Tractor Sizing Need help with tractor selection

/ Need help with tractor selection #1  

Jjm1

Tractor
John deere
Hi. As a new member, I was hoping I could get some opinions on tractor size. As background, I currently own a Cat 420D backhoe so don't need a loader or backhoe. I currently cut 5 acres of flat ground and looking to cut down on my mowing time. I've decided on buying an 84 inch mower (812 lbs) and wondering if a Kubota L3901 would be enough tractor. On paper it has enough PTO hp. I could step up to a Kubota L4701 but, worried the heavier weight may rut the yard too much. I plan on going with turf tires. I may also occasionally use the tractor with a brush hog or rototiller for food plots. Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Need help with tractor selection #2  
I think you will be alright. I pull a mower that is 100 pounds lighter and 1 foot narrower with B7100. The B7100 is way too small, but it gets the grass mowed.

Last edited:
   / Need help with tractor selection #3  
The 3901 should handle an 84" rear finish mower just fine.
I run an 84" rear discharge rear finish mower on my 34 HP (28.3 PTO HP) tractor with no problem.

/ Need help with tractor selection
Thank you

/ Need help with tractor selection #5  
The 3901 should handle an 84" rear finish mower just fine.
I run an 84" rear discharge rear finish mower on my 34 HP (28.3 PTO HP) tractor with no problem.

I suggest Turf tires and just a little front weight. (Foam the front tires?) I agree you should be good with the L3901 as an oversize lawn mower.

/ Need help with tractor selection #6  
I was running a 90" RFM behind my Massey, and finally sold it because it wasn't really any faster than my ZTR. If you're really only cutting grass/light weeds on level ground, a commercial ZTR will cost a lot less, and be just as fast, if not faster.

/ Need help with tractor selection #7  
I was running a 90" RFM behind my Massey, and finally sold it because it wasn't really any faster than my ZTR. If you're really only cutting grass/light weeds on level ground, a commercial ZTR will cost a lot less, and be just as fast, if not faster.

Agree... I can cut 5 acres at my place in a little over 2 hours with my 66" Hustler Super Z diesel. My buddy used to cut his property with an 84" finish mower, but sold that and bought a Scag Cheetah 61" and cuts his property faster.

I'd opt for a zero turn all the way

/ Need help with tractor selection #8  
Selection of tractor depends upon following factors:
1. Land holding
2. Type of crops
3. Soil condition
4. Type of Weather
5. Repairing facilities
6. Running cost
7. Initial cost
8. Resale cost
All these factors should be kept in mind before you buy a tractor, because buying a tractor is large investment. So it is best to go through a proper survey before you select any tractor for yourself.

:):thumbsup:

/ Need help with tractor selection #9  
Agree... I can cut 5 acres at my place in a little over 2 hours with my 66" Hustler Super Z diesel. My buddy used to cut his property with an 84" finish mower, but sold that and bought a Scag Cheetah 61" and cuts his property faster.

I'd opt for a zero turn all the way
I mow around 7 acres of lawn.
My 35 HP tractor with 84" rear finish mower takes a little over 3 hours to mow.
I can mow it with our Hustler Super Z 72" zero turn mower in 2 hours.

/ Need help with tractor selection #10  
Hard to beat a ztr for mowing. But it won't do the filling and bushhogging you want.

For mowing being a primary task but option to till and hog as a must, I'd be looking for the largest you can get with a mmm. Not up on current models, but something like a b3300 with mmm