Buying Advice Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer?

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #1  

Booch

Tractor
Steiner Utilimax
About to buy a replacement for our recently deceased Steiner Utilimax. We are down to two finalists and need your help!

We have 6 acre property, including some big grassy slopes up to 20% and some flat land. Barn with a few horses. Big garden of 1/4 acre. Uses of the tractor include mowing, moving manure / compost, tilling, pasture dragging.

Kubota and NH dealerships are both within 15 miles and both trying hard for our business, either of them would be good for product support. (FWIW, we are not considering JD because the local JD dealership has "real" farmers to deal with and treats us compact tractor users like second class citizens.) So:

$25K Kubota B3350 with front loader and 72" mid mount deck - lighter, better price, not a drive-over deck, permanent FEL arms.
$29-30K NH Boomer 37 or 41 with front loader and 66" or 72" mid mount deck respectively - heavier machines, drive over deck, rear remote, removable FEL arms.

All are hydrostatic. All have quick-connect bucket attachments and adjustable three-pt rear PTO, plus mid-PTO with MMM. We are having such a hard time figuring out which way to go that we ended up asking both dealerships to bring their machine to our property and demo it up the big hill to see how it does. If one of them cruises and one struggles, that'll make the decision. But basically is there anything else we should know? Is one of these just BETTER... and why? Making the purchase next week. Tell us what you think!

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #2  
Learned something new. Did not know the Kubota B3350 FEL cannot be removed. Are you sure?? That's surprising.

Anyway, listening to fellow TBN'ers that have each, I hear less complaints about the Kubota.

For the tasks you listed the heavier tractor will be at a disadvantage.

$4-5K is considerable and will buy you several attachments.

Post pics of whichever one you buy. We love seeing guys spend money. Stimulates the economy. :)

Welcome to TBN!!! :)

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #3  
$25K Kubota B3350 with front loader and 72" mid mount deck - lighter, better price, not a drive-over deck, permanent FEL arms.
$29-30K NH Boomer 37 or 41 with front loader and 66" or 72" mid mount deck respectively - heavier machines, drive over deck, rear remote, removable FEL arms.

All are hydrostatic. All have quick-connect bucket attachments and adjustable three-pt rear PTO, plus mid-PTO with MMM. We are having such a hard time figuring out which way to go that we ended up asking both dealerships to bring their machine to our property and demo it up the big hill to see how it does. If one of them cruises and one struggles, that'll make the decision. But basically is there anything else we should know? Is one of these just BETTER... and why? Making the purchase next week. Tell us what you think!

Welcome...I think the confusion on the B3350 is the bucket comes off via either a Kubota only pin on style or the newer two lever SS style with the FEL still on the tractor so you can switch to a blade or pallet forks (very handy btw). Both styles are available and I would strongly recommend the SS two lever style. But the FEL is a quick attach and come off arms with bucket as a unit regardless of q/a style.

Good luck with either choice...you will enjoy.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #4  
The fel (arms included) do come off the tractor on the B3350.

I would ask the Kubota dealer to show (not tell) you how the midmount mower goes on and off.

If you are satisfied with the process for mower attachment, then consider the value of 1 or 2 remotes. See how much to add 1 or 2 on the Kubota.

Then you'll be in a better position to decide. $4K is a big difference and the jobs you listed don't need the extra weigjt. Mind you, some jobs benefit by having more weight built in.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #5  
The front loader on the Kubota most certainly comes off. And I believe the 3350 is almost always equipped with an SSQA bucket as well.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #6  
That's really an apples to oranges comparison. The Boomer is a considerably larger, heavier machine capable of doing more heavy work. I don't think NH is currently offering a machine directly comparable to the Kubota you're looking at, however Kubota does offer models that are nose-to-nose equivalent to the various units in the NH Boomer series. Advice is often given here to buy more tractor than you think you need, but from what you've described, there's really nothing you couldn't get done with the smaller machine, particularly if you found the old Steiner adequate. The B3350 would be a respectable jump up from that benchmark. The B3350 would also be a very strong choice if you want a machine that will mow without leaving ruts in your lawn anytime the ground is a bit soft. If you decide to go for a bigger, heavier machine, have the Kubota dealer show you the orange models more directly comparable to the Boomer you're considering.

Others are correct about the Kubota loader. The whole thing detaches just like on the Boomer, and you can also just remove the bucket or swap it for another attachment, like pallet forks, etc.

The Boomer models you're looking at are made in Korea by LS for NH. LS is building a reputation in the US for manufacturing good equipment; you might find the same machine from an LS dealer, if there is one near you, for less money. Kubota makes and sells its own equipment, sells considerably more of these "compact tractors" than NH.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #8  
It's a complicated procedure that requires accurate information and management by the on-board computer. On a $300,000 tractor I am not too worried. But on a $20,000 tractor I get concerned that the same quality and money might not be spent on the computer system on-board.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #9  
If the emissions are a concern the 2650 might be considered, same 72 inch mmm, runs it fine, no turbo or regeneration stuff.

/ Kubota B-series or New Holland Boomer? #10  
I believe the NH WorkMaster series (same as the LS XG series) would compare a bit more closely to the B3350. The LS XR series (the Boomer series), like already mentioned, is a bit bigger and more of a "full featured" machine.

I agree with another poster here... If you are considering the NH, see if you have an LS dealer nearby. You will get the same tractor for 25% less money.