compact/subcompact, what HP??

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #1  

Kevin_Essman

Tractor
Looking
I own 3.6 acres, what are the recommendations on size for this lot. No trees, all open land and 1 house.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #2  
Welcome aboard. What sort of chores do you need it to perform?

/ compact/subcompact, what HP??
landscaping, brush trimming and eventually mowing. Also driveway maint.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #4  
Kevin, HP needs are really dependant upon what jobs you want to perform. If you simply want to mow the 3.6 acres, then really your best choice might be something like an Exmark or a Dixie Chopper ZTR mower.

If you want to mow, and do some landscaping chores like dig post holes (or tree holes with a post hole digger), moves mulch or dirt around, etc then you need some form of a tractor and implements. I would think that under those conditions, if you are not really considering construction large berms, hauling boulders the size of a small car, etc, then any of the current sub-compact tractors should be fine. They typically have a hp rating in the low 20's. Excellent choices would be the Massey Ferguson GC2300 or the Kubota BX tractors. You can also look at the Case/IH DX sub-compact which is a twin of the New Holland TZ series tractors and they will be at dealers soon. All are powered by diesel engines, all are available with Front End Loaders (FEL) and optional Back Hoes (BH) should you want them. All make very good mowing tractors. None makes a great construction tractor because they have low ground clearance.

Other choices really should include the Power Trac equipment, and their 22 and 25 HP units would seem like excellent choices if you intend on constructing. Their 18 hp unit would probably be large enough if you just want a mowing tractor (but that would not be my choice because I would prefer a larger mower deck).

If you'd rather go up to a compact tractor. I can personally HIGHLY recommend the New Holland TC24D. It has become my favorite tractor and the one I use most often on my 12 acres. It is small enough to use as a mower, but has plenty of power to do real work.

If you are most concerned about price and mowing, then I would recommend a quality brand name garden tractor. Cub Cadet is a stoutly built tractor at a good price with a real drive shaft instead of belt drive. A quality garden tractor will last for a decade or two.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #5  
Unfortunately, if you ask 100 people "what tractor to get?" You will get 100 difeerent answers. Are there that many tractor types? Close. Take your time and shop aroound. Shopping is almost as much fun as owning. Find out what dealers are near you and visit them. Ultimately, you will buy a tractor and you will need parts and service. You want to buy from someone who will cater to you after the sale. John Deere, Kubota and New Holland are the most popular, but there are many others that are equally as good. Test drive some and see what floats your boat. Good LUCK!!!

/ compact/subcompact, what HP??
thanks for the input, I am renting a Kubota B2710 for the weekend. Probably abit larger than what I need but thought I would start some where. What are your thoughts on the Yanmars/Mitsu's and other cheaper Jap. models. Also, FarmPro, they look cheaper but will they stand the test of time. I am leaning towards Kubota because they have local service and parts.

Thanks for all input
Kevin

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am renting a Kubota B2710 for the weekend )</font>

Good choice. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Maybe bigger than you need, and of course, I used my B2710 for lots of other things, but also mowed about 3 acres with a rear mounted finish mower.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #8  
Kevin we all have different budgets and different desires. I tried to give you a fairly wide range of things that you should consider. I have a Kubota B2910 and it is a fine machine, the one you are renting is very similar. I think it is a bit large for what you ultimately will want, but worth a try.

As for the Yanmars/Mitsu/Iseki/Hinomoto/etc grey market tractors they are probably all fine machines but you might not want one for your first tractor IF you are not mechincally inclined AND if you don't mind searching for parts. Some of them have goods parts supplies, others do not. And some brands have good parts supplies for some models but not for other models. However, the machines are capable and inexpensive. It becomes a personal choice. I restore antique tractors when I get the time and I have to source parts from all around the country, the difference is that I don't mind if the tractor is in parts and not working while I source the part becuase that is not my primary tractor. If you have a grey market tractor as your primary tractor and you can't find a critical part, you may face some down time. Then again, you may not mind and you may actually enjoy the search. So it becomes a personal choice.

As for the Chinese tractors, Jinma is sold under several brands including Jinma, FarmPro and Nortrac. All are the same except the decals. You can get them in a crate unbuilt or you can get them built. The guy who builds it has a lot to do with the fit and finish, and if there is a warrenty and anyone to stand behind it. They are bargains, probably don't have much resale value, but nobody really knows that yet. They are basic machines but they work.

Now for my personal editorial. I would only buy a tractor that had a warrenty, that had modern safety features such as ROPS & seat belt, and that had a hydrostatic (HST) transmission. Most will admit that a gear tractor can do everything a HST will do, and most will also admit that a HST transmission will do it faster, safer and easier with a much shorter learning curve. This is especially true for a tractor used for mowing the lawn and for using a Front End Loader.

Safety is a huge issue, and even those of us who play with tractors forget about it. It can be a fatal mistake. These are big fun useful tools, but just like a gun, they can be used for good or they can kill you. Keep safety at the top of your mind.

When you talk to dealers, ask them about safety features. Also ask for tips and tricks and generally make sure you feel like they care about you as a customer. Buy from the dealer who makes you most comfortable, who will support you when you need it, and who lastly also gives you a fair price. Brand should be the last consideration.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #9  
That's a good point, Bob. some of the Chines tractors, though good machines, have parts only warranties.

/ compact/subcompact, what HP?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am leaning towards Kubota because they have local service and parts.

Thanks for all input
Kevin )</font>

I guess to me that pretty much sums it up. Local service. All tractors for the most part are good. But not one is good if you don't get service with it. Just plain and simple.

murph