looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Let me start with Happy Turkey day (unless you are unfortunate enough to be that highly desired bird)! I guess you could say I am looking for the best value in a smaller stihl saw. I already have a #19 in tree w/12" and a #390 w/25" but as my cheap ground saw basically died, am looking to complete the 'fleet' with a new stihl for ground use once the 'big&/or high' stuff is done. I do not mind paying more for a better saw, but I need to know what makes it worth the additional $. Is it easier to service, does it have a better clutch, less likely to leak bar oil, vibrate less, etc. ?? I am not a professional, nor do I cut for firewood, but I maintain several properties, and most have mature oaks. So use would be the occasional trim, but likely just storm damage. I would however expect this to saw to not require much maint. beyond plugs, filters, bar lube, and chains/chain adjustment. So If anyone has any advice (especially if it is this model costs more, but is not really any better) I would love to hear it. thanks, again.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #2  
Re: looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

I have 4 stihl saws, they have been good, however, I have had to repair a couple along the way. Mostly due to the gas sitting, the tube goes bad and sucks air. carb clean out, etc. but no major issues. The small one I had(a 190 I think)finally wore out and lost compression after about 8 years. I did get my money's worth out of that one.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #3  
Re: looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

Well, how much do you want to spend? In my opinion, the professional models from Stihl are worth the extra dough, but it really depends on how much you'll use it. In that size class you're looking at the ms 241 or 261. They both are made to be much easier to rebuild than a homeowner class saw. Basically, you can take the plastic off and unbolt the cylinder from the crankcase in a matter of minutes whereas the lower grade saws are much more difficult to rebuild.

Also for your money you get a computerized carb. Now these aren't without drawbacks, namely that you can't adjust the fuel/air ratio with a screwdriver and that there's a computer on your chainsaw. That said, according to many processional users, the carb can achieve a near perfect tune in every situation resulting in a very well performing saw that achieves it's maximum power potential every day.

The 241 and 261 msrp at around $550 and 600 respectively. If you want a cheaper lightweight saw, Stihl has lots of models to consider, but I'm not particularly familiar with them. I think that something in the ms251 to 271 range is what you'd be looking at. They'll be about half the price, weigh a similar amount, but have less power and don't have computerized carbs.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #4  

Go to your local Stihl dealer and look at the saws, specs, etc. They offer an additional year warranty if you buy and use their Ultra oil for mixing with fuel. I've always bought and used Stihl for my entire life.
They make excellent saws for all levels of user. See what your dealer recommends for your specific use.
I've been doing tree work as a pro first and homestead owner for over 50 years.
Whatever you buy, use ethanol free gas when available, in completely sealed fuel containers, ( NO venting) and highest quality mix oil. Run saws dry if storing over time. Don't use old gas/fuel mix, and always shake the mix before filling saw, and shake saw too, before each use to remix the oil/gas.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #5  

For small pooper Stihl chain saw I can recommend the MS 170 and the MS 250. The 170 is handy as can be, light weight and inexpensive. The 250 cuts like a scared rabbit with a shorter bar. I run the shorter bars on them to get better chain speed. It isn't the size of the bar it is the magic behind it. With a fourteen or sixteen inch bar you can cut lots of wood. Guys think you NEED a longer bar to cut a round log. You don't. You reach over the far side, cut down, pull it back toward you, cut down on the top a bit, pull out and cut in front of you and then clean up the bottom. Both of these smaller saws are good 'uns. I prefer to have them set up with free floating drive sprockets from the dealer which means you need another link or two in the chain.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

I prefer to have them set up with free floating drive sprockets from the dealer which means you need another link or two in the chain.

could you please explain what a free floating sprocket is.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #7  

Mistah Disneee
On lower priced, often non pro saws... Take the the clutch cover off. Remove the chain and look at the drive unit. On bigger saws there is a star assembly that has a ring around it. The ring has indentations for the chain drivers. That is a free floating sprocket. Non pro saws have just a star and the chain rides on the star. Advantages are less wear and tear on the drive unit,and if you are less likely to throw your chain. But if you do throw your chain, it doesn't bugger up your chain drivers to badly.

It is also nice especially on longer bars if you are flexing the bar a bit because the free floating sprocket can take side to side motion better. When purchasing such a thing, the unit is called something like a drum and free floating sprocket assembly and usually adds fifteen or twenty bucks to purchase price. Betcha can google some photos.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #8  

Here you go sir...Sprockets For Pro Saws
BTW Madsen's is THE supplier in the pacific northwest for professionals. check out their catalog online from their website

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #9  
I have a Stihl 260, the predecessor to the 261. I have had the saw 5 years. It has probably cut 20-30 cords of wood. I have never done a thing to it, except sharpen and replace chains. I'll probably service it this winter-new bar, sprocket, and filters. I paid $475 for it and couldn't be happier.

Will

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #10  

I have owned several of the MS 250 series saws and just bought a new 250 on sale for $299 and a free chain (251 is the replacement). I think they are just about right for mild homeowner work and is priced at a point to keep you from having to break open all your piggy banks. Does not have the electronic carb or all the other goodies. I also own a MS441 magnum for the heavy duty cutting I do sometimes.