Comparison kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Over the last several months I've posted about why I invested in May 2015 into a Massey GC1715 as my first diesel tractor.

I often write that I spent almost 9 years planning on getting a Kubota BX or a Cub/Yanmar SC2400.

Recently I was sent a PM from someone who wrote "you write about your new Massey GC as if its the perfect scut tractor. Cmon now, what do you wish was different?"

Well Ive never hidden the fact that the SC2400 was a great design product. I wish my Massey had position control on the 3pt like the sc2400 did. I also wish it had shift on the fly like the sc2400. And the sc2400 had even a little better seat positioning for joy stick.

And the Kubota BX2370-1 and BX2670-1 has tons of accessory choices because it was the 1st major scut to market. In addition . . somehow Kubota gets more clearance when the mmm deck is on by about 2 inches.

Both the BX and SC2400 are excellent products . . said it in 2006 and its true today. In fact, one of the reasons I like my Massey is because it has several of the features that only the sc2400 and BX units offer.

All three have:
1. Front flow cooling on the engine . . Cleaner and better cooling

2. Major name scut engine builders with integrated design to the rest of unit.

3. Differential lock.

4. Scut sizing . . not small compact sizing like many others.

5. Engine sizing for work and engine design for durability.

So why after 9 years did I abruptly choose differently? Easy. I wanted separate front and reverse petals for greater leg comfort. I wanted left side braking. I wanted dual pumps and attachment options and better mmm deck choices. And of all three ... the Massey had the best feel for slope mowing and seat comfort was very positive.

I could easily have bought any of the 3 . . I thought Massey GC1715 was the best combination of benefits and price and the expansion of Massey dealers since 2013 was very promising.

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned #2  
Glad you found what you were looking for. I hope you have many years of fun service.

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned #3  
I really liked the SC2400 also. I thought it was very nicely done and well designed.

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned
By far the biggest issue for me on the sc2400 was not the machine . . But a striking lack of options on mmm decks . . They had one choice. It was ahead of its time in several tractor features and could have competed much better with kubota with better marketing effort and better deck options. I was surprised that the new yanmars downgraded several of those superior features for the 221 model. Still nice . . . but certainly not the sc2400 level.

Glad you found what you were looking for. I hope you have many years of fun service.

Its funny . . Based on users needs I've recommended bx product for some and massey for others. I've also found numetous dealers that carry both brands now.

One choice I'd be interested in testing is the b2601 to see how that product compares in price and feel.

I was oing a little inspection and lite servuce work on my massey gc1715. I was reminded hiw clever little items are . . Like the air filter that has a rubber dust collector that you push and it dpreads open and clears the dust without requiring any disassembly.

Clever little time saver.

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned #7  
Most small tractors (and a lot of lawn mowers with commercial engines) have those dust evacuators on them. Both of my BX's do, and so does the Vanguard engine on my Grasshopper mower.

Found a couple more things I wish my massey gc1715 had:

A. A "brake on" light so if you're on an incline and get back on . . I don't forget to disengage thw brake.

B. Better headlights . . But I already planned for that need anyway.

By the way . . . Does anyone with a bx2370 or bx25 or bx2670 know how much weight they can haul with their forks on fel? I just was doing something at my max load and wanted to see how it compared.

/ kubota BX vs my Massey GC1715 . . . what have I learned #9  
What dealer did you buy from? I just bought a home in Hudson township (3.3 acres), and I noticed your location is "Western Wisconsin".
Also curious why you're not going with the front mount snowblower...?

What dealer did you buy from? I just bought a home in Hudson township (3.3 acres), and I noticed your location is "Western Wisconsin".
Also curious why you're not going with the front mount snowblower...?

Greetings MNLAredo,

This week I'll be up in the Hudson area. Wonderful location.

I checked with over a dozen dealers before making a decision. I chose a dealwr 120 miles away from me . . but great price, great support, and they've beenin the tractor business since 1910 or 1912. They are big . . Real big.

I took my wife along to evaluate their skills and operation . . and ut took 10 minutes for me to stop gazing in wonderment.

They sell in tractor lines the Kubota products and the Massey products. ALL scut and cut models are on display INDOORS . They are open 7 days a week and open days and evenings.

Sauk City WI. Mc Farlanes. Ask for Chuck and tell him Axle says "Hello".

But don't go if you only have a half hour to look . . this is a place to see and you can get your wife or girlfriend involved if you choose . . Warm, dry, and dirt free.

New topic: why I'm not using a front mount snowblower on my Massey gc1715. Several reasons:

1. I want to have my fel on all winter . . . Using it with my brand new Snow Edge clamped on the bucket . . . Or just as a bucket. Allows me to deal with slush and snow as a push or backdrag situation and to deal with drifting and piles.

2. For the cost of a snowblower for the massey . . I purchased a brand new front mount snowblower for my new (slightly used) purchased 25 hp zero turn lawn tractor (not a ztr but a ztt). And had enough money left to buy a quick attach for my Massey fel besides.