Need some input on a new tractor...

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #1  

serfas

Tractor
TBD
Hi everyone, I've lurked here for a few weeks but am now looking for some advice from all you knowledgeable folks.

We purchased 7.5 acres of land and plan to build a house. The area where the house and garage will go has tall softwood and hardwood trees that are over 12 in diameter, so I plan to cut out the trees I want and then bring in some heavy equipment to knock the remaining trees down and remove the stumps. I have access to a logging winch, so I was planning to use a tractor to skid out the trees I want before the heavy equipment comes in.

I plan to clear out a section of our back 5 acres to build a large vegetable garden, greenhouse, a chicken coup and some space for the dog once the house is finished. The back area I plan to clear is about 1.5 acres and is all softwood trees (less than 6 diameter).

In the winter, I want a tractor for keeping the driveway clear using a plow and then eventually a snow blower. The rest of the year, I want the tractor for developing the land and then maintaining the vegetable garden, field and the driveway. I'd like to use the tractor during construction of the house to do some of the landscaping.

I'd appreciate some opinions on the following:
-How much tractor do I need? Kubota, Kioti, John Deere and Mahindra are all sold close to me. There is also an LS dealer about an hour away. Could I get by with something like a Kubota B series, or can I justify going up to the L Series? Would 25 HP be enough, or should I go up in HP? I plan to buy a hydrostatic transmission.
- I'd considering getting a tractor backhoe when I buy the tractor. Would a tractor backhoe be enough to remove the stumps on the back area I wish to clear (6-8" diameter)? Would it be worth the additional cost?

Thanks.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #2  
I assume a Front End Loader (FEL) is being considered.

You cannot get enough backhoe power on a Kubota "B' size tractor to accomplish the stump work you have enumerated in a reasonable amount of time. Rent a mini-excavator for the stumps or hire stump removal out.

Once the stumps are gone, what are the proposed tasks you wish to accomplish with your $6,000 small backhoe?

Unless you have a goodly list of tasks, take the $6,000 and put it toward a heavier tractor with a wider, more stable stance. Beside cost, consider the additional complexity a Backhoe adds to your tractor-loader. Many more zirks to grease.

Have you owned, maintained or operated a tractor in the past? Will other family members operate your tractor?

If adolescents will operate spend more to get a heavier, more stable platform.

How much snow will you need to deal with? How long is your driveway? I cannot address snow from my experience in Florida, but I believe 25-hp is marginal for medium to heavy snow moving. Others will comment more knowledgeably on snow.

A large vegetable garden is 1/2 acre. Very time consuming. A 25-hp tractor is ample for a 1/2 acre or 1 acre garden. You will want a Three Point Hitch mounted, PTO powered, roto-tiller.

Plan your garage with a tall door, so you can move your tractor in and out without having to lower the ROPS. Heat is not important but plan for humidity control. A cheap wall-plug, stand-alone de-humidifier, plumbed to exhaust water outside, works fine.

Last edited:
   / Need some input on a new tractor...
You cannot get enough backhoe power on a Kubota "B' size tractor to accomplish the stump work you have enumerated in a reasonable amount of time. Rent a mini-excavator for the stumps or hire stump removal out.

Once the stumps are gone, what are the proposed tasks you wish to accomplish with your $6,000 small backhoe?

Unless you have a goodly list of tasks, take the $6,000 and put it toward a heavier tractor with a wider, more stable stance. Beside cost, consider the additional complexity a Backhoe adds to your tractor-loader.

Have you owned or operated a tractor in the past? Will other family members operate your tractor? If adolescents will operate spend more to get a heavier, more stable platform.

How much snow will you need to deal with? How long is your driveway? I cannot address snow from my experience in Florida, but I believe 25-hp is marginal for medium to heavy snow moving. Others will comment more knowledgeably on snow.

A large vegetable garden is 1/2 acre. Very time consuming. A 25-hp tractor is ample for a 1/2 acre or 1 acre garden. You will want a Three Point Hitch mounted, PTO powered, roto-tiller.

Plan your garage with a tall door, so you can move your tractor in and out without having to lower the ROPS. Heat is not important but plan for humidity control.

Thanks Jeff - all good points to consider. This will be my first tractor...

Sorry, the driveway will be about 100m (300'). I have a friend nearby who clears snow and maintains his lane with a Kubota 30 HP L series, but then again I know people who clear snow with a B series and smaller. I'd originally started looking at a L3301 or CK3510 with a backhoe, but thought that might be overkill for my needs. I figured I could always sell a backhoe or trade it in on a new implement if I ran out of uses for it.

I wasn't planning to turn the full 1.5 acres into a garden, but just wanted a cleared area for a garden, a greenhouse and some open space for the dog. I won't be planting a 1/2 acre garden starting out, but I would rather clear the space to expand in the future if I want to.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #4  
Backhoes are fairly specific to tractor brands, then tractor models, so you have a small potential customer base for a used Backhoe.

Category 1 implements fit all Category 1 tractors, so implements are simple to buy/sell/trade.

Will other family members operate your tractor?

I originally started looking at a L3301 or CK3510 with a backhoe, but thought that might be overkill for my needs.

I started with a well seasoned JD750 subcompact as a learning tractor. Then I bought a new Kubota B3300 SU (33-hp/25-hp PTO). Lots of power, not enough weight. I had it up on two wheels often, one wheel sometimes, and staying alive mandated moving up to a heavy-frame L3560. TRY TO BE SMARTER THAN I WAS.

Most of your tractor selection comes down to Backhoe or NO Backhoe and how much power to remove snow from a 300' driveway in 'X' amount of time.

All the tractor brands your are considering are good.

Last edited:
   / Need some input on a new tractor... #5  
serfas, if money isn't an issue then get a little bigger tractor. I would jump up into the L series. I had an L3800 and I could do tons with it. When I had it I had 12 acres to maintain and I never wanted for more tractor. I can see however had I went with something like say a b2650 that I would have needed something bigger. I have since gotten another 60 acres of land and have had to move up from the L3800. But I don't see you ever regretting getting something a little bit bigger. Too small and you could have regrets.

In my most recent MF purchase I too went back and forth with what to get. I checked out the GC series. Though I liked the machines and the prices I just felt that I wanted a heavier machine. So I chose a 1726E. Since this isn't a primary machine for me and it will only see mowing use I didn't need more HP than the one I chose. But because of some of my terrain I did want the extra weight of this one and the extra width for stability's sake.

As far as what you choose take a couple of day trips and check out everything within a reasonable drive. Sit on these machines and drive them and see which one feels best for you. Then make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. Good shopping!

/ Need some input on a new tractor...
Backhoes are fairly specific to tractor brands, then tractor models, so you have a small potential customer base for a used Backhoe. Category 1 implements fit all Category 1 tractors, so implements are simple to buy/sell/trade.

Will other family members operate your tractor?

I started with a well seasoned JD750 subcompact as a learning tractor. Then I bought a new Kubota B3300 SU (33-hp/25-hp PTO). Lots of power, not enough weight. I had it up on two wheels often, one wheel sometimes, and staying alive mandated moving up to my heavy-frame L3560. TRY TO BE SMARTER THAN I WAS.

Most of your tractor selection comes down to Backhoe or NO Backhoe and how much power to remove snow from a 300' driveway.

Would a backhoe on an L series be more capable of digging out those smaller stumps? The other use that comes to mind is the landscaping work around the house and on the front part of my property.

I would like my wife to be able to use the tractor to clear snow when I'm away.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #7  
That's a lot of work up front, maybe not so much later. I'd go L for sure, for not a lot more money there is the MX. I like my MX a lot, it is a hoss and with just over six acres of mixed stumps and planted forrest I've been keeping it busy doing work similar to what you're thinking. I fear I'll run out of work to justify the size but keep finding more work and I'm only 1/3 the way done with the yard:D

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #8  
Would a backhoe on an L series be more capable of digging out those smaller stumps?

Yes, but digging the number of stumps you have specified will be very time consuming.

The Three Point Hitch is the hard working part of a tractor. To mount implements on the Three Point Hitch you have to remove the Backhoe and store it.

The other use that comes to mind is the landscaping work around the house and on the front part of my property.

Backhoe will be good for landscaping but you will use the FEL much more than the Backhoe.

Great idea!!!!!!!! You may have to remove the Backhoe.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #9  
Would a backhoe on an L series be more capable of digging out those smaller stumps? The other use that comes to mind is the landscaping work around the house and on the front part of my property.

I guess I gotta read to the bottom:rolleyes:

My BH92, which I believe is the same one for the L pulls 8-16" pine stumps out averaging 6 minutes a piece including driving forward to the next one. Granted my stumps are in a straight line and I don't have other trees to maneuver around to dig.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #10  
I would think about a cabbed tractor. Digging stumps out with a tractor is a waste of time, and it is very tough on the equipment. Excavator is what you want for stumps. If you really want a backhoe on a tractor look at the dedicated tlb's. I would also go bigger than what you think you'll need. I have a ford 1720 (28hp). I use my has a bx-80 backhoe. Very handy, but slow. When I get another tractor I'm going 45 hp +. I use it for building and the bigger tractor would be much more useful.