Buying Advice Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #1  

aschwerin

Tractor
1971 Ford 2000 diesel
I've had an 8N for years. Though its a good tractor in its own right, I'm tired of messing with it, and I really need something with more power. I bought a Ford 6600 at an auction. It was way more tractor than I needed. Sold it a few days ago and I'd like to get something that is appropriate for me.

I have a big garden. The 8N works fine, but 1st gear is too fast. I move round bales. The 8N is woefully lacking in hydraulic power and front end weight. I brush hog about 10 to 15 acres. Again, the 8N is underpowered and the tranny PTO clutch is frustrating. The 6600 was too big on my little pastures on big hillsides. I have a flail mower I use in the pastures, and the 8N bogs down. I really like the independent PTO, 16 gears, good parking brake, strong hydraulics of the 6600.

I'm looking at different makes, and narrowing down selections within each make. Looking for 35-50 HP (40 should be enough for now). Hoping to get more acreage sometime in my future. After having a diesel (the 6600), I prefer gas, just because I know how to work on a gas engine. I use very few tractor hours in a year, so engine longevity is not an issue for me.

I'm looking at older, low-cost, reliable models. Selection will depend much on availability and condition:

Massey Ferguson. 35-50. The later 135 with a Z145 engine looks good. Seems 35 is enough, at a lighter weight than a 50. I'm not sure about how I will like the 2 stage clutch.

Ford. 2000 - 4000. 2000 looks light, 4000 heavy. Maybe the 3000/3600?

Allis Chalmers D15/D17. They look like real nice tractors, and there are a few in the are for sale, but I am unfamiliar with them.

I have not attraction to JD or Farmall. I know nothing about IH or Deutz.

I would just appreciate any inputs. After the 6600 ordeal, I know I do not want to be in the business of buying and moving tractors. I'd like to get the right one, and keep it for half a lifetime.

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #2  
You might want to check with or find old threads by Soundguy, he is very knowledgeable on the older Fords. We have a NAA, 600, and 601 Powermaster, but they have their drawbacks.

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #3  
I think you are on the right track with the MF and the ford 2000-4000 series. Probably two of the most popular in that size.

Personally, I'd shy away from the D15-d17. Could be wrong, but just dont see them as much. Parts, new or used, are likely more $$$ and harder to come by than the fords or masseys.

Not much weight difference between 2000,3000,4000 either. Certainly not enough to be noticeable for what you are doing

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #4  
That Massey 135 sounds like a good fit. There are a ton of them in this area, and they seem to be a reliable unit. Getting parts will be easy enough, and if you are handy with a wrench, it seems easy enough to work on.

I started out with an 8n, seemed like I used it 2 days a week and the rest of the week I tried to find out why it wouldn' start again. Diesels, not that temperamental, they are mules, gasses are more like a horse.

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #5  
You didn't mention your budget??

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #6  
JD 1530 or 2240 would be a nice fit in this category but I do not know the IH tractors of this size.

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor
Somehow I wasn't getting notice of replies.

Thanks for the input.

ovrszd, my budget would be not spending more than a couple hundred dollars a year in repairs. I look at the initial cost as an investment and the price should just be fair to good for the model. I prefer paying for good condition - I'm not looking for a restore project.

Creamer, I will look at those JD models. I've gotten the impression that JD parts are more expensive?

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor #9  
You really can't go wrong with a Massey 135 or the 2000-4000 series Fords but you have to accept that with machines that old, you're going to have to work on them with some frequency. You can get virtually any part for either of them from multiple sources, and there are so many of them out there that you're not likely to run into a problem that somebody hasn't already experienced, so that's a plus.

On the other hand, if you go a bit newer, and spend a touch more, you might get away with really nothing more than routine service, but that will likely make it a diesel since there aren't many gas tractors that new. My Massey is either a late 1999 or early 2000 production machine, I paid $7,500 for it, and all I've had to do was replace the fuel lift pump ($35) and had the steering cylinders rebuilt when they started to drip ($200). Machines like it are still really simple, and with no electronics, don't really require a diesel mechanic to keep running for many, many years.

/ Input on shopping for older mid-size tractor
I will consider that GMan. I ruled out getting a newer Kubota. I know they are popular, but I see so much more value in those good old tractors.

I don't mind doing some repairs, but its like rgr33 said; with the 8N my wife joked that every time I wanted to use it I had to fix it first.

I thought about this Ford 2000 quite a bit this morning, looks like a good clean tractor nearby for a good price at $2400. But it sounds like it has a tranny PTO, and I just can't see messing with that for the next decade or two. The wife says it is different than their 8N, but it sounds like the way my 8N works. The hubby noted that the PTO doesn't have to run for the hydraulics to run. Which is a nice, but not quite enough of an upgrade for me. 12391121_1005657399502004_3276197125752027898_n.jpg