Buying Advice Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #1  
Tractor
John Deere 410B Backhoe/Loader
Hi all,

We are a meditation center looking to purchase a newer backhoe than our current 1984 John Deer 410B. Our 410B is in fairly good condition, but diesel is leaking into the oil through most likely the injector pump, the water pump is becoming slightly loose, and the joints in the front axle and knuckles are getting pretty egged out.

So, we're wondering what your thoughts are on the best way to trade ours in, and the best way to go about acquiring/finding/testing a newer model (is it online, word of mouth, local dealers?). It doesn't have to be as huge as ours, just pretty close. We are located in upstate New York, near Port Jervis, NY.

Thank you very much for your kindness, and we look forward to hearing from you.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #2  
Trade in probably wouldn't get you much...even if you were going for a brand new TLB.

I suggest trying Craigslist for both buying and selling...really depends on your budget to replace the machine.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #3  
I spent countless hours on Craigslist, Equipment Trader and Machinery trader when I was shopping backhoes....never saw what I wanted on CL. I wound up buying from a dealer I found from a Machinery Trader ad. They were within driving distance, so I kept checking their website every couple of days to see if anything new showed up...eventually they had two I was interested, so I drove there and put a deposit on the one I have now. They had a couple of others that I was interested in, but I was never able to get there in time to look at them before they were sold. That told me they were dealing in enough volume that eventually they'd have what I was looking for.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #4  
Craig's List and Tractorhouse, Machinery.com, and several other sites potentially list equipment, even eBay, and use Searchtempest to broaden your search area. Just start looking, do your homework on value and be ready to pounce when something decent pops up. Local dealers as well, of course. You just never know where and when what you want will appear. I found my first Kubota on Craig's list, my second at Messick's via Tractorhouse, I think, and our present via Craig's List and Tractorhouse... a private seller, but his dealer had it on consignment by the time I saw it... still, the deal went private. Your type of backhoe or TLB may be more rare, used, since they are mostly used commercially, and hard.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #5  
Repairs to the current machine wouldn't cost nearly as much as an upgrade.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #6  
What type of Meditation?

I like Municipal Auctions. They don't misrepresent the condition of equipment. They maintain equipment to a high standard and will spend a lot of money even prior to auction. Also, they don't run the equipment into the ground. Usually it's just nicely used. Plus you often get equipment at wholesale cost. Often I am bidding against dealers.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe #7  
Repairs to the current machine wouldn't cost nearly as much as an upgrade.

I agree, easy enough to have the injector pump rebuilt, install new water pump or rebuild it and replace the knuckle joint parts. Maybe a few more parts and seat if needed for about $3,000.

/ Best place to purchase a used loader and backhoe
Thank you all so much for your thoughful help. We'll take a look around at some of those sites, and maybe like jenkinsph says we'll look at repairs.
Very kind of you all and we appreciate it.
Kadampa Meditation Center New York
kadampanewyork.org