Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #1  

horstuff

Bronze Member
Hi. I am trying to decide between a Kubota BX23 and a New Holland TC24D. I know they are two different class or size of machines, but I can see benefits to having either in my situation. A little bit of outside opinion will go a long way right now.

Ok, here goes:

First off, I can't decide if I should get a small tractor that will be the most versatile, or a bigger one that can handle tough jobs, but may not get used in as many areas as a smaller one. I also half think that once I have one of these, I ain't gonna wanna sell it. But, right now, I have to plan on doing that.

I have 1.5 acres, about one acre of which that will be worked/maintained.

My main criteria, at least in theory, is resale value. I want to cover my &#$ by planning on selling it in a year or two. May never happen, but I want to try now to make that as possible as it can be. Obviously, buying a new machine is not the best way to go, pound for dollar. But, because of dealer financing, it may be the only way that I can swing getting one right now, and I absolutely need something right now. If I don't get a move on, I will soon have a weed patch once again on my recently cleared and roughly finished ground (trackhoe is done, left it ready to rock, stick, and rake).

My needs now are:
Cleaning the cleared area by rocking/sticking/raking, moving and spreading maybe 100 yards of topsoil (some on 5' high berms that are narrow and steep), prepping the turf for lawn seed by raking/dragging, spreading and dressing about 50 yards of 5/8"- gravel, moving and spreading about 20 yards of sand in the base of a pond (before the liner is applied), picking up/dragging rocks and cedar stump snags that were unearthed (placing them next to or on the berms or in corners of the yard), maybe digging about 30 fence post holes (that's a maybe, but I think so...), digging up a few small (8"-10" diameter) stumps, moving some ice storm damage into a burn pile (limbs and small stumps), tending the burn pile (small, maybe 8x8x6), a couple of power/water trenches (200' - 300' total), digging holes for nursery-bought trees, and moving maybe 20 yards of ornamental rock around to little islands in the lawn.

I will not be mowing with the tractor. Any grass I have will be ornamental lawn, and I will just buy a rider which will let me bag (from my research, a mid-mount mower for a tractor starts at about $1200.00 new, and a bagger about the same, so it makes no sense to me to pay $2400.00 for something that a riding mower half or two thirds the price will do). I originally thought I would get as small a rig as I could that could still take a backhoe, then put turf tires on it and a mid-mount mower. The more I think about it, the more unsure I am of that logic.

I am absolutely sure I am missing things on the list above, but that is all can I think of right now. Again, these are my immediate needs. Down the road, I know that I will need a rig for something (moving lumber/railroad ties, pulling snags out of the woods, doing something for a friend or neighbor that they may not have the gear to do a certain task :)

Of the two, the Kubota BX23 seems like the coolest little package, just because it is so unique in that it is small enough to be a lawn tractor, but big enough and versatile enough to do alot of work. You can get **** near any implement for it. Having said that, I started looking at it because I was on the lawn tractor/work rig kick, still trying to kill all birds with one stone. Like I said, I am kind of off that now, but the thing is so intriguing, I want to make sure I don't pass it up in favor of a bigger rig, then decide that it would be the perfect machine to have on small acreage like mine. It would definitely take longer to accomplish my immediate tasks at hand, and it may not be enough machine for some of them, and I may wish to God that I had a bigger machine for some of it, but after the dust cleared, it would be an amazing little thing to have around. BUT... my gut feeling and opinion about the bigger New Holland - it is more of a "real" tractor, with higher ground clearance and overall mammothness. It can haul more dirt in it's bucket, and it is heavier, so it won't cry as much when you task it. Plus, I have always loved the look of it, and I have always wanted one, and would feel quite full of myself riding around on it.

I can see resale value in both machines, each appealing to a different market, although I am not at all clear about which resale market would be bigger here in the Seattle area (it is wet around here, and there are big trees in the woods, and there are alot of 5 acre horse properties).

My gut feelings about both of them:

Kubota BX23 - would appeal to alot of people who don't have major work to do, but rather farm maintenance like moving hay around, and it is small enough to park in a shoebox. It feels solid and well built, smooth operation all the way around.

New Holland TC24D - very cool. I love the color, shape, feel, etc. Felt alot like an old 8N, which is what I cut my tractor teeth on in a previous lifetime (my previous neighbor had one and went out of town for long stretches, leaving me to mow his 5 acres. I loved it).

Tires - Kubota dealer says that calcium in the tires isn't necessary with this rig (just keep the hoe on the back), New Holland dealer says that all their machines have tubes and calcium already in them. As far as tread, I'm thinking about the R4. They seem to be a good compromise and very versatile, but, maybe I am once again trying to kill all birds with one stone and should concentrate on getting a single machine for each job. But, I am also trying to appeal to the largest number of buyers for resale. Aargh...

Of the dealers, at this point, I think I felt that the New Holland dealer knew his stuff best, even though they are a small outfit. Plus, the New Holland dealer offered to let me test the rig at my place. I'm sure there would have been a bit of hard sell once it was sitting on my property, but I appreciated the offer. I guess it was a toss up between both as far as competency. The Kubota dealer was kind of a stereotypical used car salesman type.

Kubota - free warranty work pick up and return.
New Holland - free warranty work pick up and return, charging only if you are in a big hurry and they have to go out of their way (maybe the Kubota dealer is the same, don't know).

Both are 4 wheel drive and are priced with hydrostatic transmission and a backhoe that is sized for the machine (dealer recommended implement, not after-market or too much for the machine). I have not included the price of a rear blade or rear landscape rake - no matter which tractor I go with they are all around $500.00, so I am omitting them from the comparison to keep it simple. The prices below are for TLB (Tractor, Loader, Backhoe). The financing for both can be 3 years no interest or 5 years at 3.9% or so, and everything in between. Prices do not include tax. They both have free initial setup and delivery. The only problem with either of them financing wise is that the Kubota requires 10% down. That will take away from my seed money, which is very tight indeed. The New Holland requires no down.

I know I am comparing totally different beasts, and each may be in a different class of machine, hence the price spread. I'm not sure exactly how different the machines are, but as you can see, my objective and best course of action is pretty unclear to me now, hence this request for a reality check.

KUBOTA BX23 - $15,000
NEW HOLLAND TC24D - $22,500

Any thoughts you all may have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very, very much in advance.

Bobby

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #2  
the work you descibe screams tc 24, the bx is alittle small for the extent of work and low ground clearence would be an issue. the resale would be the same respective of size. I think you'd be dicouraged with bx and loose money trading for tc 24 in a year anyway. your not planing on mowing so no real reason for the bx's small size. the 24 is much more capable of the job, the bx would do it but in a much longer time frame.

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #3  
Horstuff, I agree with gone that the NH will handle the job all the better , But are you sure you want to buy versus rent a machine since your stating that you'll probably sell it later /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess if you rent you'll have to be in a hurry and if you own you can take your time with all your jobs? I suppose you'll find plenty of reasons to use the tractor if its there ,also IMHO for that size tractor a resale would be somewhat enhanced with a turf tire over the the r4 but with a BH on it ,it would be a toss-up. R4's aren't too bad if the ground isn't soft or damp, That's my nickels worth...(have fun) which ever way you go /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #4  
The BX is a great mowing tractor and a decent small tractor. The TC24D is a great small tractor and a decent mowing tractor. Your jobs do not include mowing.

I own blue & orange. Been spending a lot of time this week on my B2910, but that is because the jobs I am doing require it. I am lucky enough to have choices and I pick the tool that the job requires. In your case, I think you'd be better off with the machine suited to the jobs at hand, that would steer me to the TC24D.

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #5  
Try looking at Massy Ferguson 2310........

Same size as BX but less Dollars

DougM

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #6  
I own a 24D and looked at Kubotas (mdls bigger than the BX). I felt for my needs the BX was too small and anyway my legs were too long so it didnt investigate too much. For sure the Kubotas are nice machines but, like I said, I didnt fit on many of them and the dealer could sell them for list and wasnt interested in dealing. So, for my 2acres I wound up w/ the 24D. I use it to mow, till, move snow, grade, some light skidding and loader work. It does all that really well and Im very happy w/ it. Its easy to maintain and can do *a lot* of work quickly yet compact enough to get into tight places and easily. However, its rather narrow and tall which makes it somewhat tippy on hills and very uneven ground. Its not a big problem but you do need to pay close attention in those instances and go slow. The other thing to watch for is that the loader is pretty strong and you can easily load up it up beyond whats safe for going down steep hills. For any extensive loader work youll need loaded tires or wheel weights and something heavy hanging on the 3pt. That said it would be able to handle the work you need done and much more quite handily.

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #7  
Having a small subcompact myself, by the desciption of work you need to do, go with the NH.
I don't think you would be happy with the SCUT. Not saying it would not do the work, but would take lots longer.

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #8  
Horstuff,

First, regardless of color you need to decide size.

I think the BX23 might be a little small for what you want to do. If for no other reason than the 3PH is on the small side and does not hook up or lift the standard cat 1 implements that well.

One you decide that a TC24D is the way to go, then you need to compare what other colors offer for the same size machine. Perhaps then you would be comparing to something like the Kubota B7500 or whatever other brand might be local to you.

My gut is telling me that the TC24D may be what you really want. Some here have larger tractors than that on smaller properties. RickJay always comes to mind as he has a B2910 Kubota TLB on 2/3 acres...

For reasons mentioned by the others above, something larger than the BX may be best in the long run. BUT this does not address the resale issue. That is very much a local issue. Perhaps you should ask dealers in your area which would be easier to sell in a couple years if you would buy one.

One other thing. While it is true that it might make more sense to buy a dedicated riding mower in place of a mower for the "real" tractor...there is not comparison between the two when you are in the seat mowing!

This "Garden tractor vs real tractor" for mowing has been beaten to death here in the past, and we all have our own opinions on the subject, by personally I enjoy mowing on my BX more than I can tell you. No more of those Sears or MTD things in my future. A mmm on the real tractor is the way I will always go. Might be better for resale also, but if you sell you will need to buy a mower...so my logic may be flawed.

Now I also have a B2910 to do the other chores... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In my case, while I love the B2910, I think in the long run if I had to have only one tractor it would be something between the two I have, which is probably a B7500 kubota or a TC24d size New Holland, or whatever JD has, or Kioti, or ???

Happy hunting! And remember the TBN rule of thumb:

Few trade down, most keep what they got or buy larger!

Hope I phrased that right... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let us know what you end up buying, and don't forget a picture or two... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my case, while I love the B2910, I think in the long run if I had to have only one tractor it would be something between the two I have, which is probably a B7500 kubota or a TC24d size New Holland, or whatever JD has, or Kioti, or ???

Happy hunting! And remember the TBN rule of thumb:

Few trade down, most keep what they got or buy larger!)</font>

Henro, As I sit here contemplating a tractor for the fiftieth time this morning, I have to tell you that this advice keeps ringing in my ears. I have seen this note from you and others in a couple of other posts and so far it is the piece of advice I keep remembering. Thanks.

On a lighter note, the other thing that stays with me from your posts is <font color="blue">Pgh PA</font> . I keep wondering about that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I always thought pigs had feet or hooves, not paws. Oh well, just one more thing I have learned here at TBN /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23? #10  
Henro . . . the B7500 (now called the 7510) is only a 21hp model, it compares well with the TC21D. I think an apples to apples comparison would be the B7800 to the TC24D.

I looked at and priced the B7500 & 7800 last year when I bought my TC24D. At the time, the dealer was not willing to deal (he later called back after I bought the NH but still wasn't low enough). Just for comparision, I paid $10,600, delivered to my door in June of last year for my TC24D. The B7800 was a shade over $12,000 plus sales tax. I actually went back to play with the B7800 and have no regrets about buying the TC. In fact, I have really come to appreciate the view in front of the tractor over the sloped hood and the comfort of the operators station. Obviously each of us fit differently on tractors, so that is just my opinion.

I do know that I've been cleaning a field behind a warehouse for the past few days with the B2910 and I'm glad I have it because that is the right tool for that job. The little NH would have been undersized for the amount of work I had to do, and the two tractors are not really that different in capabilities. I think my experience this week goes back to the original post that was asked, and that is that he needs to pick the right SIZE tractor for his tasks. The BX is probably too small. A 7800 or 24D would probably both be much better suited to his jobs.