
Go with the 2wd 1500 hours is a lot of time your saving and money.. that's a good 2-3years of tractor use if your making a living with it. Are they both 4cyl?