Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
With 2.5 acres, it seems a SCUT such as a Kubota BX-25D will handle all my mowing, digging, and other needs.

After narrowing my choice to a Kubota BX-25D or a Massey SCUT, I realized I had missed the most important factor of all: my comfort during usage. Someone pointed out that any SCUT is going to be a bouncy/bumpy ride while mowing. Then I realized that while I have many tractor projects to do, the greatest amount of tractor hours will be mowing.

So, I presume the bigger frame on a B2601 would provide more comfort. But without having had any tractor experience, I am wondering how to gauge the relative comfort of the two? I have a somewhat sensitive back, and once this arose during the SCUT shopping some folks advised me to consider a larger frame tractor even if the property doesn't actually need it.

What has your experience been regarding the bounce and bump level of a SCUT vs a CUT? I'm mostly just interested in comfort during mowing-- all my other project will be many less hours.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #2  
I can compare the BX-2370 to the BX-25D to an L 3800. My brother has the BX-25D without loaded rear tires. The backhoe gives him plenty of ballast. His mowing is smoother than my BX-2370 which I have loaded the rear tires of for more ballast and stability on some steep hills that I have. So no loaded tires is already a step in the right direction for comfort.

I had an L3800 also with loaded rears. It was a fair amount smoother on bumpy terrain than my BX is. I would assume the B would be more comfortable than the BX especially without loaded tires.

My 2.5 acres that I mow are mostly smooth and I don't have too many issues, but a few places are bumpy and that is where I notice it exaggerated on the smaller tractor. I don't have a bad back, so I can't complain at this time.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #3  
I meant to add, my other property is larger and I used to bush hog with the L. I use the belly mower for the same property on BX. It is mostly pasture type condition and the faster I go, the more I get bounced around on the smaller tractor. If this was all smooth lawn, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the smaller Massey you're looking at, but the B would probably also make you happy. I have test driven a B, but it was on the dealer's lot, so really don't have that direct comparison for you.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #4  
I had a BX1850 which I traded for the Branson 2400H which is a close equivalent to a Kubota B23** or B26** series. On my Branson I have the rear tires filled with Rim Guard. Since you sit higher on the Branson and the wheel base width is very similar to the BX I believe you get more side to side whip movement than I did on the BX. Front to rear movement is less due to the longer wheel base though. The "B" may have a better suspension system on the seat than the BX though.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #5  
My B7100 rides pretty smooth, but it has larger wheels than a BX. The B7100 rides smoother than the L3240, but it wasn't a fair comparison. The L has a loader and loaded tires, and the B doesn't.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #6  
You might want to read some old threads by bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS as they have owned both B and BX.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #7  
I can't speak to the Kubotas or Masseys in particular but I will say the choice you make for what you get ought to take into consideration what will be the range of uses you may put either a SCUT or a CUT to during it's useful life and ownership.
You can mitigate some ride issues in any machine by upgrading the seat, controlling ground speed and loading or not rear tires, etc.
The seat quality is most important for someone with a bad back, IMHO.
You could add a suspension seat, and the price can vary widely depending on what you choose, and can afford, and what would fit the particular machine.
If you get a bigger tractor you will likely find more things to use it for over time than you originally thought it's primary uses would be prior to purchase. Often folks buy something smaller than what they eventually find would suit them best. I'd look closely at what seat upgrades you could install on models you are serious about. Lots os pro landscapers and others who ride mowers all day long upgrade their zero turn mower seats, sometimes at substantial cost, but seem happy overall doing so because of the extra back support provided.
Terrain and how you control your ground speed, how often you mow etc. are all things you can control to a large extent. With a good seat you may be able to tolerate a bit more speed and bumpiness than with stock seats. Check out 4 shorts threads on seats. He's the Kubota guru regarding most things modded on Kubotas.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601
Great information. Thank you all. Still researching, and all the information is very helpful with steering me into a better purchase decision.

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #9  
My BX 1500 with AGs rides much smoother than my B9200 with big turfs. Both have un loaded tires and simple spring seats. I dont understand it! ... Maybe its a chassis/tire resonance. :confused2:

/ Relative ride/comfort of BX-25D versus Kubota B2601 #10  
Great information. Thank you all. Still researching, and all the information is very helpful with steering me into a better purchase decision.

Just so you don't get confused plowhog,

Virtually all lawn mower and tractors use some form of coil seat suspension. The coils are in different sizes and support levels and are stiff. Then there is whats called spring suspension which is an additive to coil suspension. Spring suspension is far less stiff than coils and is designed to reduce the roughness that just coil suspension offers.

Think of it like a car or pickup. You have the very stiff susension on the rear axle which gives one form of suspension . . but then you also have shocks which soften the leaf spring harshness.

The massey gc1715/1720 seat offers both coil and spring suspension. Rough washboard ground on my zero turn is very very harsh and noticeable and on the GC1715 it is very smooth and pleasant.