Comparison plows vs cultivators

/ plows vs cultivators #11  
Are the very old (antique) Ferguson cultivators useful any more? Or just lawn ornaments?

/ plows vs cultivators #12  
Ferguson used top quality materials and field tested his implements exhaustively. If you can find a Ferguson implement in good condition after all these years, grab it.

The Field Cultivator referenced by Ken Sweet in Post #9 is a copy of the original Ferguson implement, which Ferguson called a "tiller" and Ford/Dearborn called a "Field Cultivator". Designed and first built by Ferguson about 1934.

Ferguson CULTIVATORS are a bit different; see photo.

Ken Sweet occasionally offers original, old, Ferguson Cultivators.

Attachments

• _DSC2244.jpg
    _DSC2244.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 152
   / plows vs cultivators
thank you all Im just writing a speech for my ag class

/ plows vs cultivators #14  
Education is important. Write a GOOD speech.

jeff9366

/ plows vs cultivators #15  
Are the very old (antique) Ferguson cultivators useful any more? Or just lawn ornaments?

I have a 6' HD disc harrow of theirs that I use for a plow as everyone else around here does. Guy that had it wanted to sell his MF 135 (I think it was) too but I already had 7 tractors and didn't need his, one of which was a Perkie dieseled MF 35....sweet little machine.

/ plows vs cultivators #16  

If the user does not have access to a roto tiller, a cultivator/tiller will prepare a seedbed. I have used them to deep till a tobacco patch after moldboard plowing. Ken Sweet

/ plows vs cultivators #17  
Most everyone I know uses chisel plows and they haven't even been mentioned in this thread. They do a much better job of fracturing the soil to stimulate root growth with less chance of erosion.

/ plows vs cultivators #18  
Most everyone I know uses chisel plows and they haven't even been mentioned in this thread. They do a much better job of fracturing the soil to stimulate root growth with less chance of erosion.

You are correct, However, they do require a little more hp. We guesstimate around 15 hp per shank, depending on the soil type and how deep you need to go. Ken Sweet
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/U1oAAOxyLN9SkONu/s-l1600.jpg

/ plows vs cultivators #19  

You are correct, However, they do require a little more hp. We guesstimate around 15 hp per shank, depending on the soil type and how deep you need to go. Ken Sweet
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/U1oAAOxyLN9SkONu/s-l1600.jpg

/ plows vs cultivators #20  

I bought a Hay King Renovator several years ago that works great on the subjects mentioned. It does a great job of opening the Houston Black Clay here and slicing through the Coastal Bermuda shoots which causes each piece of runner to produce a new plant. The other thing it does is produce cracks where the coulters and shanks run which open up during the dry seasons but bring fresh nutrients and moisture to the sub soil when it rains in the fall. Also they produce a uniform grouping of small cracks rather than random large cracks, some large enough to get your foot and part of your leg caught in one.