Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money?

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Lots of threads here start out with the OP laying out a few parameters of what he wants to do, a little of what he owns, and sketchy about how much he can spend.

Most of us are fairly tight with our dollars. But when it comes to advising someone on their tractor needs a lot of TBN'ers seem to believe that everybody is *****.

A guy writes that he doesn't want to spend $$ on a mower because money is tight and is only doing this as a hobby, a reply advises him to buy a $70,000 tractor.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #2  
Well, if you can afford to buy a new tractor then a few dollars more isn't a big deal. Many of us have learned what we should have spent a couple extra bucks on and is much more expensive to go back and change it now. A cab is one of those decisions that is hard to go back on. I'm so glad I spent the extra money on it. I actually wish I would have went up a model size for an additional 10 hp. Hindsight is 20 20 though.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #3  
It's easy and it's fun...that's what TBN is all about.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #4  
Would you rather advice someone to buy a BX which everyone knows is too small and they will almost certainly be disappointed with, or recommend a tractor that will do the job and not disappoint?

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #5  
In many cases, including this one, the OP never gives a sense of what "a lot" or "little" is. Is his budget $7000 or $30000. Is 25 hp big in his mind or is 50hp little in his mind?
A lot of our answers are based on our own frame of reference (tractor size, budget, climate, terrain, etc.. ) because that is what we know, especially if the OP doesn't state otherwise.
Plus there's the one-up-man-ship factor: to any suggest there's always a better answer that costs just a little more. Plus it's easy to spend when it's not your money. (Insert political comments here)

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #6  
Well, is it FUN to spend other peoples money. That is why we have children ! However, I don't like to spend money just to spend money. I have no cable service for the past 12 years or so. My phone is an old style flip model. I did purchase a 2015 Ford F150 in May, that I really like. BUT, I don't want to use it, so it is put away to save for ??? I have 1,300 miles on it, and it had almost 500 when the dealer delivered it to me ! But, I do agree that buying a tractor for most is a decision, that should not be lightly considered, or disappointment will follow. I have fun tractors & usable tractors, but a couple are just plain too small for anything usable. That is why I sold at auction (gave away) a year ago the little JD loader tractor that I had. It was just too small to be practical. The prior owner was elderly and it was just right for him. But honestly, I only spend my own (or bank's) money, not money of others. Happy New Year !

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #7  
Lots of threads here start out with the OP laying out a few parameters of what he wants to do, a little of what he owns, and sketchy about how much he can spend.

Most of us are fairly tight with our dollars. But when it comes to advising someone on their tractor needs a lot of TBN'ers seem to believe that everybody is *****.

A guy writes that he doesn't want to spend $$ on a mower because money is tight and is only doing this as a hobby, a reply advises him to buy a $70,000 tractor.

I did not advise him to buy a 70,000 dollar tractor but I did say if I had to do it from scratch that is what I would do. I might add that a lot of pickups have a list of 70,000 today.

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #8  
I think that is how you learn. I know I have ridden UP the price schedule and back down a few times here on TBN. It is from exploring uses and tractor solutions that you find what each end of your "needs" are...then you eventually sort out your primary applications and translate that into a defined tractor and attachments.

I have learned a huge amount about tractors, capabilities, limitations and many other related factors in working toward a purchase...and I STILL move up and down the horsepower/weight equation at least a couple of times a day :)

Today I learned a bit about the Kubota M series...which I had never looked at before. Looks like a lot of "value" as you move up the tractor size scale...****...now I HAVE to get an even bigger pick-up truck and trailer! Soon I will be looking at a DuraMax Dually! :) TMR

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #9  
I think that is how you learn. I know I have ridden UP the price schedule and back down a few times here on TBN. It is from exploring uses and tractor solutions that you find what each end of your "needs" are...then you eventually sort out your primary applications and translate that into a defined tractor and attachments.

I have learned a huge amount about tractors, capabilities, limitations and many other related factors in working toward a purchase...and I STILL move up and down the horsepower/weight equation at least a couple of times a day :)

Today I learned a bit about the Kubota M series...which I had never looked at before. Looks like a lot of "value" as you move up the tractor size scale...damx...now I HAVE to get an even bigger pick-up truck and trailer! Soon I will be looking at a DuraMax Dually! :) TMR

/ Why are we so willing to spend other peoples money? #10  
I believe the 'living large' crowd likes to huff and puff about their real or imagined ability to afford top of the line stuff. I happen to value frugality, planning for purchases and enjoy the 'hunt' for bargains. I do enjoy lots of toys, but don't just wake on some morning and head out to a dealer. I go out and stumble upon a lot of cool stuff and then buy it on a whim, especially if it's 'broken' or 'inop'. I like to fix up machines, equipment and other mechanical stuff and have gotten pretty good at it. Shy away from electronically controlled stuff because you can't repair it with a welder, Gorilla Glue or Duct Tape.

There's only two things currently in our home that were bought new: a huge TV (on sale last one at Costco) and a mission style dining room table (should have waited for an estate sale to get an even better one). Yet, all our friends and visitors can't believe how beautiful the house looks and how much 'cool factor' stuff is in the house, barn, machinery shed and used for outdoor decoration. Pay cash or charge with immediate payment, and have learned to buy stuff without 'marrying it'.

I wouldn't buy a $70,000 truck because a truck to me is a work, abuse, overload, beat, scratch, dog hair filled trailer pulling, stump lifting, wood hauling, cart pushing tool. It only gets waxed once or so a year and only with a coupon.