Steiner questions

/ Steiner questions #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I have found a couple of used Steiner 440 tractors, a 2014 440 Kohler air cooled 40 hp and a 2015 Kubota liquid cooled 32 hp. Anyone out their with thoughts on these two, any problems specific to these models? Any thoughts on these versus similar Ventrac models. Thanks for your help.

/ Steiner questions #2  
I would not go anywhere near an air cooled machine for that kind of money. My dad had a 430 max Steiner with an air cooled Kohler. Nothing but trouble for him. Oil leaks and other issues. His incompetent local dealer did not help matters. He just bought a liquid cooled Kubota-powered replacement brand new. No hours on it yet, but I expect better results. I'll be looking at it over the holidays. Probably won't be pushing any snow while i'm there due to warm temps.

/ Steiner questions #3  
I am not a Steiner expert but have a 430 Diesel. I have seen lots of air cooled machines with new engines. Not a good sign I guess. Never seen a Diesel with an advertiesed new engine. I like mine, but it is slightly under powered and does not idle nicely. It also has virtually no lift capacity.

A friend who is a very discerning individual, had a 430 Diesel that got burned and got a 440 Diesel. He LOVES it.

/ Steiner questions #4  
I have a question for the OP. Why a Steiner? I don't have tons of hours on them, but I have operated them. For the money, they seem to be a very flimsy tractor. Also the implements are expensive and hard to come by second hand. Low ground clearance, small tires, low seating position, feet and butt not connected to the same part of the tractor... Just feels weird to me. I like CUTs. I tried to get my father to buy a small B series cab tractor with a belly mower for the 22 grand he spent on his new Steiner. No go. He likes the front cut of the mower and the low center of gravity and side-hill stability. Different strokes, I guess.

I will say that you should spec out a CUT using the same budget as a Steiner / Ventrac and compare to see what your money will buy.

Good luck.

/ Steiner questions #5  
I am not saying that a Steiner (or Ventrak) is an everything machine as the Web Sites might want you to believe. But there are things that it can do well, and better then a CUT. I have other larger machines so this has to be taken into consideration. I torched the old burned Steiner apart, and the last description I would have of a Steiner would be Flimsy, unless that somehow applies to heavy steel plate!

I had a CUT and don't miss it at all, especially the 3ph.

Steiner advantages:

very compact

without a rops, very low clearance requirements, good for branches

very, very easy to get on and off of. I even move mine without getting on at all!

Almost unprecidented hill stability, especially with duals

High Floatation, especially with duals, very little turf damage

very, very fast attachment changes

articulation, means you can turn very tightly and one wheel exactly follows the path of the other.

out-front mower, so you are not driving over grass before cutting it.

In all honesty, it is a tedious machine to operate for long periods of time, hence despite having three decks, it is not my main mowing machine.