Buying Advice Buying a Zero-Turn Mower

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #21  
OK, dangerous idea, but let's forget money for a moment. I tell you I want to cut 6-7 acres of decent (not perfect) lawn around the house on my 25 acres. What are the specs that I should look for. I'm now thinking speed, steel grade, and mower width. Do weight and HP mean anything?

I have a number in mind that I'd like to stay under, but the main concern here is getting something that will cut the grass well. So try to set aside price and give me pointers, while keeping it to things that I need.

52/54" or 60", at least ZT3400 Hydros, No less than 25hp, roll bar. In my opinion, mowers today are overpowered. You dont need 35hp to run a 60" deck. I had a 52" deck commercial toro with a 19hp and it did the job just fine.

Seriosuly, 6-7 acres more than a few times a year you are needing commercial level. Ferris 600/700 are great machines. Also look for Deere 757's with the 7-Iron deck.

If you want good cut quality, but arent worried about striping or ruts in the grass a RFM would be best.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #22  
Heck, I'm SOLD on front mount decks for ride alone, let alone how much better you can see what the deck is going and get under bushes/branches ect...

Then there's accessories you can mount on the front too...

SR

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #23  
OK, dangerous idea, but let's forget money for a moment. I tell you I want to cut 6-7 acres of decent (not perfect) lawn around the house on my 25 acres. What are the specs that I should look for. I'm now thinking speed, steel grade, and mower width. Do weight and HP mean anything? I have a number in mind that I'd like to stay under, but the main concern here is getting something that will cut the grass well. So try to set aside price and give me pointers, while keeping it to things that I need.
I don't think HP is very important. Any good quality machine will have pretty suitable motor. Weight is good. A heavy mower is obviously heavier duty than a 400 pound mower. I really like my F-series Kubota which is front desk, but is too big for some of the small yards I cut. Although I have never used one a think a Grasshopper would offer the best of both worlds.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #24  
Heck, I'm SOLD on front mount decks for ride alone, let alone how much better you can see what the deck is going and get under bushes/branches ect... Then there's accessories you can mount on the front too... SR
No kidding. Let's have have a contest to mow up under a bunch of trees with limbs touching the ground. SR and I will use our front decks, and you guys can use a ZTR. Next, let's blow snow, blow leafs, use a power sweep, and plow snow.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #25  
OK, dangerous idea, but let's forget money for a moment. I tell you I want to cut 6-7 acres of decent (not perfect) lawn around the house on my 25 acres. What are the specs that I should look for. I'm now thinking speed, steel grade, and mower width. Do weight and HP mean anything? .
My opinion, ZT 3400 or bigger transmissions
At least a 54", 60" deck. (I'm running a 35 HP with 72" deck for my 7 acres lawn)
At least 23-30 HP for the 54"-60" deck. 30-37 HP for a 72" deck.

I also mow with my Kioti DK 35 with an 84" rear finish mower, and it works well too.
But my zero turn ( 35 HP Hustler Super Z w/72" deck) will out mow it by a good bit.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #26  
I have been in the lawn care business for 13 years now, and here is my advise for your 7 acres.

First of all, brand name is not that important. A good dealer that you are comfortable dealing with is more important than what brand you buy. You won't get any service and probably won't be able to get any parts from a big box store, so I suggest you stay away from that.

Speed is not that important either. In my experience, you just can't go full speed in very many cases. Your lawn would have to be extremely level, and have wide open spaces to go full speed. We very rarely have the chance to run a mower at full speed.

For 7 acres, I would suggest a 60" deck. I would also suggest a 'mid-grade' commercial mower from a local dealer. If you go with something used, try to find something with less than 1000 hours. I changed 2 engines in 2015 that had about 1200 hours on them.

Most major brands of mowers offer 'homeowner' models, some 'mid-grade' models, and some heavy duty 'commercial' models. I think the 'mid-grade' would fit your needs, but may be on the upper end of your budget.

Also, a 60" ZTR will cover as much or more ground per hour as a larger tractor, because of the reduced turning time. Especially when you have lots of obstacles, such as trees, driveways, buildings, etc.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #27  
I'm gonna chime in here, I'm on my second Kubota zero turn, ZG 222. First was the earlier version. It's a little small for your yard. But, I have helped mowed ten acres of cemeteries, my own family's three acre cemetery. Before I pastured my yard at home, 5 acres. One acre at my moms. It's a 48 inch cut commercial unit. Kubota cut is pretty good quality. Not the best, but I would put there unit against anyone's on durability and reliability. It's has a hydraulic lift foot pedal deck. A jack under the front chassis to raise the mower up to change blades. A wide serpentine automotive drive belt on the blades, pto shaft to connect motor to gearbox. Only one belt on the whole unit. The mower weighs 1168 pounds. Good canister style air filter. I guess what I am getting at is that I have mowed a lot of hours with these units for my own use. I have also run some residential z mowers. There is no comparison, I understand trying to save money, bout when it comes to something like a mower, they will nickel and dime you to death after the first few years if your lucky on the acerage you have. I am not pushing Kubota either. There is several good units at a better price point. I have had super good luck with them. Mowing harder than a lot of people that do it for a living. They are easy to service. Kubota has good financing also if needed. LUTT

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #28  
I don't know where you live in MI. But, I own a Lawn service business with my son. We have had Farris, Grasshopper and he found a Wright Stander. I fought it till I used one We have a 52 and a 61 Wright Stander. We mow 70 lawns a week. I wouldn'ttrade any mower for one of these. The closest dealer to us is in Fort Wayne In. That is over 500 miles away.. I need a part and I can call and have it in two days. We put over 200 hours a year on these mowers and have yet had to load one on the trailer because of a brake down. WE buy them used or a demo. Best mower I have found. Not all of our mowing are pretty lawns. Some are fields and there is no trouble getting the job done.

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #29  
48~50" fabricated deck. 10mph travel speed. 25 to 28 HP.

If you go bigger on the deck you need a dead flat lawn.

That points to the Ferris 600 or 700, or Simplicity Citation. I have the latter.

I agree with most of the advice about commercial vs the box store ztr's. AN rfm would be an option like the op stated. I have two Simplicity Citations, one with a Briggs and one with a Kawasaki commercial FX engine, both with mulching kits which I really like.

I see the new Citations are Briggs only.

Anyway, prior to the Citations I had a Simplicity Champion and I would suggest the op look at this model for price point. They now make two models of Champions both are upgraded from one I had. My dealer had them around $4200 and $4800 last year.

I'm just relating to brands I am familiar with and not claiming other brands don't have similar price point models that would also be of a similar capability / quality. The shocks on the Ferris and Simplicity z turns are nice.

Seven finished acres for the op is a lot of lawn and money spent now for time savings and durability would be worth a quality machine if budget allows. I know the op is not talking about the real low cost z turns, but I'll relate the following:

I have had people ask me about z turns and I tell them the prices and they might say that's too much or Lowes's has z turns for $2,200. I'll explain a little and then usually say if their budget is $1,500 to $2,500 they are better off buying the regular riding mower at Lowes or preferably I recommend the local dealer.

I said it to my neighbor this way. He had an old Cub Cadet (that he wound up nicely restoring) that belonged to his dad. He could not believe a z turn was $4,000-$5,000 or more for a decent grade. So I asked him what his dad paid for that Cub new in 1970-71. And he said it was around $1,000-1,100. Since my dad bought a similar one (I now use to pull trac vac). I had used an inflation calculator and told him that would be the same as you spending $5,000 or more now.

He went out and bought a decent JD from a dealer for around $4,200., that has and will serve him well. The point is at the time those old Cubs were the premium lawn tractor of the era and correlates in a way to these z turn costs now. And correlates that I must be older than I think I am!

But, IMO nothing beats the z turn. Although like Sawyer Rob and 4570man stated a front mount z turn could be the best...now those are expensive :)

/ Buying a Zero-Turn Mower #30  
I agree that brand names don't really matter on these machines.

Consider that most components are shared between the entire industry. Engines, pumps and hydro transmissions, belts, blades, rims and tires, seats... In reality you're buying each companies deck and frame design, and their ability to put all the common, shared parts together on their own frame.

I have a Hustler Super Z diesel 66". These run $12k-14k. I had been in the market and was finding alot of "entry commercial" options in 60" from all the major brands. Then I found this as a very low hour unit, got a great price, and jumped on it.

I like my Hustler, it cuts great and is very dependable. I cut about 5 acres of my own property, but I use it mainly commercially.

Several of my friends also have landscape companies. One friends cuts with a Scag Cheetah and it's nice also. Another friend cuts with eXmark and those, too, are nice. Yet another cuts with Gravely, and another with Bobcat (Ransomes) and those are nice also.

Honestly, any entry level commercial unit will be good. My neighbor burned up a new Husqvarna box-store ZTR in 2 years. If you sit on them and compare, you'll see the obvious differences between these box-store models and the commercial units.

When I was shopping, I found that for about $6k you could get a good entry level commercial 60" mower. And, most of them were offering 0% for 48 months, or low financing to 60 months.