Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #71  
Interesting thread. I like reading the recommendations and seeing how you evolved in your decision process.

I wasn't clear on whether you are going to have extended family on this farm? I hope you have someone other than yourself to do all this work and still run a bio-tech business. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc
Yes, one of the main factors that placed limits (well reasonable limits) of the tractors on my list is the location of the nearest dealership. The second was talks with neighbors around town and their experiences with each manufacturer and the local (nearest) dealers.

I have been looking more towards the implements that the tractor will be using, the specs that each implement requires as far as gph, speed, etc as my main concentration (outside of the cab, which I have decided is not an option, that for my case is a need but a need I acknowledge will come with a rather hefty cost).

Grapple implement. I do not know how that managed to slip through the cracks within my postings, it was always on my mind as a have to get attachment. Not a single neighbor in town I talked with failed to list that as a must have.

I have not completely excluded the Kubota tractors, it was 4th on my list and for posting purposes I limited it to just the top three. Not many, actually only 3 of the neighbors around town own or ever owned any Kubota tractors and two of them did not have good things to say about the quality. I do realize after researching via the internet that they seem to be in the minority, so i'm just left to believe at this point that the lemons that every company makes or slips through quality assurance occasionally must have ended up with them. I will be taking the time to go over to the dealer and do an in-person visit before I reach a final decision.

The Deere's did not make it onto my list due to the negative experiences I was virtually always told about by the neighbors about the local dealer and the next closest dealer would add hours in driving time each way, so I almost excluded that line based on the logistics (but I will still take a couple of hours and go there so I can form my own in person and for myself impression based on such a visit).

We have a large family and a huge extended family. It will be a very slow and methodical integration over a period of years. Some will start sooner than others and some will do more than others. We will not be jumping into full time farming with two feet from atop of a mountainous ocean cliff. We will gradually learn over that lengthy time period but still be lucky enough to have a safety net that we know many other would not have.
Our long term goal is to gain the knowledge of how to, so that if ever needed, we would be able to be self sufficient should such a need ever arise out of necessity. By no means would or is this going to be an operation for commercial or money making venture. I hope that made as much sense in words as it did inside my head.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #73  
Asking neighbors is a good way to evaluate a dealer but I'd not place a lot of weight on neighbors knowledge of different current tractor types. People who buy lots of tractors and have relevant experience are generally commercial farmers and not particularly focused on CUTs. Most landowners with a tractor bought one and did so two, five or fifteen years ago so may not have particularly relevant experience in comparing tractor brands and current models. IMO, the best way to choose a tractor when you need to do so as a newbie is to visit multiple brand showrooms and then ask a lot of questions in the tractor brand specific area here on TBN. You'll get lots of discussion/debate here when you pose a question and that debate will bring out far more relevant and balanced opinions than any dealer or single neighbor can provide.

You state that neighbors had negative experiences with both Kubota and Deere. Even as a faithful Kioti owner I have to tell you that your neighbors are uninformed or biased as both JD and Kubota make superb and uber reliable tractors in the range you are looking at. Stating that JD or Kubota are unreliable is just malarky. Now, if they stated that the dealers were charging too much they might have a point but you cannot seriously knock either JD or Kubota on reliability.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc
With reference to the deere, it was about the local dealer only. They did not say anything negative about the deere brand of tractors or equipment line.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #75  
Even as a faithful Kioti owner I have to tell you that your neighbors are uninformed or biased as both JD and Kubota make superb and uber reliable tractors in the range you are looking at. Stating that JD or Kubota are unreliable is just malarky. Now, if they stated that the dealers were charging too much they might have a point but you cannot seriously knock either JD or Kubota on reliability.
My personal experience would disagree... with the orange anyhow. And there have been many reports on here regarding green electrical issues. Just saying...

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #76  
My personal experience would disagree... with the orange anyhow. And there have been many reports on here regarding green electrical issues. Just saying...
What shade of orange do you not like?

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #77  

Of course there are complaints about Kubota and JD....they are by far the most popular and numerous tractors. Anything mechanical can and will break on occasion. I find zero evidence that JD or Kubota owners are any less happy than Massey, Kioti, Mahindra etc owners, there are just more of them so their bitchin' and moaning is more easily heard.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #78  
Don't go backing him into a corner... Underdogs are always looking for a fight.
Ps please take this as a joke as it was intended.

/ Newbie here, not afraid to ask for advice and opinions on a new tractor, etc #79  
What shade of orange do you not like?
I don't dislike either shade. I owned Kioti before and had a good ownership experience with only a few issues. My close friend has had several new Kubota's and that's where I get my "experience" regarding that shade. I like both brands and a Kioti NX6010 and a Kubota L6060 would both be worth considering when competing with the Massey 1758. I'm just saying that my experience doesn't agree with Island's statement: "your neighbors are uninformed or biased as both JD and kubota make superb and uber reliable tractors in the range you are looking at. Stating that JD or Kubota are unreliable is just malarky".