Buying Advice Would you recommend your compact Kubota?

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #1  

Andyrob

Tractor
IH
I want to downsize from an IH 485 (a smallholder's 'normal' sized, 50hp 2wd) to a used smaller, 4wd, Kubota compact - say around 18hp / 30hp. It'll be used for what it's suited to - I just want something smaller and lighter to suit my advancing years and the messing around I get up to in my retirement.

We've had an importer here in the UK since 1980 so anything from then that's been well looked after, right up to the 2000's, would probably do. But the choice is bewildering and there's not too many from which to choose.

So, what's generally regarded as a good model to have? Say from 1985 to 2005, sold in the UK in good numbers - for ease of buying/spares/attachments - and with no particular vice or 'issue'.

And if you'd like to recommend a particular engine/gearbox/transmission - which would possibly give me a choice of several models - that would be very useful too.

Many thanks.

PS - If you are thinking of selling something like the above and are in the East Midlands, between Norwich and Leeds, do please PM.

Last edited:
   / Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #2  
I have a Grand L3240 ( a little bigger than what you wanted), and yes I would recommend it. It is a great machine. I push it to the limit often without any trouble. My grandpa has a Standard L3800, and no I wouldn't recommend it. The standard L isn't that great. I think a different brand at a cheaper price is a better way to go.

Last edited:
   / Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #3  
What will you use it for?

There are a lot of small 4wd Kubota's that are good units. But it depends on what work and how much of it to match the right tractor.

I have a B2620 with a loader and mower that I like. Bought a rototiller for it.

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #4  
If you're used to a full size machine...one of the biggest differences is the overall weight.
I have a 17 HP B series and it is an awesome little tractor...and even with only 17 HP it's never lacked for power...just weight/traction...

Another factor is lighter tractors and lighter implements can take a little longer...

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #5  
:welcome:
To TBN Andy. I have a 32hp 4WD Kubota and I would definitely recommend it. But like GP stated, it all depends on what you will be using it for.

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #6  
i had a kubota b 6200 loader and made backhoe. was nice but wished it was bigger. after 7 years without it now have b 3200 with loader and backhoe. love it. just has the power that i WANTED and never looked back. buy the biggest tractor you think you want and then go a little bigger.

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #7  
I have a L4610 and although it is a bit bigger than you stated, it's still a compact.

I would absolutely recommend it. I push it to its limit quite often and although I yearn for a more capable tractor at times, I'm continuously impressed with what it can do.

The L4610 was made in '02 and '03 I believe, but many are just like it.
There is no difference performance wise as to the nice new Grand L series but they are improved overall, however for half the cost you can get an identically capable tractor.

I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it mechanically. I think I bought it about 5 years ago now, and literally nothing has been an issue for me. Great. Reliable. Tractor.

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #8  
I had a 2012 L3800 gearshift with an FEL and yes I would highly recommend another L series Kubota to anyone.

I bought a MF 4610 with an FEL so I didn't really need the Kubota with the FEL and wanted a slightly larger tractor in the MF 2615 for general farm work. That is why I did the trade of my Kubota. I put over 500 hours on the Kubota with very minimal problems. At around 30 hours the fuel system somehow became air locked but after I bled the tractor I never had another issue. A couple of times I did have minor problems in getting a hydraulic hose rehooking when I wanted to remount the FEL.

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #9  
I love Kubota and reccommended one to an institutional customer some nine years ago. A forty or HP L series cab tractor, FEL and front mount blower. They are not pleased with it. Poor lifting capacity, numerous mechanical failures and they spend 2-3 grand on repairs a year on this outfit. I feel kind of bad. I would not say they abuse it, but they see it as more of a "hobby" tractor and are considering something maybe in an agricultural model .

/ Would you recommend your compact Kubota? #10  
I owned a B2410 for 11 years and loved it. It did everything I needed a tractor to do which included use as my primary lawn mower (60" MMM). I never had a trouble with this tractor and would highly recommend it.
Good luck.

John