Buying Advice Is the Front End Loader worth it?

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #1  

cdondanville

Tractor
-na-
I am getting ready to purchase a sub-compact for mowing and tilling on my 5 acre plot and I am torn on the FEL. I have a couple of uses for it right off the bat (move some gravel, haul wood and dirt) but none of them are complete necessities and I have no long term plans for material handling. So, I am torn on the purchase. The dealers all want you to have one as there is not an SC tractor on any lot without the FEL already installed. I know it is one of those things I will never regret having, but is the extra $3k worth the investment? I am interested in your stories of why/why not the FEL is worth having or uses you never thought of when you got one.

For the record the front runners now are the Kubota BX2670 and the JD 1025R.

Chris

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #2  
Welcome to TBN..............................

IMO a loader is a big asset when buying a tractor. I wouldn't buy one without a loader. I'd also say on a resale value later that more people would want a tractor with a loader. If its only 3K more for a loader then go for it. You'll find many uses for a loader. I use mine for gravel, dirt, snow, lifting, hanging deer, and many other uses and if you get a quick attach loader you can swap the bucket out for a set of forks or other QA implements.

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #3  
Get the loader. It is one of the most used attachments on the tractor.
I would be very surprised if a single member here would recommend skipping the loader.

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #4  
The other low cost option for just what you've mentioned is a rear 3pt dirt scoop. Most are reversible to push or pull. They are very handy, although not as much as fel.

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #5  
There is a 'hot' thread on this subject, with 40 replies:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/347979-do-i-need-fel-2.html#post4289315

Many new tractor owners end up buying a heavier, more-powerful tractor within two years.

If you buy the FEL now you will get a good portion of your purchase price back at time of sale.

Tractors sold used, without FELs, tend to go for low prices, because prospective buyers calculate the cost of adding an FEL before making an offer, and FELs are MUCH more expensive ($5,000 - $6,000) purchased stand-alone. ((So you end up paying for an FEL, whether you get one or not.))

My local Kubota dealer has a no-loader Kubota L3240 on his lot in this situation. He would only accept the L3240 as a consignment.

Take a look at the new Kubota L2501 before committing to a BX. With an L2501 you can pull 5' implements, rather than 4' implements and mounting implements is easier because there is more open space around the Three Point Hitch.

Last edited:
   / Is the Front End Loader worth it? #6  
George hit the loader question dead on- get it! Get it with SSQA, and you will find yourself using it, or enjoying the value when you sell the tractor. Trying to add it later is a costly headache. I have seen guys buy tractors without loaders, for mowing "only", and then ante up later to install one. If you are tending to 5 acres, you will use it!

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #7  
I wouldn't be without a loader. IMO a compact or subcompact tractor is nearly worthless without a loader. I do have a B7100 without a loader that I use only for mowing. SSQA is extremely nice. I wouldn't own a tractor without it, but I haven't seen it offered on subcompacts.,

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #8  
Welcome to TBN, Chris. Mine is another voice strongly suggesting you get the loader for your new tractor. Unless you hire all your property maintenance out, you absolutely will find many uses for a FEL, many of which you haven't even imagined yet. It will lift and carry everything from rocks to flower pots, push snow, tear down brush, and even dig and haul dirt.

This morning I made a tour of my property with the tractor and either moved aside or took to the burn pile more than a dozen down trees in a little over an hour's time thanks to the FEL on the tractor. At the time, I didn't give it a second thought, but reading your message reminded me that without the FEL, this kind of task would easily have required several hours of backbreaking work with a chainsaw and hand loading wood onto the trailer. That is pretty typical of the kind of everyday utility chores many people do with their tractor/FEL setup. Sure, you can do many of those chores using other means, but you simply won't find a more handy, versatile and backsaving tool than a front end loader.

Good luck with your shopping.

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #9  
I am getting ready to purchase a sub-compact for mowing and tilling on my 5 acre plot and I am torn on the FEL. I have a couple of uses for it right off the bat (move some gravel, haul wood and dirt) but none of them are complete necessities and I have no long term plans for material handling. So, I am torn on the purchase. The dealers all want you to have one as there is not an SC tractor on any lot without the FEL already installed. I know it is one of those things I will never regret having, but is the extra $3k worth the investment? I am interested in your stories of why/why not the FEL is worth having or uses you never thought of when you got one.

For the record the front runners now are the Kubota BX2670 and the JD 1025R.

Chris
5 acres? What's it like to move a wheelbarrow of gravel from one corner to the other?
But I digress.
As others wrote get a FEL.
However - consider what a Front End Loader really is - it's not the bucket but the mechanism on the front of the tractor for picking things up. Be it a bale spear, grapple, pallet forks or whatever you need those arms and hydraulics to pick things up in front of the tractor.
A lot of times the same stuff can be picked up with the back of the tractor if you've got the 3 point lift but it's a lot easier with the front..

What will you be tilling for? What will you do after you till? Will you have to move hundreds of pounds of fertilizer, mulch, etc.?

Look at the options when you add a FEL, pallet forks, grapple, tree spade etc.

Also look at going "bigger", say a B series for increased ground clearance if you ever plan on getting more land.

/ Is the Front End Loader worth it? #10  
Fel, yes. I wish I had the SSQA and I plan on converting mine but even with a pin on fel, you increase the utility and value and save your back a lot of work.