Just starting on the tractor learning curve...

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #1  

ClaySlayer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hi all,

In the process of purchasing a ~12 acre tract with a ~1 acre pond so trying to get smart on tractors...because my little 15hp, 38in LX178 isn't going to cut it! LOL! The property is mostly wide open with any trees contained to the boundaries. Probably looking at a compact in the 30-40hp range.

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #2  
Hi. Welcome. Congrats on the property.

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #3  
Tell us what tasks you expect your tractor to perform.

Have you prior tractor operating experience?

Do you have the skills to do your own tractor maintenance and repairs?

How are you going to utilize your ten open acres? Pasture? Crops? Orchard?

Any rockets on your land?

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #4  
Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of knowledge from all the members. The search function is a great tool and provides hours of reading.

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #5  
Hi all,

In the process of purchasing a ~12 acre tract with a ~1 acre pond so trying to get smart on tractors...because my little 15hp, 38in LX178 isn't going to cut it! LOL! The property is mostly wide open with any trees contained to the boundaries. Probably looking at a compact in the 30-40hp range.

Tractor: 30-40 hp (engine), hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, ag tires with rears filled with liquid, dual rear hydraulic remotes, front end loader (FEL) with 5-ft wide bucket, skid steer quick attach on the bucket, chain hooks on the bucket.

Mower: 5-ft brush hog.

Good luck

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve...
Mainly grass cutting and maintaining the area around the pond as well as a small (100' x 100' max) garden. We haven't decided exactly on where to put our house so maintaining a gravel driveway could be in the cards. My son and I also enjoy RC trucks so I'll probably try to build a small track off in a corner. Nothing really hard core...and no critters planned other than dogs. The property is fairly flat except for a small rolling hill (MAYBE 2% slope) at the back. It was used as a cow pasture for several decades until about 5-10 years ago so the vast majority of the property has a barbed wire fence around it but I don't foresee having any use for it so will probably remove most of it.

I don't really have any experience driving a tractor. I do maintenance and most repairs on our trucks and small engines so while I don't have any experience working on a real tractor I plan to learn and perform everything that I can.

It's a rainy day here so plan to spend some time searching and reading on the site. Thanks!

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #7  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

/ Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #9  
Probably looking at a compact in the 30-40hp range.

Seems about right.

FLUSHER has given good advice:

Tractor: 30-40 hp (engine), hydrostatic (HST) tranny, 4WD, power steering,

ag tires with rears filled with liquid,

dual rear hydraulic remotes,

front end loader (FEL) with 5-ft wide bucket, skid steer quick attach on the bucket, chain grab hooks on the bucket.

Mower: 5-ft brush hog.

I would differ only in recommending UNLOADED R4 Industrial Tires, rather than LOADED R1 Ag Tires, as you will want an FEL and the potential for turf mowing around a home is there. I do not remember clay as being the dominant soil type around Huntsville and, as a non-farmer you can delay tractoring a day or two if the soil is too wet. (Tires are always a close call.)

You will probably want a PTO powered roto-tiller and a 3-Pt. mounted cultivator for your garden.

Huntsville is a pretty affluent area. I expect you have a wide choice of tractor dealers not far from your property. With transfers in and out of Redstone Arsenal I expect used low hour tractors become available regularly.

One caution: Stay away from the pond. Ponds suck in tractors.

Here is an IMPLEMENT LINK: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl...45263BDD8/11557/pub2917tractorimplements1.pdf

Alabama and Mississippi are home to most USA implement manufacturers.

Last edited:
   / Just starting on the tractor learning curve... #10  
If your gravel driveway will be long enough to justify a dedicated maintenance implement your choices would be:

LPGS - Land Plane/Grading Scraper

Box Blade or Rollover Box Blade

Rear/Angle Blade

Heavy Landscape Rake

If you eventually decide to convert the pasture to something else, you will likely find it extremely compacted from hooves. You will probably have to plow it.