Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money?

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money?
I have followed your posts for quite some time since I noticed you were moving to MS. My first experience with tractors started near McComb MS. so I do pay attention to your posting. Lots of retired people are drawn to the rural life after making a living in the city. I think you are finding out that rural life isn't cheap.

You started this thread because I mentioned a large compact tlb. Makes me wonder what you would have thought if someone recommended he buy a full size backhoe and a row crop tractor .

Actually I am finding out that rural life is very inexpensive. Especially in Mississippi.

You were just the most recent poster of many in many threads who seemed to be going over the top. Unfortunately it happens all the time here. One of the things I got awards for while working for the Army was procurement of "right sized equipment". In that particular thread most of the posters seemed to agree that a 30 to 50 HP tractor was about what the OP (who wrote
I just need to have enough hp that it can be done.
) needed, then you suggest a an M59/M62 which will probably run around $70K.

I don't really understand the term "large compact tlb". But having maneuvered both my 23HP tractor and my 50HP tractor around the woods I think a 60HP TLB might be a pain.

A
full size backhoe and a row crop tractor
would be massive overkill for the 65 acres. Especially for someone who writes
I just need to have enough hp that it can be done.
and won't have any row crops.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #22  
You can still do the family hay ride in the fall with a pretty small tractor, and have a good time.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #23  
You can still do the family hay ride in the fall with a pretty small tractor, and have a good time.
I have a trailer just for doing the hay ride thing, but it does not get done often enough ! Lots of great ideas, just short on time each day etc. Maybe someday I will consider retiring, but I don't think that way at age 65.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #24  
newbury,
If you perceive a 60 hp compact to be a big tractor that is okay with me. Everything is relative though. I commented that if I had it to do over again and only had one machine that I would buy the M59 (M62 cab new version) with factory cab. That would fit my uses well and be an all in one tractor loader backhoe with as much power as my current 60hp cab tractor and still have the benefits of an industrial tlb like my 110. That would be about $25,000 cheaper than the pair I have now. Still I much prefer having two separate machines and paid the extra cost. These two tractors have worked out well for me but I can see the need for a much larger tractor too. It depends on how much work you need to do in a given amount of time, that is why they make little tractors and big tractors.

I did not recommend the OP buy anything yet, we are still waiting on specifics as you inquired about early on. Chances are he will buy a subcut now and trade up later.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #25  
I don't have 65 acres, about half actually. I could certainly put a full size backhoe to work. A full size would be over kill, but I would have sufficient use for something like a L45. At times the lift capacity of a full size backhoe would be nice. My Cut has pretty good lift capacity for a Cut at 1800 pounds, but that is limiting.

Last edited:
   / Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #26  
I don't have 65 acres, about half actually. I could certainly put a full size backhoe to work. A full size would be over kill, but I would have sufficient use for something like a L45. At times the lift capital of a full size backhoe would be nice. My Cut has pretty good lift capacity for Cut at 1800 pounds, but that is limiting.

The job at hand regardless of the acreage can determine what size machine is needed. Doesn't take a big tractor to clip 20 acres of thin grass. To level 5 acres with 6,000 yards of dirt to be moved requires larger machines. Still I did use my x758 to mow down this 5 acres at the start of the project so I could see the lay of the land. Sometimes it takes all sizes to get the job done.

Last Wednesday I had 42 pallets of retaining wall block delivered to a jobsite. I knew in advance that my 110 will require I split up these pallets. An M62 could pick them up whole. In this particular case the 4520 tractor isn't beneficial for the job, and thinking about it made me mention the M62 tlb. But 95% of the time having the two separate tractors for most of my work is the way to go.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #27  
I think you have the right approach look at the wide range of sizes and compare their abilities now before you buy. Some people need a 20hp tractor and others need a 600hp tractor, I recommend you spend the time to figure out what fits you and your anticipated jobs before buying the wrong size tractor.

Normally, I would not post on a these "what tractor do I need," "which oil is best" threads cause they always seem to get personal and folks start attacking each other but jenkinsph hit the nail on the head with his statement. ONLY YOU (the OP) know what your real requirements are.

I posted I needed to clear land and dig a pond, many posted a lot of good ideals but the best was to rent a lot of equipment and test. So, I rented several TLBs all the way up to a 97 HP CAT before going back to the L45 Kubota. I wanted the CAT but only needed the Kubota. Hindsight, I could have used the M59 and would have saved the cost difference since I rented an excavator in the end to dig up stumps faster (actually, I found out I needed to own one). I am not rich nor poor, middle class at best, whether I can afford it or not is up to me but I would not get irritated if someone thought I could use a bigger tractor based on the few words I might post on a thread.

I have found as many TBN'ers have found out, it is hard to have a one size fits all tractor, so I own three now and they each have their use.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #28  
This is a good thread because it helps us all be more effectively helpful.
Since we all know it's impolite for us to discuss what someone else can afford, it sure is helpful when someone provides a budget number. And then of course is that just for the tractor or all the implements you need too? The latter can sure add up, even if you buy used. Does the person inquiring have any experience? 14 Posts and an avatar with only a Craftsman lawn mower in it might tell us something...vs. trying to suggest anything helpful to a pro like GreenPower who has forgotten more than I know.

The OP is right. It's because we are human, we dream, many of us are technically minded and we always want a "better tool" and frankly since we want the other
person to be happy and their equipment to work properly, erring a little more vs less on equipment rarely is a bad idea. Besides, like Roy said, it's fun!

I had a used tractor and then I bought a nice new one. With a cab. But boy I sure wish I had bought an M for the hydraulic capability. The FEL on my L5740 is just plain weak, for my purposes, and two dealers have checked the system pressure so it is what it is. Otherwise the tractor has been flawless. But I sure wish I had read, or simply been more knowledgeable about how a loader performed; pure newbie with my first one. And I wish I had bought a bigger one...
I'm still paying on that tractor with 0% financing and now that I'm retired, I don't want to borrow money from anyone. I think that's a sensitivity Newbury has regarding maybe making do with less expensive alternatives vs the latest new stuff. You can't fault the replies though since as has been said several times here, we just don't know enough to give more helpful advice that points a person down a path that is feasible vs just pie in the sky for them.

I have been a motorhead since I was a little kid. Likely many of us have been. Anything with an engine and wheels gets my attention.
I'd rather spend my money on a nice new rear blade from ETA vs a Porsche in the garage. We all make those choices and we earned that right to make them.

Like most/many of us I can only afford one new tractor. And actually I'd love a little BX with that tiny loader to haul flowers and trees I plant all over the place, with less damage to the lawn than my L. And I'd love to have an L59 so I could use that backhoe on my drainage ditches. And....

Some folks only buy new. Some folks only buy used. There is no right or wrong answer I think here. It's all about the search for utility and value.
And not stealing from the children's college fund.

Hey guys, what's a good trimming push mower?

Well....you need to look at a new Ventrac slope mower in case you have hills! Only $22,500

Uh, well, yeah, ok....

we hear you Newbury

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #29  
Good thread! There is so much experience and knowledge here on TBN it boggles the mind. You can definitely tell the difference between the bells and whistles group to the utilitarian group.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #30  
As to the OP, I feel no need to justify my advice, it is easily ignored as taken. Someone asks for an opinion then expect to get some, don't get upset if you don't like them.