Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!!

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Thanks to all for excellent input to this totally "green" shopper for a first-ever tractor. I bought one and spent a couple of hours using it at the property yesterday!

I researched John Deere 1025R, Kubota BX-25D, Kioti, Mahindra Max 25, and Massey Ferguson GC1710/1720. I drove all of them except the Mahindra. And I also briefly explored a Kubota B-series- 2301 or 2601. I also evaluated dealers, but to be fair, I focused more on the machine than the dealer(s.)

I bought a Massey Ferguson GC1710, TLB with loader and backhoe. The dealer who delivered it said my property is situated such that I should consider a mid-mount mower instead of the rotary cutter-- he felt it was level and smooth enough that this might be a better route. (2.5 acres, about 2 acres of pasture.) Thank you to everyone for assistance with making a decision. I was creeping into "over-analysis" when I read from JOHNTHOMAS. More than what he said, based only on his numerous tractor purchases, trades, swaps, etc. I realized that this is my *first* tractor, possibly not the holy grail of tractors for this particular property. I intend to start using it immediately to start pulling out 50-year old juniper bushes and stumps, do some driveway leveling with a box scraper, and use the backhoe to improve some water irrigation ditches and do some trenching for new outbuilding(s.)

I fully realize I decided contrary to more traditional choices-- which would have been the John Deere or Kubota. And after a year of experience, I may consider moving into a B-series Kubota or a the Deere equivalent. Right now I doubt that but time will tell. My backhoe needs should be concluded by next year, so a B-series tractor would be less expensive next year (no backhoe) than this year (I need a backhoe.)

Thank you all again-- it's time to go play, er, I mean do some work!

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #2  
Congratulations on your new tractor, I'm sure it will serve you well.

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #3  
Great. Enjoy the new tractor.

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #4  
Nice! Congrats welcome to MF GC 1700 family. I'm sure you will love it. Check out the MF subforum lots of info there. I got my GC 1720 a few weeks ago and it's been perfect around my 5 acre property.

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #5  
It's just an internet rumor without PICS!!

Congratulations.

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #7  
Congrats on your purchase. Before I moved from the farm to town, I owned a Massey GC2400, an earlier version of your tractor. Great little tractor with lots of power, you will enjoy it and the MMM does and excellent cutting job.:thumbsup:

/ Thanks for great input. I bought a tractor!!! #8  
Plowhog,

I think you'll find the Massey to be more than just a reliable choice.

I think you'll find it to be your partner in outdoor efforts and successes.

As Clipse mentioned . . you may have come to TBN to help purchase . . but now you'll start to learn alot more about how to use and care for your new partner in outdoor efforts.